Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
77 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Obama's promises rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to keep track of a president's promises to see how they do in getting them accomplished.

Would you please help me and list Obama's promises in this thread?

Thank you!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I like to keep track of a president's promises to see how they do in getting them accomplished.

Would you please help me and list Obama's promises in this thread?

Thank you!


Could you provide the lists you've created for past Presidential elections to serve as a template?

-MMM
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I can't. I'm not looking for categories or anything. Just a plain, unformatted list is fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
Octavian wrote:
Could you provide the lists you've created for past Presidential elections to serve as a template?


Let's start with Bush Sr.'s No New Taxes platform.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a bunch here: http://www.nationaljournal.com/campaigns/2008/wh08/promises....

Is this site accurate?

tax cuts for middle and lower income classes
tax increases for upper income classes
provide universal health care
withdrawal from Iraq
double renewable energy within four years
support abortion rights
reduce unintended pregnancies
strengthen anti-monopoly laws
create rural revitalization program
toughen hate crime laws
work to lift ban on gays serving openly in the military
push to outlaw job discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity
advocate equal treatment of same sex couples
penalize vote fraud
fight age discrimination
ensure equal pay for women
create prison-to-work program
forgive school loans of public defenders
end disparity in crack versus powdered cocaine sentencing
steer nonviolent offenders into rehab
fully fund community policing and development programs
ban racial profiling
strengthen nonproliferation treaty
support a global education fund
ban torture
close Guantanamo Bay detention center
create international anti-terrorism network
make cyber-security a federal priority
increase regulation of financial industry
add consumer credit protections
reform bankruptcy laws
double charter school funding
provide tuition assistance to students who perform community service
pay tuition for students going into teaching
double funding for after-school programs
end American dependence on foreign oil in ten years
cap carbon emissions
sign law to phase out incandescent light bulbs
create Global Energy Forum
put federal spending information online
post bills online before signing them
expand U.S. forces in Afghanistan
defend Israel
work to halve poverty worldwide
stop genocide in Darfur
prosecute insurance monopolies
crack down on mortgage fraud
create an affordable-housing trust
secure borders but implement process for illegal immigrants to become citizens
increase minimum wage every year
create youth service corps
expand civilian service corps
expand Senior Corps
provide every American broadband access
preserve Social Security, block privatization
remove capital gains taxes for small businesses
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A puppy.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No new taxes if you make 250K or less.
No new taxes if you make 200K or less.
No new taxes if you make 175K or less....
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rogeracox wrote:
No new taxes if you make 250K or more.
No new taxes if you make 200K or more.
No new taxes if you make 175K or more....


Wait...what?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
How about W's promise in 2000 which I took to heart . . . 2000 the last election in which I will ever vote for a "major" party candidate.

"No nation building."


FAIL.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RKFade wrote:
How about W's promise in 2000 which I took to heart . . . 2000 the last election in which I will ever vote for a "major" party candidate.

"No nation building."


FAIL.


He never said "No nation re-building."

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
rogeracox wrote:
No new taxes if you make 250K or more.
No new taxes if you make 200K or more.
No new taxes if you make 175K or more....


Wait...what?


Sorry 'bout that.

I kept hearing the "limit" of what makes one rich rise & decline, depending on where Obama was speaking--it reached 300K at one point and the lowest I heard was 120K.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
Its Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Snippets from his speech after sewing up the Democratic nomination
1" It's time to rebuild our military and give our veterans the care they need and the benefits they deserve when they come home."

2 "It's time to refocus our efforts on al-Qaida's leadership and Afghanistan,

3 " We must be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in—but start leaving we must."

4 "we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless"; 5 this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and 6 our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we 7 ended a war and 8 secured our nation and 9 restored our image as the last, best hope on earth."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rogeracox wrote:
Octavian wrote:
rogeracox wrote:
No new taxes if you make 250K or more.
No new taxes if you make 200K or more.
No new taxes if you make 175K or more....


Wait...what?


I kept hearing the "limit" of what makes one rich rise & decline, depending on where Obama was speaking--it reached 300K at one point and the lowest I heard was 120K.


Even so...you have him taxing the poor...

-MMM
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
rogeracox wrote:
Octavian wrote:
rogeracox wrote:
No new taxes if you make 250K or more.
No new taxes if you make 200K or more.
No new taxes if you make 175K or more....


Wait...what?


I kept hearing the "limit" of what makes one rich rise & decline, depending on where Obama was speaking--it reached 300K at one point and the lowest I heard was 120K.


Even so...you have him taxing the poor...

-MMM


Oops. Right. 'More" should be 'less'. Fixed it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess my timing is bad. I was hoping people would actually help.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not helping because I don't care about making a special list.

When he's president I expect him to fight for the things I elected him for. If he sits on his ass not doing them I'll be pissed. If he half-asses it I'll be grumpy. If he does as much as he can with the time and circumstances I'll be happy.

If we pull out of Iraq a bit later than I thought but there's a good reason I'm fine. If infrastructure takes a back seat to education and healthcare reform and he's got good reasons I'm fine. Same for all topics.

When the next election rolls around I'll vote for the guy I think is the best option.

I'm not keeping some stupid score card around and bitching that he got the multiple choice answer wrong. Standardized tests are stupid.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread, like most of them is about a Loki's Wager. People looking for answers, but none will be enough to take their neck. I hate playing this game but why not:

McCain made lots of promises too, and he'll be keeping none of them. What? He lost the election? Excuses.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but I'm really not getting the responses here. This isn't some kind of entrapment. I don't care about partisan politics. I just want to know what Obama said he would do and then see how well that goes.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Sorry, but I'm really not getting the responses here. This isn't some kind of entrapment. I don't care about partisan politics. I just want to know what Obama said he would do and then see how well that goes.



I don't believe you. I don't believe this thread would have even existed if McCain won instead of Obama. I disbelieve.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
quozl wrote:
Sorry, but I'm really not getting the responses here. This isn't some kind of entrapment. I don't care about partisan politics. I just want to know what Obama said he would do and then see how well that goes.



I don't believe you. I don't believe this thread would have even existed if McCain won instead of Obama. I disbelieve.


Yes, Chapel. You have a history of being a jerk to me. I don't care if you believe me. For the record, I like Obama a lot more than McCain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Sorry, but I'm really not getting the responses here. This isn't some kind of entrapment. I don't care about partisan politics. I just want to know what Obama said he would do and then see how well that goes.


Why?

You know his stance on Healthcare, the Environment, Education, Economy, ect. What's the use in having a silly list?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
You know his stance on Healthcare, the Environment, Education, Economy, ect. What's the use in having a silly list?


I don't, actually, not the specifics. That and what I said above is the use of having a list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrender wrote:

3 " We must be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in—but start leaving we must."


Obama is awesome.

First agree with what makes peopl angry, and then change it
slowly to make sure if nothing was done then the goal was
still achieved.

This is not a bash by the way, Obamas politcal skills are a
wonder to behold.

Maybe he can persuade a whole lot of people to stop being
such complete muppets.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
MusedFable wrote:
You know his stance on Healthcare, the Environment, Education, Economy, ect. What's the use in having a silly list?


I don't, actually, not the specifics. That and what I said above is the use of having a list.


Yeah well that is politics for you.
There are two resons to not provide specifics.

1) The people you are speaking to can push their expectations
over the top of the retoric, other wise they will say you are
not doing enough.

2) the people you are not speaking are deprived of a target
their attacks are vaguer(?) than your position.

I expect he will do something but it won't be much and it
won't be quick, probably some sort of gradual program.

He also really does not have any money to spend, which
always makes life difficult.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
MusedFable wrote:
You know his stance on Healthcare, the Environment, Education, Economy, ect. What's the use in having a silly list?


I don't, actually, not the specifics. That and what I said above is the use of having a list.

Did you vote not knowing any of that?

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

If anything isn't explained I'll be happy to dig around and help you find answers.

I didn't realize you where that uninformed. I've seen you post often enough, so I figured you would have taken the 5 minutes to read his website.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.