36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: games good for 2 player that are non aggressive players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Stewart
msg tools
My wife and I play board or card games about 3 or 4 times a week. Here is a list of games we play and the order in which we like them. We love all of these games.

1. Ticket to Ride
2. Settlers of Catan the Card Game
3. Civilization the Card Game
4. Settlers of Catan
5. Civilization the Board Game
6. Other cards games ( UNO, Phase 10, poker, Munchkin)

She does not like to attack me unless she has no hope of winning the game. So aggressive games where you attack each other are out. She has fallen in love with Ticket to ride and we have played it 2 or 3 times a night since Last Saturday. She did the same thing with the Settlers and Civilization card games.

games that are good for 2 players but can play with 3 more will be fine.

We switch the games up here and there but I was wondering if someone would suggest some more games that she might like to play.

Maybe Power grid or San Juan?

Thanks in advance
Camper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame
Race for the Galaxy
Dominion
Goa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan is a good choice, and is great with 3 or 4P, too. Just remember to remove the libraries when you play with 2.

I imagine the best choice for you and your wife is Mr. Jack. No blocking, no aggression, just a clever deduction game of cat-catch-the-mouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is Not Geddy Lee
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have enjoyed Mr. Jack and lately even Saga. Then of course there is Foreplay which she says I never play.

Ok, I am sorry for that last bit. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and Mrs Pepperhead have to give a thumbs up to Mr. Jack and also really enjoy Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers.

And by the way Welcome to BGG cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife likes Qwirkle and Blokus. You can attempt to screw the other person over, but it's such a minor part of the game that it shouldn't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to San Juan. It's a good one.

In general I've found that the Kosmos 2P line is very good. Odin's Ravens and Medici vs. Strozzi are both low-attack, good games from that line. (In OR you can sometimes move the other player back, but you always have the option of moving yourself *forwards* instead, so you don't need to attack much. And in MvS, you can take a cargo that's perfect for the other player...but you still don't blow up their boats or anything.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
May also want to look into:

Carcassonne: The Castle
Thurn and Taxis
Lost Cities

and

Mamma Mia! (Though the English rules leave out that you need to take out 5 of each pizza toppings in a two player game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan, most definitely! Very good game that is great for two players, perfect for you! thumbsup

I would suggest taking a look at Thurn and Taxis as well. Non-aggressive game that has some similiarities to Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
Dominion
Mr. Jack
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers
Are all fine games that I enjoy with my spouse.

Guillotine
Pandemic
These two also work very well with two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will suggest this simple, elegant, yet often overlooked game, Freight Train. It works very well with 2 and also all the way up to 5.

Very nice yet challenging little game with 3 rounds that have different bonus scoring opportunities and/or penalties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hseldon wrote:
My wife and I have enjoyed Mr. Jack. . . .

I'd try before you buy with Mr. Jack. It's a great game, but its movement + deduction mechanics just aren't everyone's cup of tea. If you end up liking it, great, but if not, better not to have spent the money (it doesn't have the universal appeal that Ticket to Ride does).

As 2P, we also enjoy the following together:
Bohnanza (the 2P "Bohn Duel")
Stone Age
Thurn and Taxis
Caylus

We own Goa, and have played it with 2P, 3P, and 4P, but it just doesn't tickle our fancy too much.

We both love Power Grid, but while playable with 2 (and it's nice to have multiplayer games that also work with 2) it definitely doesn't shine as a 2P.

And while they're not my wife's favourites, I'll certainly second the nominations for Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, and San Juan. Dominion is probably the most mass-appeal title of the three (my wife is turned off by the space theme of Race for the Galaxy, for example, and so far can't be talked into trying it).

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some less aggressive two player games that we play but can play with more:

San Juan
Thurn and Taxis
Alhambra
Pandemic (this is fully cooperative)
Some of the Mystery Rummy games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to be redundant, because I agree with several already suggested games. My girlfriend and I play a lot of 2 player and she doesn't really enjoy being attacked in any way, so even Settlers Card Game (which we played a lot of for a while) can be a bit confrontational when you start burning down someone's Aqueducts and such.

San Juan: good choice. Lots of fun, much more approachable for less serious gamers (i.e. girlfriends/wives) due to the english text and simpler mechanics (as compared to RFTG, I mean).

Thurn & Taxis: great choice. I think this is a better game than TTR anyways and it doesn't involve blocking people's routes, so it's good for non-confrontational gaming.

Carcassonne: The Discovery - I knew nothing about this one, but my girlfriend and I play lots of Carcassonne with a couple of expansions. She gets on fine with regular Carcassonne and the level of hostile play is just right that she enjoys trying to make a steal on my farms or cities, but the Discovery game doesn't have the aspect of stealing. You can still try to get in on someone else's work, but you won't be able to steal it from them entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no aggression againtst other players in Masons.

See Stimulation without Confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bran mcmillin
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good games mentioned already.

Vikings is also another one. Plays with 2 to 4, but works well with 2-players (3 would be my preferred number though). Not confrontational (despite the title), except if you call, someone buying up a tile/viking set that you really really wanted and they knew it, confrontational.

For 2 experienced players it is 30-45 minutes tops, and feels like plenty of meaningful decisions in that time. Also has an expansion set of tiles to add some complexity - I haven't even played with the expansion tiles yet, and have played at least a dozen games of this, so this suggests a good level of replayability.

I haven't played Power Grid with 2 - so can't really comment from experience. From reviews and comments playability with 2 is a mixed bag - it is certainly much better with more (say 4 -5 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
2Loud 4u
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and i love to play Alhambra. We play it over and over again. I would recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
Canada
East York
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fjords is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan seems like a good recommendation, but its hard not to recommend Race for the Galaxy instead. Assuming you and your wife can get over the initial "hump" it is a way more rewarding game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion actually plays well with 2 and depending on the card set choosen it can be aggressive or not.

Mr. Jack would be a great choice too.

Power Grid is an ok choice but it is much better with 4 players.

I personally don't care for San Juan and would rather just play Puerto Rico.

how about Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a little change, consider Ticket to Ride: Europe.

A good, semi-cooperative train game is TransAmerica or Trans Europa, though some people don't pick up on the strategy quickly. Vexation modifies either, giving more obvious and more confrontational strategy.

Goa is very liked by couples in my group, though it is considerably heavier and complex than the games you've been playing. It's about the only 2 player auction game I can think of.

Many other good suggestions have been made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
South Range
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife loves Jambo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
San Juan seems like a good recommendation, but its hard not to recommend Race for the Galaxy instead. Assuming you and your wife can get over the initial "hump" it is a way more rewarding game.

I agree that it's far more engaging and rewarding, however it's so rare for a wife/gf to be able to play it and actually enjoy it. San Juan just seems to be far more spouse/non-gamer friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.