Condottiere» Forums » General

Subject: Imbalanced?!! Some thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dw
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played my first game last night with 4 players. (FFG Version) I have not played the Euro version, but i've read http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/236910 and I still feel the Euro version is a little bit random and unbalanced. But let me say what I think about the FFG Version.

I found the cards vastly imbalanced.

For example.

Winter is a powerful card. However Spring which should be the equivalent is quite useless if someone else plays a higher Merc card than you, then your 3 points vanish into someone else's battle line. All Spring is really good for is getting rid of Winter. If that's so, then there should be more Spring cards instead of an equal amount. I think Spring cards should only affect the player who played it. It would make for a much better game.

The Drummer card and the Bishop are very very powerful. Chances are if you have both these cards in your hand and some decent Mercs, then you should have much trouble winning that round. The drummer could be made weaker by only affecting the lowest 2 or 3 merc cards in a player's battleline. Then again, this would leave the Bishop card unchecked. Anybody else got any other ideas?

The Heroine also seems vastly overpowered as well. Not affected by anything? Need i say more? Maybe we need a "Hero" card to counter this.

How about this?
Hero trashes Heroine and forces Joan of Arc to go back home and do the dishes instead of gallavanting the battle field in men's clothes.

The Scarecrow is one of the most useless cards i've seen in any game. It can take back cards? Why would you want to do that when at the end of the battle, all your cards go to the discard and you all draw ten fresh cards again? I see only very small tactical benefit in removing cards back into your hand. There are only a few times when I do this. Why horde the cards? This card could be made more powerful if it could affect other players battle lines. To make it more fair, maybe 4 scarecrows to destroy one merc card on an opponent's battle line. I mean why 16 scarecrows? how many cards do you want to take back into your hand?

Last night, i drew a hand with 5 scarecrows and a bunch of low level mercs. Imagine if they could destroy other player's battle line? I'd be actually doing something instead of just discarding scarecrow cards.

The courtesan cards are very good actually, they add another level of subtlety into the game.

Some other suggestions...

How about a spy card? Look at another player's hand. That would be pretty awesome if you could see another players hand or maybe only his merc cards or all his special cards.

Other another note, the game production is awesome, very attractive, I had no trouble getting people to play this, especially since the rules are so easy to grasp. I just wish the cards were more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jean
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say go play a couple more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Why would you want to do that when at the end of the battle, all your cards go to the discard and you all draw ten fresh cards again?"

You DO NOT get new cards at the end of most battles. That's why scarecrows are so useful. Check the rules again about when you get fresh cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atomic Wedgie wrote:
The Heroine also seems vastly overpowered as well. Not affected by anything? Need i say more? Maybe we need a "Hero" card to counter this.
True, she isn't affected by winter. But there aren't too many of them in the deck (if even more than one IIRC). Plus, she can't be put back into your hand by using the Scarecrow. Once you commit her, that's that. The futility comes when you do commit her and someone uses Spring to return the strengths of their own Mercenaries, plays a Bishop card (making the whole round moot), or Surrender card before you can build up your strength.

Atomic Wedgie wrote:
The Scarecrow is one of the most useless cards i've seen in any game. It can take back cards? Why would you want to do that when at the end of the battle, all your cards go to the discard and you all draw ten fresh cards again? I see only very small tactical benefit in removing cards back into your hand. There are only a few times when I do this. Why horde the cards? This card could be made more powerful if it could affect other players battle lines. To make it more fair, maybe 4 scarecrows to destroy one merc card on an opponent's battle line. I mean why 16 scarecrows? how many cards do you want to take back into your hand?
I remember this frustration specifically. You do NOT get a new deck of cards until 60% to 80% of players have "gone out", or have no cards left. There is a clause where you can discard all of your cards by declaring you have no Mercs, Heroines, nor other cards that contribute strength directly.

I gotta agree with all the other posts to date. Double check the rules to ensure you're not missing stuff and try a few more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Copple
United States
Northfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They only potential imbalances I percieve are:
A) a possible runaway leader issue. We (all 3 novices) played 5 games (not alot) and in every case the person who was getting 14 or 15 cards was able to simply outlast folks. I will readily admit that person was myself and the other 2 guys werent talking to each other and planning out how to stop me. These are Machavellian princes we're talking bout here. Plotting and backstabbing are meat and drink to these guys.

B) Surrender. This card is just sick. Sure only 3 in the deck, but one player didnt see one the entire nite thru those 5 games mentioned above. Bad luck sure, but Im not a fan of 1 card that can simply end a battle. Did I use it, sure thing. But I felt dirty afterwards.

Oh, and we made ridonkulous use of the Scarecrow card. Baiting people to use the Bishop, then 'Oops, that 10 Merc was just some straw and scraps. So Sorry."ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dw
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ah okay just realised i've been playing this game wrongly. this game is actually pretty awesome! but the spring cards still arent that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moldndecay wrote:

Oh, and we made ridonkulous use of the Scarecrow card. Baiting people to use the Bishop, then 'Oops, that 10 Merc was just some straw and scraps. So Sorry."ninja

When the bishop is played, I thought the highest cards were discarded right then. At least, that's how I lost my 10 Merc last game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daric Morris
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the Spring card is not that great but it does make Winter less powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.