Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Christmas gift for my brother rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Martin
msg tools
Sorry for all the details, I have a hard time making decisions!

Some of his favorite games:
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Settlers of Catan (but we play this one rarely since it's longer)

Ideally the game would accommodate at least 5 players (though 4 might work if we can team up), it would take 60 minutes or less, and it wouldn't be much more complex than the games I mentioned above.

Possibilities:

Ra - Meets all the criteria, but for some reason it doesn't look like a lot of fun. It doesn't look like there's any positioning of pieces on the board, which is an important aspect of the games above. Also, since it's an auction game, it seems like it might be hard to have more than one person on a team. We often play games as a family with up to 7 people, so we like being able to team up if necessary. The only auction game we've played is Masterpiece, and we don't really like it.

Stone Age, Samurai - These look fun, but they only accommodate 4 players.

Alhambra - This one has a lower rating, but it accommodates up to 6 players. However, it's only recommended for 2, 3, or 4 players...

Others based on suggestions - Through the Desert (it seems this is out of print?), Kingsburg, Thebes, San Juan...

Thanks! If you can help me rule any of these out or if you have any other suggestions I'd appreciate it! I know this isn't a life or death decision or anything, but I want to pick a good one ;)

EDIT: Removed Thurn and Taxis and added Power Grid.
EDIT2: Removed Power Grid, Princes of Florence, Taj Mahal, and Puerto Rico since they're all 90+ minutes and have weights over 3 (I see that the games we play are around 2). Added some based on suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You like medium-light shorter eurogames that support five players.
Here are my suggestions:

Vegas Showdown
Ra
Taj Mahal
Notre Dame
Medici
On the Underground
Through the Desert
For Sale

They all support at least 4, most of them support 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Martin
msg tools
jarredscott78 wrote:
Here are my suggestions:

Vegas Showdown
Ra
Taj Mahal
Notre Dame
Medici
On the Underground
Through the Desert
For Sale

Thanks, Through the Desert looks interesting. Plus now I know what "weight" means -- that should be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Strand
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
most of the games I can think of are a bit on the high side of your time limit requirement.

Puerto Rico is a good choice to go after Settlers, Carc, and TTR but runs around 90 minutes or so.

Kingsburg fits the style and complexity of your other games, but also will run around 90 minutes or so.

Blokus and Ingenious almost fit except they are for up to 4 players only.

Thebes is a popular suggestion for this category of games and is listed as 60 minutes, so that may be a great option. I have not played it so I can't give a personal recommendation, but it is generally regarded highly with exception of people who do not like luck in their games.

Bohnanza is probably the other best option because it accommodates your range of player #s(recommended 3-7) and isn't too long(45 min.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric M
Canada
Aurora
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Here are my suggestions:

Vegas Showdown
Ra
Taj Mahal
Notre Dame
Medici
On the Underground
Through the Desert
For Sale

Medici supports up to 6 players. It's a good game, and best with 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan sounds like it might work, lots of fun, a bit like Puerto Rico but quicker and uses cards. I have a few gamers that I play Puerto Rico with and we have started to play San Juan. It is quicker and not as involved to set up or clean up. We still play Puerto Rico but if time is an issue we play the card game.

Welcome to BGG

Pepper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus is a lot of fun and can be played in about 10-20 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Martin
msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm definitely not lacking in ideas, now I just need to narrow them down. We have Bohnanza and Blokus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also consider: The Downfall of Pompeii

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Let's see if we can't add a few more to your list:

Citadels is a common choice in this range (I personally don't like it, bit I'm in the minority)
Manila takes around 60 minutes and is relatively light.
Witch's Brew- plays up to 5 but not great for teaming up.
Oasis plays great with 5 and is light weight.
Hacienda would be a fine choice as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Martin
msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm gonna go with Through the Desert and For Sale. Thanks, Jarred!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.