Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Help please,

on a scare,

- I choose a room with at least one of my monsters in it and also children

- I calculate the scare level: the scare number of the selected ghoul +or - any adjustments made by the number of children, scare markers, and cards. - this is really only important in terms of free moves? Free moves are moves that are taken in order to set up children around the house after their scare moves?

- I then calculate the initial terror level: a 1 unless i am making my initial scare with the Death Spectre.

- I then move the children from one room to the next until they are in a room clear of monsters, or moved outside.

- For every room the children are forced to go through with a monster the terror level raises 1 or more. If the monster is of another player's color the terror level goes up an additional 1 (however this bonus is only for the first encounter with a new color).

- If the terror level doesn't reach 5 and the children find a safe room it is then that they move with their free movement points calculated by the initial scare.

- if the terror level reaches 5, then all children running are captured.

Also: Can cards be played at any point? with exception of block cards?

also: A scare must be initiated? A scare never occurs when a monster moves into a room with children during the second movement?

I played a test trial and it seemed interesting, but with a steeper learning curve than expected. I like the possibility for big plays in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Dimock
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will,
I hope this helps – and never fear, the scare/terror thing is the hardest part and will probably seem pretty natural by the end of game 2. After a few more games it will seem very natural to you.

on a scare,

- I choose a room with at least one of my monsters in it and also children

**Yes this is correct**

- I calculate the scare level: the scare number of the selected ghoul +or - any adjustments made by the number of children, scare markers, and cards. - this is really only important in terms of free moves? Free moves are moves that are taken in order to set up children around the house after their scare moves?

**Scare gives you free moves that are used to move children out of monsterless rooms during the scare. This is very useful for forcing them to meet more monsters so that you can reach a terror level of 5. It can also be useful to set up children for later turns in some cases**

- I then calculate the initial terror level: a 1 unless i am making my initial scare with the Death Spectre.
**Correct again – one per monster, one per new color (not your own) and one for the first Specter of Death the children meet during a scare**

- I then move the children from one room to the next until they are in a room clear of monsters, or moved outside.
**and if they are in a room with no monsters, you use the free moves generated by the scare total**

- For every room the children are forced to go through with a monster the terror level raises 1 or more. If the monster is of another player's color the terror level goes up an additional 1 (however this bonus is only for the first encounter with a new color).
**Correct**

- If the terror level doesn't reach 5 and the children find a safe room it is then that they move with their free movement points calculated by the initial scare.
**and hopefully can be moved into more monsters to finish them off**

- if the terror level reaches 5, then all children running are captured.
**Correct**

Also: Can cards be played at any point? with exception of block cards?
**Red cards at any time and in any number during your turn, Yellow cards only as the last thing done in your turn, but again in any number (you cannot play a red card after a yellow one, by the way), Purple cards only during another player’s turn when they use your monster that is named on the card or any of your monsters in the room named on the card**

also: A scare must be initiated? A scare never occurs when a monster moves into a room with children during the second movement?
**Correct – you can only scare in the scare phase, moving a monster into a room as your free move after the scare phase is useful for setting up a scare for next turn**

I played a test trial and it seemed interesting, but with a steeper learning curve than expected. I like the possibility for big plays in this.
**Yes, everyone (even very experienced gamers) tends to find it tricky at first. I think that this is not because it is hard, but just that it is quite different then other games. It requires gamers to develop a little bit of a new gaming skill set. Don’t worry though, it sounds to me like you already have it and just need to play another game or so for it to really click. I think you will really appreciate the amount of re-playability that the game offers.**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I need Clarification of the clarification
Humbaba wrote:

**Correct again – one per monster, one per new color (not your own) and one for the first Specter of Death the children meet during a scare**

**Correct**

If there is more than one monster in a room does the terror level go up 1 per monster in the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Dimock
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A good question!

The answer is "no" - when there are multiple monsters in a room the active player must choose which one monster is affecting the children. It they chose a Goblin that hides, they are free to choose another monster if one is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
frogmind wrote:

I was under the impression that children do not have their terror increased every time they move into a room with a monster, but only if

a) the monster type is one that has not already been encountered yet (like if a child was scared by a Death and a Cat they will not gain any terror for running into either of this type of monster again but will gain terror if they run into one of the other 4 types of monster).

or/and

b) the monster is of a different colour to the one that started the scare and one that hasn't already been encountered (ie- the child was scared by a green monster and has already run into a red monster- they will not experience any more terror from these colours but will from any other).

I know you said this in a different point Colin, but you said that the above statement is correct too! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Dimock
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the color goes - that is correct - you only get the +1 terror for meting a new color, so one you get a terror for meeting a color that is not your own, you do not get another terror for meeting that color again.

As for type of monster - this is not the case. You do get a +1 teror for each monster whether or not you have met this type before (i.e. you can use 2 bats in different rooms and each will give +1 terror). Your confusion on this is due to an error on the cheet sheet which does say "type".

Thanks for asking,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
New Questions:

Locks: The number of locked doors is not restricted, correct? Pull out more counters if need be?

Cornering: Will the teens ever backtrack? eg. They run through 3 rooms and get cornered with no safe place to go. (Like a bathroom.) I do realize that scaring them in a small locked room is only good for a card. Same deal not giving them room to run?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Dimock
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way to get the kids to run back into a room that they have been in during a scare is to use the special card that lets them move against normal restrictions ("Quick In Here" as I recall).

Locks are limited by peice count and will frequently all be on the board late in a game. This is when your Poltergeist comes in really handy as you can use their special ability to remove a lock where they are so that you have a lock that you can use as your 1 lock/unlock per round elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Humbaba wrote:
Your confusion on this is due to an error on the cheet sheet which does say "type"

Whoops! Thats a pretty major slip! That could totally affect the way the game plays! Actually this would make the game far too easy wouldn't it?! In a 6 player game you could get kids VERY easily- the game would be over in 10 minutes! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Dimock
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I don't think it should cause you too much of a problem. With 6 people there is a lot of chaos that makes it hard to set up moves in advance and with all of the take that possibilities, it can be tricky to get good scores in if people play somewhat defensively. It depends a bit on the experience levels of the players.

Give it a try and tell me what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Played a 4 player game last night, and I agree that it's much harder trying to get any kids at all using the rules as printed on the cheat sheets. Will have to try the every monster adds +1 Terror next time. Cheers Colin. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clearing of this. I think the rulebook could have ben done better. "Free moves" compared to "automatic moves" was very ambiguous. Your clarification that the scare-generated moves was only extras to have the children move out of monsterless rooms was an eye-opener.

Just to be extra-sure...

Once the children have moved out of the monster room after a scare (and reached a safe room), say they have 2 scares, i.e. 2 free moves. If they are forced to move into another room with a monster, a move out of that room isn't consuming any free moves, right? The free moves are only consumed when they move out of an empty room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right. A 'Free move' Is used to move them out of a monster-free room. If you can move them from one 'scare string' to another, then you can move them along the monster-train until it ends, then use more free moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.