Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok now that I have your attention, liberal's sucking is not what this thread is about.

It is about one of my the problems I have had with regards to how people address the President.

I have seen way to many times people refer to the President as Mr.[insert last name] or just by his last name. To me this is ridiculous the man is the leader of the free world. It shouldn't matter that you disagree with some of his issues he is still the President and should be addressed as such.

Presidents talk about reaching across the aisle as if there is some sort of fictitious line. Well the way I see it we are all on the same team we are just voting for captain of our team.

I myself, even though I didn't vote for nor did I agree with much of his platform, will address President Obama as such as should everyone else. Even if he screws up he is still the President. If you don't like his politics then in 4 years vote him out, but he is still the President and should be respected by all as such.

I did like his speech on Tuesday, I also liked McCain's speech, and even President Bush had a good speech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
it is considered improper to address a retired person by their formal title if that title is a unique one

This is extremely cool.

I never knew that.

Have some GG for teaching me something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Re: LIBERALS SUCK!!

My wife is liberal and I can tell you from personal experience: not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Quote:

Really?

Because last time we

never mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Who cares about proper titles? I don't want a president, on any country, that asks to be treated as a golden god. Instead, I want a president that realizes that he is the servant of his citizens, and works for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Quote:

I feel for you dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Actually, Jeff, to be perfectly correct it is considered improper to address a retired person by their formal title if that title is a unique one. Such as, when refering to Reagan, it is proper to call him Governor Reagan but not President Reagan, because there are many Governors but only one president. Strictly proper use of the term president only applies to the current sitting president.

So refering to Bush without "president" is disrespectful, but not so much with past presidents.

I was leaning to more of the current president than that of the previous ones even though I specifically stated that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
Quote:

I feel for you dude.

Nice of you to volunteer to take care of Joe's needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
it is considered improper to address a retired person by their formal title if that title is a unique one

This is extremely cool.

I never knew that.

Have some GG for teaching me something.
That is incorrect in regards to the US President. All presidents, past and current, are to be referred to as Mr. President or President [insert last name]. When one dies, it gets silly with a bunch of guys referring to each other as "President so-and-so", including the sitting president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
I have seen way to many times people refer to the President as Mr. or just by his last name. To me this is ridiculous the man is the leader of the free world. It shouldn't matter that you disagree with some of his issues he is still the President and should be addressed as such.

Referring to the President as "Mr." is one of the great triumphs of representative democracy in the world in my opinion. When Congress decided on it before George Washington was sworn in--over "His Elective Majesty," "His Serene Highness," or even "His Excellency"--it was an important break from the European courts of the day, and remains just as important today. It is part of what is great about America.

Our government and President are not above the people or our criticism. They work for us.

When we exercise our 1st Amendment rights to criticize the President, Bush or Obama, Republican or Democrat, we live the idea of "Mr. President." When McCain or Obama talks about his "boss, the American people," and every two years when we have yet another election marked by the peaceful handover of power, we illustrate the idea of "Mr. President." Every time a King or an Ayatollah or a Generalissimo or a Führer leads another country, it is heartening to know that we in the United States are led by an equal in whom We The People have simply entrusted great power for a limited time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Actually, Jeff, to be perfectly correct it is considered improper to address a retired person by their formal title if that title is a unique one. Such as, when refering to Reagan, it is proper to call him Governor Reagan but not President Reagan, because there are many Governors but only one president. Strictly proper use of the term president only applies to the current sitting president.

So refering to Bush without "president" is disrespectful, but not so much with past presidents.

Oh, btw, if it is an official title the first letter should be capitalized.

***EDIT***
Changed original post to address your comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yossarians wrote:
jjloc wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
Quote:

I feel for you dude.

Nice of you to volunteer to take care of Joe's needs.

Hey man you took that out of context, I was referring to the fact that his wife doesn't but mine..........oh never mind, here she comes I'm about to be slapped. OUCH!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:
jjloc wrote:
I have seen way to many times people refer to the President as Mr. or just by his last name. To me this is ridiculous the man is the leader of the free world. It shouldn't matter that you disagree with some of his issues he is still the President and should be addressed as such.

Referring to the President as "Mr." is one of the great triumphs of representative democracy in the world in my opinion. When Congress decided on it before George Washington was sworn in--over "His Elective Majesty," "His Serene Highness," or even "His Excellency"--it was an important break from the European courts of the day, and remains just as important today. It is part of what is great about America.

Our government and President are not above the people or our criticism. They work for us.

When we exercise our 1st Amendment rights to criticize the President, Bush or Obama, Republican or Democrat, we live the idea of "Mr. President." When McCain or Obama talks about his "boss, the American people," and every two years when we have yet another election marked by the peaceful handover of power, we illustrate the idea of "Mr. President." Every time a King or an Ayatollah or a Generalissimo or a Führer leads another country, it is heartening to know that we in the United States are led by an equal in whom We The People have simply entrusted great power for a limited time.

This is not to try to take away from someones first amendment rights, I am just basically talking about respect for the person in that position. Although in a FREE country we don't have to respect anyone we don't want to, which is another thing a person needs to think about with regards to the country they live in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the title of this thread and the bantering about wives leads to a question that has often puzzled me.

Why does saying that someone or something sucks means that someone or something is bad? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Why does saying that someone or something sucks means that someone or something is bad? surprise

Beats me.

Why do you park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
Why do you park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Driveway : a piece that crosses a WALKWAY to provide access to a residence.

Parkway : a road that connects parks rather than one road to another (roadway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Why does saying that someone or something sucks means that someone or something is bad?

Its a shortening of something sucking the life or the fun out of a situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
And the title of this thread and the bantering about wives leads to a question that has often puzzled me.

Well in my interpretation of something sucking, it is referred to as a sexual remark.

Meaning you are just shortening the sentence, for example:

"Liberals Suck D**k."

Now to some this is offensive in a bad way.

To the receiver it would be a good thing.
The giver is sometimes looked down upon.

How 'bout go ask some strange women and men,
"Do you suck d**k?" - and see what kind of response you get and come back and tell us.

Was the response bad - like a slap in the head by a woman or a wink and a nod from a gay gentleman (assuming YOU are not gay).

Or

Was the response good - like from a woman "sure I do, to my husband or boyfriend" or maybe just a "sure" then a wink in your direction or a wink and a nod from a gay gentleman (assuming you are gay).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
qzhdad wrote:
Why does saying that someone or something sucks means that someone or something is bad?

This is also correct, I like my interpretation better though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

And here I always thought it was short for "sucks big green donkey dicks."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
the man is the leader of the free world.

He's not my leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone can fit in a post about anti-atheism or anti-religion, we'll have the trifecta of RSP in one single thread as an unfortunate example to the rest of BGG.

And then my head'll hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And for the record, conservatives definitely suck. Just visit your local rest area.

Zing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

This is also correct, I like my interpretation better though.

Your interpretation is just the misuse of the term by sex-negative people. "Sucks" stands alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
And for the record, conservatives definitely suck. Just visit your local rest area.

Zing!

He'll be here all week, folks.

Try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waitresses.

*See what I did with the veal there? It appeared a harmless joke post, but then I pulled the old RSP animal rights thing into the mix. I'll let someone else work the whole God vs. Atheism thing to the table for bbenston.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.