Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules state on page 10 that: “A city can only be expanded once, which means that each city can only score victory points once during the game.”

On Page 6 it says: If all of your city base pieces are already on the board then you can voluntarily remove one city base piece…” and “The city expansion marker… remains in your possession”.

The implication of the page 6 rule is that when voluntarily “destroy” a city and rebuild it (in a different area, as required by the rules), you can later use the city expansion marker that “remained in your possession” to expand that city yet again in a future victory point phase.

Question: So, is it true that you may score victory points through city expansion more than 4 times during a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Baack
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats how I understood it as well. But its not easy to get to 4, let alone 5 expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kasper wrote:
Thats how I understood it as well. But its not easy to get to 4, let alone 5 expansions.

Yes - so the long-form answer to my question is: Yes, but it will probably never happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brass Jester
United Kingdom
Halesowen
Black Country
flag msg tools
badge
I smile as the puppets dance in the court of the Crimson King
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Kasper wrote:

Yes - so the long-form answer to my question is: Yes, but it will probably never happen.

Sorry, have to disagree. That's why you invade using the Minor Empires and use the whole strategy thing - do you go for land grab or the city, or a bit of both? You can get four cities on the first round. You won't be able to improve all of them and you'll probably have to fight to keep the sites on subsequent rounds, but you may then want your improved city(ies) to be razed so that you can rebuild and improve them later. It is possible to improve two cities on the first turn, score the points; make them a tempting target for razing, next turn reclaim the site, build and improve it again etc.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
And remember that a couple of the special city bonuses only trigger when the city is first built.

(However, that also means that they're not as tempting targets...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.