Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is from Japan and really got into this year's presidential election. I had a good time with it too as I had to relearn how some of the processes of the political machine work.

Twilight Struggle looks tempting too but the theme would not interest the wife.

My wife is a light gamer Ticket to Ride type games so would this fit in that realm or is it a lot heavier in rules and game play?

Also I don't mind the Kennedy vs. Nixon theme but are there plans to release other presidential elections?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the above comment. The whole system just makes perfect sense and the game flows easily. There is a lot more going on than in Ticket To Ride but after one turn or two, an interested non-gamer will have the hang of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the insight...

Maybe I'll get this for her for Christmas.

It would be better than a bowling ball, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent game and even more fun if you are a person who loves politics. My usual 1960 buddies are hardcore political junkies and we can't get enough of the game even though the election is finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a similar situation to me a few months ago. Wife loves TTR, really into politics, etc. So I bought 1960 thinking it would be a good game for us and... have not yet gotten her to play it (after about 6 months). I've played it with a couple of other people.

What scares her off is the length - I've played 4 times and it clocks in at 2.5-3 hours a game (hardcore gamers can play it in under 2 hrs) - and the weight. Every one of the 90 or so cards in the game has about a paragraph or so of instruction which must be analyzed for strategy, and can be used one of three different ways. This is a much more complex game than TTR and a long one at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carey
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not a "light" game, but it's not difficult either. I think it would go much smoother if you learn the game first, even working through a few practice rounds, including the debate and election rounds. Then you can teach it to her clearly and avoid stretching out that first game by having to go back to the rulebook often. But it also depends on a person's willingness to sit through a long-ish game. If doing an activity for 2 - 3 hours isn't "boring", and you can introduce it smoothly, this game shouldn't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, a huge step up from TTR much longer and much deeper. Also, I like this game much better that Twilight Struggle. It seems that the extra areas of concern (the issues, media, endorsement, the debate) add a lot. Just played this one last night and loved it! I lost as Kennedy.

My wife loves TTR but she would hate this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.