Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Goa» Forums » General

Subject: Gameplay with 2 players: comparison with Agricola, Race for the Galaxy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa seems good with 2 players, so I'm considering getting it (I mostly play with my wife).

However, I'm only interested in games that bring us a new experience. We already have (and enjoy) Agricola and Race for the Galaxy: what would be the similarities and differences between Goa and these games? (action selection, improvements that allow you to do more and more, accumulation of victory points, replayability,...; I guess the bidding mechanism sets Goa apart, but I'm not sure by how much).

Any comment on this would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that the game was out of print. If you do know where it can be obtained, do share the info, considering getting it for me and my wife too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Goa can be good with 2, it is not a lot like Agricola or Race for the Galaxy.

Because of the way the auctions work, the game is more interactive than Agricola or Race. You have to keep track of how much money your opponent has, and the game is very unforgiving if you lose track, and end up bidding too much/too little at a critical moment. Running out of money is death in 2p Goa.

In terms of replayability, it is much less replayable than Agricola or RftG but that is not saying much; both of those games can be played dozens (hundreds?) of times without losing their appeal. Goa's replayability is primarily rooted in the ability to try out different development paths, and since it is a long and rather brain-burny game, you probably won't want to play it more than once at a time.

I suppose where Goa is similar to the other two is that it's a Euro development game where you build up an economic engine to make your later actions much more efficient than your earlier ones. So other than being in the same general category of game, I would say it's quite a different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eric,

I've only played Goa twice, but I can say it's completely different from Agricola & Race For The Galaxy. The main thing setting it apart is the auction mechanic; no such bidding in Agricola or RftG.

However, Goa is out of print currently - so if you're able to get a well-hidden copy in some games shop or 2nd hand one, then I'd say go for it!

Cheers,

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camp Mora
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa is out-of-print.

I have my copy :p , and last year's Essen i saw some for sell (and cheap!).

However, this year, i saw no copy of Goa. I suppose it will be hard to find until a new edition comes.

From my point of view, the best of those games for 2p, is RftG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mey-ying Kao
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Goa is very nice with two players. I have never played Race for the Galaxy so I can only compare it to Agricola.

Agricola is about selecting actions (and thereby blocking actions for your opponent) and building your own farm, and thus collect points. The scoring requires you to have a bit of everything, and the way you play relies quite a bit on what your opponent does. f.e. If he takes the wood every single turn, you are obliged to focus on something else.

In Goa you start off by auctioning off certain tiles, some of them are necessary, some can help you throughout the game, or just one time, or are of use at the end etc. This is a really fun and interactive part of the game, but can also be very competitive. How badly do you want to be starting player? Will you rather auction off something that can make you a lot of money, or take something your opponent doesnt need, so that you can buy it for little money. Here the decision making starts..

After that, on your turn, you have the same options as your opponent. So there is no blocking here. You are mainly playing your own game, and do the things you think will be the most efficient way to gain points. Will you advance on your player board so that your next action will give you more (ships/money etc), or will you start another colony, will you take resources or do you prefer to take money so you have more to spend on the next auction so that you can outbid your opponent etc.

In short: I think that Goa gives a very different experience from Agricola. The gameplay is so different: while Agricola basically wants you to have a bit of everything, here it is really up to you, what you think will give you the most points. Moreover in Goa you don't have an opponent to screw up your strategy by blocking actions. The only time your opponent can be really in your way is if he plays a bit mean during the auction :P S
Finally there is one thing very similar to Agricola and that is the feeling that you don't have enough turns/actions to do all the stuff that you want :P

I hope this helps..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot compare GOA with either of those games you mentioned. Goa is a great game and for sure worth getting! Go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soojin wrote:
I was under the impression that the game was out of print. If you do know where it can be obtained, do share the info, considering getting it for me and my wife too.

Goa is available in various online shops in France (http://www.twenga.fr/offre/8245/4242449131169641874.html, http://www.twenga.fr/offre/8125/4848827942645808761.html).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks! Thanks to the detailed comments, I now see what Goa could bring us. Goa sounds great. cool

Before reading about Goa (in this thread and elsewhere), I could not really find a game with bidding that would be satisfying with 2 players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.