Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.dungeontwister-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=611&s...

Quote:
First of all, there is a process taking place right now about the editorial future of Dungeon Twister. I'm not allowed to give much information, but there will probably be huge changes.

So, the big idea behind this new basic set is to start all over again. I can understand this can be a bit frustrating for the players who have invested in the game up to now, but that's not such a bad news. Here is why:

In order to please all the players out there, a lot of new material will be included in this basic box v2. As of now, we are talking about miniatures (probably not painted since it would cost too much, but in 2 colors), 5 out of the 8 characters will be newcomers (I understand Chris wants to keep a few characters from the old basic set in order to "link" the boardgame to the upcoming video game), as some of the objects, rules and material to play in solitaire mode will be included, rooms will also be differents (but will contain only basic elements: walls, portcullies and traps), new cards in a bigger size (Magic standard, so they can easily be protected)... Everything will be compatible to the current DT material.

All in all, this new box will be a good compromise for new beginners and old players alike.

Okay...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who understands German or French, the complete thread about the topic starts here: http://www.dungeontwister-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=611&s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who don't, is there any more information in those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is ... unexpected.

Does this mean a complete re-boot of the game? If so, are there any plans to release the current French-only expansions in English (Blood & Fire, Forest Creatures, Ice Age), or will all attention be focused on the new version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemlockaaa wrote:
This is ... unexpected.

Does this mean a complete re-boot of the game? If so, are there any plans to release the current French-only expansions in English (Blood & Fire, Forest Creatures, Ice Age), or will all attention be focused on the new version?

Blood and Fire is out already in English, so no worries there. Forest Creatures is the one I was really looking forward to, so this is rather ominous sounding to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having 3 base sets already (two different color sets of the original plus the Collector's Box) I refuse to buy another one - unless it includes fully painted miniatures.

Guess it is time for me to leave this train...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is like the Premier League changing their shirts each season to max out on replica kit sales.

Don't slam that door Mik, I'm getting off with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S G
United States
Williston
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I've just ordered the base set (which hasn't arrived yet)....this sounds like a good thing but you can bet I won't be buying any expansions....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
For those of us who don't, is there any more information in those?

Ok, let's see what my babelfish and I can do:

The important thing is the first message, which quotes a post from Chris Boelinger from http://www.dungeontwister.com/fr/forum/forum_post_liste.php?...

What will be in the new game:
- 8 new rooms (only with basic tiles like the old base set)
- 5 new characters (twice)
- 3 old characters from the old base set (twice)
- solo rules with special cards
- rules book (the basic rules won't change much)
- 6 items (some old, some new) (twice)
- 16 unpainted miniatures (painted seems unlikely because the price increase)
- a good box inlay for storing the miniatures safely, with enough place for miniatures from the upcoming expansions (and the other materials of course)
- no cardbord figures (already to much material in the box, cheaper)

If sales are good such a (expansion?) box will be released every 2 years for example, with mostly new material.

At tournaments the official way to play the game is with miniatures, but old players can use their cardboard figures.

If the sales of the new base game are good there will not only be expansions (don't know if he means the boxes which will be released every two years), but also blister expansions containing a room pair, a miniature pair and two item pairs in the two colours (mostly new material).

Continuing to read the french thread: It isn't decided yet how the new expansions will look like: 100% new material, or 80% new material, or re-releasing the old expansions with miniatures, or perhaps they will sell miniature packs for the old expansions.

I don't guarantee for anything I wrote above, if something is wrong please blame my babelfish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood & Fire isn't yet in English. I thought they were planning to do the Ultimate 3/4 player expansion with all red/green characters from Paladins & Dragons, Fire & Water, Darkness & Mercenaries sets.

Anyone know whether this is still planned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemlockaaa wrote:
Blood & Fire isn't yet in English. I thought they were planning to do the Ultimate 3/4 player expansion with all red/green characters from Paladins & Dragons, Fire & Water, Darkness & Mercenaries sets.

Anyone know whether this is still planned?

Last heard (working the booth at GenCon), Ultimate 3/4 is still in the works.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric,

From what you've heard, will Ultimate 3/4 contain any new Room Tiles (maybe same as those found in Blood & Fire), or will it only have new character / object sheets?

Also - what's your opinion on this "re-boot"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemlockaaa wrote:
Thanks Eric,

From what you've heard, will Ultimate 3/4 contain any new Room Tiles (maybe same as those found in Blood & Fire), or will it only have new character / object sheets?

Also - what's your opinion on this "re-boot"?

I haven't heard much on Ultimate 3/4 - I also haven't asked a lot of questions. I DO know that the single most-asked question we've received about the expansions for the last three GenCons was "Will this play with more than two?" It's one reason we're not getting "Fire and Blood" in its current form. The American audience seems to really really want multiplayer.

Now, as to the "re-boot" - anyone who has read anything I've had to say anywhere in the various Dungeon Twister forums will know that I'm biased, so keep that in mind:

Let me start by telling you that I don't know anymore about it than anyone else here. From what I'm seeing here, I don't think it'll be a complete reboot, however - More like a "Second Edition." I know it seems early for a 2E, but there have been issues with the English release of DT from Day One. Starting with the First Printing (in which the Printer used the wrong cardstock), followed by the Room Replacement Kits which many Distributors and Retailers didn't understand. I could go on, but most of you are well aware of the other issues DT has had, and there's really no need to re-hash.

Looking through the thread linked above, I see a couple of things:
1) The rules aren't changing. This means that the stuff we have now will work with future releases. And future releass will work with the stuff we have now.
2) Miniatures (something the American audience initially screamed for) included? Sounds good to me. I paid for the resin figs (I actually have everything through FoD in resin), and I hope that these use the same sculpts/sculptors.
3) Five new characters in the base set? Sounds like I have more options for play - both for Free Choice play and for Equal Forces play. Now, these may be expasion characters integated to the base set, but I suspect that they'd be new.
4) It looks like they hope to do multi-lingual simultaneous releases. I haven't seen this explicitly spelled out anywhere, but reading about the release schedules and so on hints at this to me.
5) It reads like the components might be better across the board. Or, at a minimum, consistent from set to set (and, just as importantly, nation-to-nation). I'm all in favor of better components.
6) Looks like I'll have to modify my reference sheet. Maybe I'll list new characters in the base set as being "2E"
7) I'll buy it. Not that this surprises anyone here.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments Eric - one last question.

Can we assume that Forest Creatures and Ice Age will not be translated into English, and that if we want them, we should get the French version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemlockaaa wrote:
Thanks for your comments Eric - one last question.

Can we assume that Forest Creatures and Ice Age will not be translated into English, and that if we want them, we should get the French version?

I honestly don't know. If I knew, I'd love to tell you.

I CAN tell you that I have the French and English releases for everything released so far (except Fire & Water, and I have a UPS tracking number for that one ... ). They're small enough that having two copies of each box isn't significantly hurting my storage space. I am, however considering going to Storables to find a way to make the game a bit more transportable (unless someone has some suggestions on that front ... )

I'm also perfectly willing to provide rules help with sets not released in English, yet - and I'm not alone in this.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Lopez
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just hoping the new figures have a similar style to the current ones since I just bought sets of all the figures they have to date. I would hate for them not to match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this 3/4 player ultimate comes out and soon, and it better contain the cardboard figures. My game group loves dungeon twister but it doesn't get played much anymore due to the lack of red/green figures. We have been waiting and waiting on this release. If it comes out in only resin figures that would royally stink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have the figures that are currently available?

If so, have you bought two sets (aka blue and yellow) or just one so you can play drafted teams? It makes sense to buy the two sets of each, but that's going to get expensive really quickly (especially with the Australian conversion rates at the moment)

With five new characters on the cards, I'm contemplating purchasing the minis now (especially if it's going to be up to 2 years between expansions with figures.

Thanks guys,
Ben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boromir_and_Kermit wrote:
Does anyone have the figures that are currently available?

If so, have you bought two sets (aka blue and yellow) or just one so you can play drafted teams? It makes sense to buy the two sets of each, but that's going to get expensive really quickly (especially with the Australian conversion rates at the moment)

With five new characters on the cards, I'm contemplating purchasing the minis now (especially if it's going to be up to 2 years between expansions with figures.

Thanks guys,
Ben.

Fenryll has produced minatures for the Base Set and Expansions #1-5 (including Red/Green for some of them). There is a separate "Zombie Pack" for Forces of Darkness, too.

And they've started releasing the rooms, as well. They're sold individually, and are pricy (and gorgeous). The dragons are especially beautiful.

Collecting just one color gets expensive.

I still need the minis for Fire and Water and Mercenaries, but I have four sets of the rest (Red and Green weren't out, so I'm re-painting one blue set and one yellow set to be Red and Green). I can't afford the rooms, yet.

Poke around the images for the games - there are pics of the minis in most of the expansions. Some are in "Game" and some are in "Creative."

They are resin, and not metal, so they're pretty lightweight and hold a lot of detail.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own:

German Dungeon Twister Collectors Edition with blue and yellow base set miniatures: paid 35 €

Paladins & Dragons, two sets: paid 26 € each

From ludikbazar.com:
Base set miniatures in red and green: 8 € each (still available!)
Forces of Darkness, blue and yellow: 12 € each
Zombies, blue and yellow: 5 € each (still available!)
Shipping to Germany: 13 €

From tellurian.de I will finally buy:
Fire & Water: 31,50 € each
Mercenaries: 31,50 € each

150 € paid until now, 126 € to go for a total of 276 €. A really good deal, but nonetheless quite expensive for some optional parts.

I won't buy the rooms, instead I will go this route: http://www.hirstarts.com/wizwar/dungeontwister.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bernd!

I saw the bases sets and zombies at ludikbazar.com and have put them in my cart waiting for payday, but I couldn't see the forces of darkness sets (they must have run out).

Also, where did you get the Paladins and Dragons ones at that price?

Cheers,
Ben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, ludikbazar run out of Darkness sets very quickly.

I got my Paladin sets from spiele-offensive.de, but now they only offer the blue set ("available in 7 to 14 days") and make holidays until January 7th. You'll get 2 € off with the coupon code Q42T4US3ND8 (accepted until January, 31th). Shipping to Australia is 35 € (31 € if your order is above 40 €).

If you want to order from Tellurian, you can just mail them at games (at) tellurian.de. Shipping to Australia is 38 € (less than 5 kilograms, one set is aroud 100 grams). They probably only accept payment via bank transfer.

The official DHL parcel price from Germany to Australia is 37 €, a small parcel (uninsured, up to 2 kilogram) would be 12.90 €.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John I
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per above the new base set will include "rules and material to play in solitaire mode". Does anybody know these rules? Any kinds of solitaire rules? I've been trying to find them without success...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis F.
France
Orléans
Centre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bveld wrote:
Does anybody know these rules? Any kinds of solitaire rules? I've been trying to find them without success...

These rules are in the head of Christophe Boelinger !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Guys,

Just to assure you all and erase any worries :
- There is no reboot
- There is a new future expansion simultaneaously in french / Enlish / german
- No rules changes (I hate that). The rules work perfectly, why should we change these. I'm not Games Workshop publishing a new version of my game every two year and changing a few rules each time.
- Just new rules for the new characters, of course
- This expansion is also a fully stand alone game
- Including minis
- Including a tutorial to easilly teach new players
- Including the solo version
- 100% fully compatible with everything already printed in the past
- Including 85% of new material never printed (this is specially for the old and original gamers)
- True : Only 3 major characters are taken from the original basic set, but 5 new characters, 8 new rooms, new objects, all equipment for solo version, etc...

So where's the reboot ????

The objective is to have the original hardcore players happy with a lot of new material and a full compatibility, and to give the possibility to newcomers to play with only this box, and also play single, and with minis.

And also the first scenario of the tutorial takes 5 minutes to explain, between 10-15 minutes to play. So it's perfect to teach a 6 years old kid, or wives (who don't like harcore games for example), or anybody who wanna learn or discover the game quick and fast. In gaming conventions, gaming club or anywhere !

So the rules won't change a bit, the way they are brought to the player will just differ a bit, and allow you to inntroduce anybody, up to your gran'ma, to your hobby...

That's what should come in 2009.

I surely hope I erased all your fears.

Happy Twist

Ludically,

Chris Boelinger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.