Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cumulative IV Consume powers question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the manual, under the CARD POWERS section:
Quote:
All powers modify rules and are cumulative




Supposing I have Neo-Survivalistes and it has a blue good. I also have Monde Isole. Someone chooses the Consume IV phase. I consume a blue good.

That blue good cannot be applied to both the Neo-Survivalistes special power for consuming a blue good AND the Monde Isole for consuming any color good, correct?

Are there any consume powers that *are* cumulative?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tyler
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct that you cannot consume one good in multiple locations. As the saying goes, you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Consume powers are cumulative in that all of the powers in your tableau are activated, in the order of your choice, on each consume phase. Each good, however, can only be consumed once.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be like spending the $5 to buy a sandwich at one restuarant and the same $5 to also buy a burger at a cafe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
utahBGG wrote:
Are there any consume powers that *are* cumulative?

Essentially, no. As the game actually works, Explore, Develop, Settle, and Trade powers are cumulative, but Consume and Produce powers are not.
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
utahBGG wrote:
Are there any consume powers that *are* cumulative?

Essentially, no. As the game actually works, Explore, Develop, Settle, and Trade powers are cumulative, but Consume and Produce powers are not.
Yet another "real world" example.... you can get milk half at supermarkt A for $2 -or- get milk for $0.50 off when you also buy eggs at supermarket B. It woulnd't work out to get milk half off AND $0.50 after buying eggs at both/either Supermarket A and B. The Consumes are simply a venue or market for you to spend your goods.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real world examples solidify my stance that the line I quoted from the manual is misleading. It would seem to be less confusing to state it as Barticus88 did, saying that powers are cumulative for phases I, II, III, and $, but not IV or V.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
utahBGG wrote:
Are there any consume powers that *are* cumulative?


There are Consume powers that don't require you to discard a good to get them. For example, New Economy says draw a card on a Consume phase. Say there was another card with the same power. (I can't think of one.) If you had both you would draw two cards. I don't know if you want to call that cumulative. It's the same whether you consider the result to be drawing two cards or drawing one card followed by drawing another card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
utahBGG wrote:
Are there any consume powers that *are* cumulative?


There are Consume powers that don't require you to discard a good to get them. For example, New Economy says draw a card on a Consume phase. Say there was another card with the same power. (I can't think of one.) If you had both you would draw two cards. I don't know if you want to call that cumulative. It's the same whether you consider the result to be drawing two cards or drawing one card followed by drawing another card.
Not quite. The only other thing closest to it would be Gambling World. Name a cost, get the card if it matches that cost. You may get this card on top of the one from New Economy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
New Economy says draw a card on a Consume phase. Say there was another card with the same power. (I can't think of one.) If you had both you would draw two cards.


There is another card with the same power projected to be in the second expansion, and yes, its ability is cumulative with New Economy.

Another possible example you can think of as cumulative is combining something like New Vinland (discard one good for two cards) with Deficit Spending (discard two cards for one VP chip a piece). By combining the two powers you have a similar effect to discarding one good for 2VP (although two cards still have to go through your hand).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:


Another possible example you can think of as cumulative is combining something like New Vinland (discard one good for two cards) with Deficit Spending (discard two cards for one VP chip a piece). By combining the two powers you have a similar effect to discarding one good for 2VP (although two cards still have to go through your hand).


I still see that example as being sequential rather than cumulative.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cristofani
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
utahBGG wrote:
I still see that example as being sequential rather than cumulative.


"Draw one card before developing" and "pay one less card to develop" and "draw one card after developing" are also sequential. The point is that the separate powers coexist, so that you don't have to choose the best one and ignore all the others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.