Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the limited edition version for the first time last night and even after having read the rules at least two times, confusion reigned.

The way the rules are worded tended to be confusing and roundabout at times.

For example, why use 'dubious gentlemen' at all when instead you can just say

1) Flip over the top tile from the stack
or
2) Move the top tile on any graveyard to the centre of the table by paying its cost in a combination of cards and coins...etc

As it stands, the rules read like it will make sense to someone who knows the game intimately instead of people playing it for the first time.

I'd go for the ABC rule in this case:

Accuracy
Brevity
Clarity

The player aid is worded better and is quite helpful. The game itself isn't bad. It's just the rules that need some tweaking.

Jackson, would you consider a rules rewrite or for future games, getting someone who isn't familiar with the game to look over the rules.

To put my money where my mouth is, I'm happy to help reword or proof potential revisions to this ruleset or future ones if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
Move the top tile on any graveyard to the centre of the table by paying its cost in a combination of cards and coins...etc

Apologies for sounding dum, but when you say "any combination of cards and coins" do you have to use both or can you pay using one card OR the correct amount of money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any combination, all coins, or all cards.

Obviously, you will not get "change" from an item made available by a card valued at a higher number than what the item's value was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
We played the limited edition version for the first time last night and even after having read the rules at least two times, confusion reigned.

The way the rules are worded tended to be confusing and roundabout at times.

For example, why use 'dubious gentlemen' at all when instead you can just say

1) Flip over the top tile from the stack
or
2) Move the top tile on any graveyard to the centre of the table by paying its cost in a combination of cards and coins...etc

As it stands, the rules read like it will make sense to someone who knows the game intimately instead of people playing it for the first time.

I'd go for the ABC rule in this case:

Accuracy
Brevity
Clarity

The player aid is worded better and is quite helpful. The game itself isn't bad. It's just the rules that need some tweaking.

Jackson, would you consider a rules rewrite or for future games, getting someone who isn't familiar with the game to look over the rules.

To put my money where my mouth is, I'm happy to help reword or proof potential revisions to this ruleset or future ones if needed.

Hiya Shawn,

I'm sorry you find the rules unclear. When writing the rules (one of the hardest bits!) I did in fact get a bunch of people who had not played before to learn the game from the rulebook and then comment on the clarity and completeness of the rules.

In my next game: Carpe Astra there is less flavour text in the rules, so hopefully it's clearer.

Thanks also for your rules proof-reading offer.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teriyaki Donuts wrote:
Any combination, all coins, or all cards.

Obviously, you will not get "change" from an item made available by a card valued at a higher number than what the item's value was.

Jeff has it correct.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rutt
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did on see any on the geek, but has anyone created a short rules summary sheet for this game. I purchased this game off a review on Board Game Babylon podcast and I have never played it before. After reading over the rules, some items are not clear. I'd like to break it out this weekend but would love a "cheat sheet".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Chad,

Assuming you've got the second edition, the game includes five play guides (one for each player) which show the things you can do on you turn (turn over the top card of the deck or buy the top card from anyone's graveyard and then buy for full price, sell for half price rounded down or auction - starting with you, each player only gets one chance to bid), the play guide also includes a breakdown of what cards are available.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer rules with flavour test efficiently integrated rather than straight up mechanical explanation..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WRT 2nd ed English rules -- yea, very hard to be sure you are understanding them correctly. For instance, rules for Villager Uprising are in at least 3 different places.

Its not clear when you can spend a body part (from either your card or reserve) in lieu of money.

>I did in fact get a bunch of people who had not played before to learn the game from the rulebook and then comment on the clarity and completeness of the rules.
>

But that is useless, because they might be playing the rules completely wrong. Just because the THINK they understand it is not a test. You need to quiz them and see if they give the correct answers.

But a really interesting game.

Cost of using the graveyard seems too steep though. But making the graveyard a viable strategy seems desirable.

Thinking of making graveyard cards worth less as time goes by. You would make up a track showing -1,-2, etc and slide the cards down it.

To avoid putting markers on cards on your slab, you could require the player to "refurbish" them by paying full value to put on the slab. So you could buy a graveyard part, put it in your own "storage" until you have enough money to put it on your slab.

Something like that... I'll start a variant thread for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Dan,

The testing of the rules did involve watching people play from the rulebook alone and making sure they understood the rules correctly.

Interesting ideas on the graveyard purchasing.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.