Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me first say - I voted for John McCain and I do not agree with the politics of President-Elect Obama. Having said that, I am incredibly happy and proud as an American for one reason - this nation has proven it is mature and intelligent enough to be able to elect an African-American man as president. It feels so good that we have finally beaten back the generations of bigotry and racism that for years divided this country, overtly in earlier times, and more covertly in modern times. Finally, the USA demonstrates that it will not allow the color of a person's skin to trump ideas when electing leaders to the highest offices in the land. When I was a kid, this result would have been unimaginable, and now, it's reality. Thank God! Now, here's hoping Mr. Obama can truly lead the country to greater things. I didn't vote for you, Mr. Obama, but I wish you success, because you are our president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, it could just be that people discriminate more on age than color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Although it hasn't happened yet, I am confident that it will.)

It's great to live in a country where the party in power gets almost 50% of the popular vote, but will still hand over power peacefully. And other than some very paranoid folks, no one ever doubts that it will happen. This is something for which to be truly thankful.

While Obama isn't my first choice of a black president, I, too am very happy that our country has progressed to such a point that it's possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Again with the same misconception. Clinton was the first black president. At least, so said the congressional black caucus in 2001.

Silliness aside, there are a number of presidents that are suspected of having black ancestry of some amount. I'd be quite suprised if Obama were truly the first president to be not completely white. It's still encouraging that a man with obvious racial diversity can be elected, but to be completely accurate he most likely isn't the first.

Stop wasting my electrons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm proud of the United States every day. There are times I'm not proud of individuals, groups, organizations, or political parties, but I'm always proud of the USA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I am proud of the United States today!

For the first time in your adult life? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
When I was a kid, this result would have been unimaginable, and now, it's reality. Thank God! Now, here's hoping Mr. Obama can truly lead the country to greater things. I didn't vote for you, Mr. Obama, but I wish you success, because you are our president.
Too true. I'm very happy that my children will be growing up in a world where it's always been possible for a minority to be president. About 4-8 years ago it seemed inconceivable, even for someone that grew up in the '80's. Wonderful times.

As you noted you didn't vote for him and you weren't alone. Obama may have one the electoral college in a land slide, he won the popular vote by the slimmest of margins and I hope that he doesn't forget that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RKFade wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
I am proud of the United States today!

For the first time in your adult life? ninja

He, he,...good one! But no, unlike that infamous statement of the First Lady-elect, in my case, I've always been proud of this country for many things, 'though at times I've been disappointed as well, but today, I'm especially proud that we've progressed in the area of race to this degree!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's far from a dead issue. Take a trip to under funded inner city schools to see some of the problems facing minorities (amongst other places). Hopefully, it'll raise moral across the country as children of any color can believe that such a goal is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdiddy13 wrote:

As you noted you didn't vote for him and you weren't alone. Obama may have one the electoral college in a land slide, he won the popular vote by the slimmest of margins and I hope that he doesn't forget that.

Slimmest of margins?

(Post WWII/FDR)

2008 - 6% (Right now)
2004 - 2.4%
2000 - -.5%
1996 - 8.5%
1992 - 5.3%
1988 - 7.8%
1984 - 18.2%
1980 - 9.7%
1976 - 1.9%
1972 - 23.2%
1968 - .7%
1964 - 22.6%
1960 - .1%
1956 - 15.4%
1952 - 10.9%
1948 - 4.5%

Avg (not counting 2008): 8.7%

OK, so it wasn't a huge win like '64 or '72, but its not far off the average margin of victory for a President in the modern time frame. Hardly the "slimmest of margins".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
To me, racism is a dead issue. It's about time that they got that chip off their shoulder, it's been what, 180 years since Olaudah Equiano now.
Rosa Parks had her famous stand just 53 years ago, Martin Luther King, Jr was shot 40 years ago, many of the people alive then are still alive now and this issue is still affects them today. Many blacks have been pulled over for nothing more than driving a car in the wrong neighborhood. This happens even today.

I'd love for the race issue to not be an issue, but the facts are that racism is alive and well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:

OK, so it wasn't a huge win like '64 or '72, but its not far off the average margin of victory for a President in the modern time frame. Hardly the "slimmest of margins".

Thanks for collecting the numbers on that.

Here's another note...if we were only to count the states that Obama won with a margin of at least 5%, he still wins the election. So even had McCain managed to win EVERY state that was even halfway close, he still would have lost.

The results may not have been a landslide (depending on your definition of the word) but it wasn't a close election either.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:

I think you're reading into 'slimmest'. I'm not using it in the absolute, as in "There's never been a slimmer margin" but that it was still a very close race. For such a record turn out, nearly half the country did NOT vote for Obama. That's an important statistic to keep in mind, in my opinion. That's a HUGE number of people. To forget such an amount would not be a good thing, and certainly not represent the country as a whole.

I remember the Republicans pointing out such a "mandate" in 2004, and it seemed just as absurd and distasteful then as it does now. It was a record breaking year. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I wouldn't be surprised if more voted for McCain this year than did Bush in 2004, just as more voted for Kerry in 2004 than did for Bush in 2000.

So yes, a very slim margin. Forgetting that and acting like they have a clear 'mandate' will likely get him and all those elected this election ousted the next time around, just like it did the Republican party this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I agree with your sentiment, kdiddy. I very much like that Obama didn't speak as if he was given a mandate, but rather spoke of working for the people who didn't support him as much as for the people who did. He's saying the right things. Here's hoping he lives up to that.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note that while it wasn't a 'close' election, it was by no means as if he got 80 or 90% of the public to vote for him. There is a very large portion of the country that did not vote for him. I have no interest in seeing their interests forgotten, regardless of the margin of his victory.

Octavian wrote:
For the record, I agree with your sentiment, kdiddy. I very much like that Obama didn't speak as if he was given a mandate, but rather spoke of working for the people who didn't support him as much as for the people who did. He's saying the right things. Here's hoping he lives up to that.

-MMM
Agreed. His speech (as was McCain's) was suitably hopeful and continued to speak not of mandates and the will of those who voted for him, but the will of the country as a whole. Here's hoping he lives up to his promises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
kdiddy13 wrote:
I should note that while it wasn't a 'close' election, it was by no means as if he got 80 or 90% of the public to vote for him.

Honestly, I'd be worried about the health of our democracy if a Presidential candidate ever gets 80 or 90% of the vote.

While I agree that winners should only ignore the wishes of non-supporters at their own peril, I think it is equally foolish to diminish the accomplishment of winning a majority of the popular vote. Obama received 7.3million (and counting) more votes than McCain. He had the largest share of the popular vote that we've seen in 20 years - Clinton never broke 50%, W. managed 51% and a 2 point margin four years ago.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By no means am I hoping to diminish his astounding win. Such record turn out for both candidates is truly a wonderful thing. I'm just pointing out that because it was a 7.3 million win by no means gives him an excuse to act like an ass, forgetting the staggering numbers that didn't vote for him. I didn't like it when Bush et al. pulled that BS in 2004, and I'd be remiss if I went along with it for Obama.

Obviously, this is a bit of a flawed analogy (most are), as you can always run multiple games, but hypothetically, let's say you couldn't. It'd be like holding a game night for 10 friends. 6 want to play one game and 4 want another. Obviously, the 6 will get to play the game they wanted, but hopefully, everyone would recognize the need to keep the game group healthy and happy, and work out a way to make some concessions for the 4 who didn't get their choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:

Maybe Americans will stop making movies like Crash now where racism is the central issue and I feel like I just don't get it. I've always wondered if it's as bad as the media has told me over the years (or some of my friends who do business in the south). To me, racism is a dead issue. It's about time that they got that chip off their shoulder, it's been what, 180 years since Olaudah Equiano now.

- J

It bothers me too. Obama didn't run his campaign on "I'm black, lets make history!" - and yet that is exactly how the media is covering it and how too many of his supporters are acting. His supporters should be rejoicing over their chance to enact all the "real changes" they've been talking about, and instead its about race.

Sadly racism isn't over. The small minded are still largely out there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I won't be excited about race until a black/hispanic/whatever does something cool and NO MENTION of his race is made. Then I'll say "sweet . . . we made it."

But as for now . . . "this just in . . . breaking news . . . a black man tried hummus today and liked it!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Heimburger
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
Sadly racism isn't over. The small minded are still largely out there...

I think this is a huge step in the right direction, though. I think if Obama had run as a grievance candidate a la Jesse Jackson, he would've fallen by the wayside early on in the primaries. The fact that he won based on his ideas about how the country should look is a huge deal.

I didn't vote for Obama, but like the OP, I'm intensely proud to be an American today. What an amazing place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
RKFade wrote:
I won't be excited about race until a black/hispanic/whatever does something cool and NO MENTION of his race is made. Then I'll say "sweet . . . we made it."

It's great to be excited about reaching the destination, but that doesn't mean you can't be excited about the journey too.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Octavian wrote:
RKFade wrote:

It's great to be excited about reaching the destination, but that doesn't mean you can't be excited about the journey too.

-MMM

I honestly think "being excited" about the journey slows it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Roberts
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am proud of the United States as well.
Think about the anger and venom that where being spread. All the nasty emails etc. Those people are not rioting in the streets. There will be no civil war about this. Obama will take the office and he will lead us in a new direction. 4 years from now we will do this all again and he will either win, or we will make another change.
That's kinda incredible. Look at the other countries in the world. How many of them can say as much? It takes special people to be willing to be governed by people you disagree with. We are a great people. Today we have shown again that we deserve what has been handed down to us. Our Faith in each other is our strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. Well put, Pat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
RKFade wrote:
Octavian wrote:
RKFade wrote:

-MMM

I honestly think "being excited" about the journey slows it down.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? You're less likely to get lost if you take your time. (How far can we push this metaphor?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.