Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to a local station that describes what's going on. The vote is now waiting on around 40,000 provisional ballots that have to be handled.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/3903854/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Crap. It was my fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
Crap. It was my fault.

You cast 40,000 provisional ballots? Don't let the election officials find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ixnay on the audfray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orrysay. Ouray ecretsay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros, why were you forced into casting a provisional ballot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Most poll workers will probably find someone with pointy ears suspicious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I go to the NC SBOE web site to get the address for my polling place. Whuht? My old address from 2 years ago is still in there, despite my having changed it weeks ago. Oh well. I can go there and sort it out. A soon as it stops raining.

It never stops raining. I don't like the idea of standing in line in the rain with a baby for an indefinite amount of time. I line up a friend to watch The Dude while I go vote.

My wife calls to tell me she'll be home an hour early. I cancel the babysitter. My wife ends up getting home an hour late instead of an hour early. She arrives, I watch the baby for a bit while she changes and un-jobs. Then I split.

I go to the polling place. No line: awesome. I go in and have to bounce around between three people. After a team effort, I get the form I need and the address for my real polling place. I plug it into my GPS and go.

Screech. The traffic light at the exit of the old polling place is malfunctioning: it's stuck on red and I have to make a left turn. There's a giant tree completely obstructing my view of oncoming traffic. I have to inch out to see if there's an opening and pull back when there isn't. This lasts for two Tool songs while I wait for traffic to cooperate with me.

Finally I get out and pointed in the right direction. I get to the new polling place. Er, it's trees. I know there's nothing ahead, so it must be behind me. I turn around and go back to the nearest set of buildings, making the gps off by a couple blocks. I pull into the parking lot which joins a new strip mall and a new apartment complex with a very serious gate.

Assuming the polling place can't possibly be inside a private, gated community, I continue on and check the parking lot. No luck. I guess it is inside the gate. I pull up as the gate closes with no sign of a car having passed through. Mark this as Point A. I look around for some indication of how to get inside. No clue. I try zero, then some random numbers: no answer. A car pulls in behind me, but seems unable or unwilling to tell me how to get through the gate. Eventually, I have to honk and wave to get him to let me back out. I go back to the strip mall parking lot, park, get an umbrella, and walk through the rain to the pedestrian gate.

Interesting: even the pedestrian gates have keypads. Now I have to wait and go through the gate when the next car comes out. I do so. I walk into the club house. No line. Awesome again.

No, not really. The workers tell me the polling place is closed. The discussion of this fact takes a couple minutes while I explain the circumstances that led to this point. I pull my form from the original polling place, complete with the time it was issued, from my coat pocket. After a moment of awkward silence, one person says, somewhat snootily, "No one was here, so we closed the gates." Whuht? I point out that I was there. I manage to avoid saying, "I guess you did not see my bright orange car at the gate?"

After some shuffling, another person says, "The polls closed at 7:30." I pull out my phone, which automatically updates the time based on a network clock. It clicks over to 7:36. Mark this as Point B.

They explain there's nothing to be done. Incredulous, I say I don't understand how that could be the case, please help me out. I also don't understand how it is feasible that Points A and B were only 6 minutes apart, but decide it's best not to impugn their account of things.

Most of them affect a cold air of, "Too bad for you," accompanied by completely avoiding eye contact and setting their jaws. Maybe I'm projecting. But I know I have not conducted myself in any way that merits disdain. One person does seem to have some sympathy about the situation. "Let me call our supervisor," she says.

She walks off, then comes back a minute later. "Let's just have you fill out a provisional ballot. No matter how we do this, someone has to approve your ballot, so let's do it the same way we treat all special cases"

Great!

They fetch the paperwork Then I fill out the provisional ballot application, if that's the right word for it, and write an explanation of what my provision was, taking a whole page. I get a sheet of paper with a big pin number. Numerous pieces of paper are folded, spindled, stuffed into envelopes, and scribbled upon. I take a few minutes to go over my actual ballot line by line and fill it out correctly and completely. I ponder the only local issue and vote for it. We process more paperwork, I have to fold my ballot and cram it into another envelope. I thank the woman for her help.

I fetch my umbrella, walk back to my car, start it, call my wife to ask if I need to bring home dinner, tell her the whole story and look at the time: 7:55. My confidence in my sense of time is restored, and I head home.

In two weeks I'll call in and see if my vote counted. Big fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
AP Called NC for Obama like an hour ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Aetheros wrote:
Screech. The traffic light at the exit of the old polling place is malfunctioning: it's stuck on red and I have to make a left turn. There's a giant tree completely obstructing my view of oncoming traffic. I have to inch out to see if there's an opening and pull back when there isn't. This lasts for two Tool songs while I wait for traffic to cooperate with me.

Crap, that's a LONG TIME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.