BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Boardgame recommendation (boored with Risk and Axis&Allies) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Boyer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have played Risk and Axis&Allies many many times. I am looking for a something new to play with my friends (Adult males 30+)

I did an advanced search on boardgamegeek for dice rolling war games for 3 or more players. Some of the ones I found were:

Twilight Imperium
War of the Ring
Memoir '44
Tide of Iron
Britannia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeeker
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is a 2 player game, not 3+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
some favs of mine:

Struggle of Empires - very good war/area control game. wars but lots of other stuff to keep it interesting.

Shogun - no dice but still a multi player war game

Galactic Emperor - a 'simpler' twilight imperium in many ways... i'm not 100% sure about it but you might like the idea...

and have you seen Dust, i've not played it but it sounds pretty cool to me (yeah i'm dumb, yeah, i dont care)

lastly: A Game of Thrones (First Edition), again no dice but you never know.

good luck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Memoir '44 and War of the Ring on that list. Be aware that they are both 2 player games if that is a problem. War of the Ring will probably remind you of Axis and Allies in terms of scale, but it's got more going on and a card-driven mechanic that if you enjoy means you probably would also like other card-driven wargames like Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage.

Memoir '44 is on a much smaller scale. You are fighting single battles rather than an entire war. That said I would think anyone who has enjoyed (but is tired of) Risk/Axis and Allies would like it, and there are many expansions and downloadable scenarios.

Another you might consider is Nexus Ops. It is out of print, but they printed a *lot* of them so I don't think it's too hard to find. I've heard it described as "Risk in a phone booth" and I think that's a pretty good description of it. Multiple unit and terrain types, secret victory conditions (via cards), and a playtime of less than an hour once you know what you are doing.

I will let others comment on Twilight Imperium, but just be aware that we're talking about a very long game here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone said Shogun which I have not played, but from what I have heard is only nominally a "war game". However made me think of Ikusa (which was originally released under the name Shogun), which I would think would be right up your alley if you can find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gator456 wrote:
I have played Risk and Axis&Allies too many times. I am looking for a something new to play with my friends (Adult males 30+)

I did an advanced search on boardgamegeek
Congratulations on searching for something outside of Risk and A&A!
That is a rare thing to see - I'm serious.
Many people never try other boardgames but those 2, for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring is a great game, but it is clearly two sided. More than two can play, but that divides the Free People or Shadow, and it doesn't look fun to me. But I've only looked at the rules for more players, never actually played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Nexus Ops and Imperial. Both feel like a step up from risk to me. Memoir '44 is also an amazing game for two (more if you have two sets!), ditto for BattleLore and Commands & Colors: Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talltim wrote:
War of the Ring is a great game, but it is clearly two sided. More than two can play, but that divides the Free People or Shadow, and it doesn't look fun to me. But I've only looked at the rules for more players, never actually played it.

Ditto here, but yeah, it seems like an attempt by the publisher to claim that you can play with more than 2 more than anything. Same for Memoir '44 (which I seem to remember has something about one player selecting a card and others controlling the soldiers in a certain section - just seems unnecessary; the game doesn't have that much to keep track of).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a really big fan of Viktory II. It fits your criteria and offers more meat without being too heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium is great but it's a long time commitment. You need at least 3 to play and you need space to spread out (a lot). If you can leave it set up, all the better. Some people say you need the expansion, others don't but I find some of the other races, optional rules, and racial techs fun.

Britannia is for 4 players. It can be played with 2 or 3, but the way you do that looks a little cumbersome with the dividing up of the colors, etc. It's a fun game, but can be a bit fiddly with the historical tweeks as new nations come and go.

Tide of Iron is a blast to play but is generally a 2 player game. You can play 3 or 4 but it's really built for 2. I like the scenarios in Fox better than the ones in the base set. They are coming out with a scenario book and Normandy expansion very soon, so that might open things up for more people.

I have all 3 of these games and enjoy them all when I get the chance to play them.

Since you can get a group together for Risk or A&A, of the games on your list, I'd pick up TI3. It's SciFi, political, military, and a lot more.

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can hold out till February, then Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game is fantastic. I was demoing it for two whole days at Spiel in Essen, and am dying for my copy to arrive. I will be teaching the game to my Risk-loving buddies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
gator456 wrote:
I have played Risk and Axis&Allies too many times. I am looking for a something new to play with my friends (Adult males 30+)

I did an advanced search on boardgamegeek for dice rolling war games for 3 or more players. Some of the ones I found were:

Twilight Imperium
War of the Ring
Memoir '44
Tide of Iron
Britannia

I don't know most of those, but MEMOIR '44 is an interesting, modular game with pieces and different terrain tiles that can be used to create many different scenarios, takes perhaps 30 minutes to an hour-ish to play, and is a lot of fun but not super complex.

I'd 2nd DUST, NEXUS OPS, and SAMURAI SWORDS - all are excellent wargames very different from vanilla RISK & A&A but close enough to it that you should feel comfortable with but not overwhelmed.

However, IMPERIAL, SHOGUN and STRUGGLE OF EMPIRES, as well as STRUGGLE'S flashier 'brother', Conquest of the Empire, are pretty deep stuff - they're excellent, great games well worth the effort, but they are quite a bit more complex than the others and the 1st 2 don't involve dice. Again, I'm not saying they aren't good choices, just know what you're getting into and be prepared - all of them demand you pay close attention to your economy and and growth as a power as well as military savvy.

I think you should also look at

Blood Feud in New York, an awesome game similar to A&A but set around modern-day gangsters warring for control of the 5 boroughs.

Age of Gods - this is probably the most unique wargame I've seen in 30 years of wargaming - very cool.

cferejohn wrote:

Ditto here, but yeah, it seems like an attempt by the publisher to claim that you can play with more than 2 more than anything. Same for Memoir '44 (which I seem to remember has something about one player selecting a card and others controlling the soldiers in a certain section - just seems unnecessary; the game doesn't have that much to keep track of).

To be fair, OVERLORD, the MEMOIR muliplayer variant, does at least double the board size and average scenario unit count, so each player controlling the various 'flanks' does have a reasonable amount to deal with except the 'General', the player in control of the Command cards and how/when they're played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Boyer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So is Twilight Imperium a longer play than A&A or Risk?

Thanks for pointing out that the games I listed are mostly for 2 players (I put 3 or more players in my search criteria but did not look to see what the game said)

Several of these look very interesting. Thanks for the quick feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D E
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium is quite long, at about an hour a player, at least. It works with 3 players but I would recommend 4-6. Also mentioned above is Samurai Swords (Shogun), which is essentially "Risk+", basically Risk in Japan with different unit types and some extra mechanics. Generally shorter than TI but I think TI is a much better and more complex game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
I want to second Struggle of Empires.
I want to warn against Imperial.

I really like both of these, but if you play Imperial like a wargame, you'll probably have a miserable time of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gator456 wrote:
So is Twilight Imperium a longer play than A&A or Risk?

Thanks for pointing out that the games I listed are mostly for 2 players (I put 3 or more players in my search criteria but did not look to see what the game said)

Several of these look very interesting. Thanks for the quick feedback.

My games of Risk and A&A lasted hours when we played. TI3 will definitely take hours to play also. I would say that as you get more familiar with the game, things will go faster just like any game. Don't add in any optional rules and maybe play to a fewer number of victory points. Treat the first few games as teaching games and duke it out to learn the rules. Finally, if you can set it up and leave it, don't worry about the time it would take. When I need to, I set games up in the basement and we all resume play the next game day.

TI3 is a bit heavier than what you are currently playing but really, it is a great game and worth the time and money invested into playing it.

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
knifie_sp00nie wrote:
I'm a really big fan of Viktory II. It fits your criteria and offers more meat without being too heavy.

Booyah! Viktory II is the one you want! It ties types of units to terrain and the board is different every time. It's dice based with some nice features (such as the die roll number that hits determining who picks the hit unit). It is a fast game that encourages attacking and discourages turtling. It's got a combined arms effect that gives more dice for more types of units. And it's got ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
cferejohn wrote:
I will let others comment on Twilight Imperium, but just be aware that we're talking about a very long game here.

But he plays Axis & Allies, so it's probably ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Nobody yet has mentioned Mare Nostrum. It has dice combat, but randomness is more minimized. Instead of a required number to hit on each die, you total the dice and divide by a number to determine the number of hits. The result is, if you roll two dice, your chances of getting one hit are increased, and your chances of getting no hits or two hits are decreased.

Look into it. I'm not saying you'll like it. War is actually only one of many parts of the game. You might or might not find it frustrating that you can go several turns without having any battles.

Antike is a somewhat similar civilization game. However it has no dice or randomness. Combat is deterministic. Enemy units mutually annihilate. The larger force always wins, and its losses are predictable. Again this is one where fighting is occasional rather than continual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the choices you listed are fine games. I'd also add to the list Nexus Ops (if you can find it), Mare Nostrum, Antike and Imperial. The latter two don't really have combat in the same sense as Risk and A&A, but are excellent games.

My personal favorite is Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). It's an awesome game that has tons of good stuff in it. You likely won't get bored with it anytime soon, and if you do, there's Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire. It can be long, especially the first play, but I love it. It's one of those games that I have a blast playing, even if I come in dead last. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Twister? It also deals with territory control, just like Risk and A&A. No dice, but you can play it naked, so that's a pretty even trade-off.

People will think you're weird if you play it solo, however. Or naked solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
Skwib wrote:
How about Twister? It also deals with territory control, just like Risk and A&A. No dice, but you can play it naked, so that's a pretty even trade-off.

People will think you're weird if you play it solo, however. Or naked solo.

Hmm. I missed the part in your description where your gaming group is comprised entirely of men. Might not want to try this naked then. Unless everyone in the group is really comfortable with each other. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions so far.

If you're interested in something that's a combat-oriented, but also has a strong political element and is Roman Empire theme, may I suggest Conquest of the Empire? There are two completely separate ways to play. Original rules are for a straightforward, dice-rolling Roman Empire version of Axis & Allies. Plays great with 2 to 6 players and can take 2-3 hours. The other version lays best with 4 or more, but can be played with less. Takes a good 4 hours, though, but is a lot of fun. This version incorporates politics, alliances, random event cards, etc.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
History of the World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.