Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schell
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This time, 3 or 4 of the other players had already learned the rules with me during a game last month. Everyone this time got the hang of it quickly. Strategic steals and table talk abounded as they were meant to.
The game bogged down a bit in the last few turns when two large straights and a four of a kind were on the 3 center slots. One of the large straights had 6 chips on it before someone collected it. Unfortunately, that player already had a comfortable lead.
When tough combos fill the board as they did here, the game ends more quickly and lopsidedly. The deck has two each of the 6 number combos and three each of all other combos. Perhaps the deck should have been designed with fewer of the tough combos and more of the easier ones to prevent a chip-draining, winner-take-all logjam.
I still think there's a little too much downtime in a six player game but only in comparision to other party games where you only have to wait one turn before you're up again. Compared to say, Scepter of Zavandor or Power Grid, YFFA has minimal turn angst.
This game is still way better than original Yahtzee so I'll bring it out a few more times. If only I could find a reliable way to keep the board's six "arms" flat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board does require you to really bend it backwards to get it to lay flat....

Glad to see this session went over better, and the players got into it with table talk, etc. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.