1 Posts

Mystery of the Abbey» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Lau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Grace, Dick and I happened to play a session of Mystery of the Abby (MotA) tonight. In fact, we have just bought a copy of MotA on behalf of our friend, Sui, this afternoon. Hope that we can have chance to play this wonderful game together later.

Anyway, back to the gaming session I talked about. This session is our third playing of this game. As in our previous games, Grace grasped an additional suspect card from Parlor at the early stage of the game. I seized the chance and went to Library to draw a card but it turned out to be totally useless. It allowed me to go to another room immediately. That's it. Nothing else.

Afterwards, Dick, with equal number of suspect cards as me, went to Library too. I felt terribly bad that he drew a card which allowed him to look at all but one suspect card of another player. I thought that it's the end of the game and I almost wanted to give up. There was no way for the rest of us to win when Dick took such a great lead. He knew 12 cards in total now...

Well, of course, I am a person with high esteem of myself and I wouldn't admit failure (until the final moment). We kept on playing and when we went through the third mass, I found that Grace hadn't seen Father Sergio. I deduced that Father Sergio was the murderer because Dick once answered me that he got only 1 father and I recorded that he gave me Father Matthew.

It turned out that I made a false accusation. The reason was that I made a wrong record about the suspect card given by Dick. I also forgot to record the time when this question was asked. It was very likely that Dick answered this question when there was still suspect cards remained in Parlor.

Anyway, I've got -2 point now and I had to be more careful. The game continued. Grace asked me directly whether I had ever seen Brother Malachi. Brother Malachi was kept by me secretly and no one ever knew. I felt very nervous because Grace and Dick would arrive the conclusion before me when I still got 3 or 4 suspects to be ruled out. Dick, immediately, made an accusation and claimed that Brother Harold was the murderer. I felt relieved because I knew that Grace kept Brother Harold. It was a good sign because even Dick had a good start but it seemed that Grace and me caught up quite fast. Dick, who made a false accusation, went to Penance as a result.

In the next mass, it was about the time to make a gamble. I sensed that all the other players were in the final stage and would arrive conclusion very soon. While I was still wondering which monk I should accuse, Grace made a revelation and claim that the murderer was a Novice. I, based on this hint given by Grace, made a successful accusation and confirmed that Novice Philippe was the murderer.

Finally, we got:
Wesley: +2 (won with the correct accusation)
Grace: +2
Dick: -2

The main lesson of this session was that while the Library card may be VERY strong, one still has to work hard to be the winner. We concluded that there was no need to remove these cards from the game after a such neat and beautiful demostration.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.