Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that eBay is getting worse in how it restricts listings... I wanted to say I accepted Paypal, credit cards (via PayPal), or moeny orders in an eBay listing, but they won't let me get to teh next page of listng until I take out the word PayPal... That's getting ridiculous; anyone know another suitable at least fairly high profile auction site I can list some games for sale (I already have most of them on here, and would be happy except I seem to be attracting one time BGG log-ins lately).

Cheers!
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I don't, eBay killed my account for some unfathomable reason. I argued, and eventually just made a new account that they nuked as well. Add all of the new fees and restrictions and I'm saying F 'em.

The only problem is I'm trying to track down some cards/games and evil-bay seems to be the only place to get them. So some sort of alternative needs to be created, eBay is getting out of hand and needs to be knocked down a few pegs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No kidding...

8.75% of item sale, then they pretty much lock you into Paypal which sucks away 4% of the total costs (shipping + selling cost); you aren't allowed to say anything about recouping fees either in your comments - VERBOTEN words.

And as I mentioned, as of late almost all my sales have been newbies here and folks who don't understand shipping. I have a huge preference to ship Priority w/deliver confirmation unless it is a large combined order, then I send it parcel post w/confirmation. I try to be cheap for folks, but I have a huge preference for the Postal System; to me their reliability blows away FedEx and UPS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmboos wrote:
It appears that eBay is getting worse in how it restricts listings... I wanted to say I accepted Paypal, credit cards (via PayPal), or moeny orders in an eBay listing, but they won't let me get to teh next page of listng until I take out the word PayPal...

I don't understand the problem you're describing. You're saying you can't use the word "PayPal" in the text of an item listing? It's been a few months since I sold anything on eBay, but that doesn't sound right to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom L
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
READ A BOOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought the "money order" would be the sticking point, since new EBay selling policies indicate you can only accept Paypal or payment via merchant account. Maybe the policies haven't come into effect yet. The fees are getting absolutely brutal, to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, after I wipe that sentence and then added it back and then attempted to repush the listing through the process, it seems to get through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking to buy something, I highly recommend limiting the distance to 25 miles from you zip code. A lot of times, you'll find what you're looking for, and you can just meet the person mid way.

I didn't realize the fees were getting that high. Maybe I need to look into an alternate bidding site (Google should make an alternative one. It'd be huge just for having their name on it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had an ok time with eCrater. Setting up a storefront with eCrater requires establishing a reputation, but between using it, Google Checkout and Google Adwords, the fees are very very low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a lot I need to sell on eBay this Christmas. Games, CDs, old electronics, etc. I'll just pay the new fees and deal with it. After that though, I never intend to sell on eBay again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
I've got a lot I need to sell on eBay this Christmas. Games, CDs, old electronics, etc. I'll just pay the new fees and deal with it. After that though, I never intend to sell on eBay again.

You could at least auction your games here. They'll go to BGG'ers, and you'll only have to pay 3% to Aldie, plus whatever PayPal fees you accrue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, but my Make an Offer lists just don't seem to get enough "attention". We seem to be a finicky bunch.

Actually, I also don't like eBay's "analysis" of what they think is high shipping prices. Everything about them now is turning me off. I think I am like Chris; I'll use them this time, but this will probably be my last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmboos wrote:
Agreed, but my Make an Offer lists just don't seem to get enough "attention". We seem to be a finicky bunch.

Actually, I also don't like eBay's "analysis" of what they think is high shipping prices. Everything about them now is turning me off. I think I am like Chris; I'll use them this time, but this will probably be my last.

One of the last times I got the "high shipping price" warning, the shipping price wasn't even high enough to cover the actual cost of postage!! (due largely to the size of the item and relatively low minimum bid).
I suspect they are trying to limit the ability to hide some of the sales price in the shipping amount. I usually try to cover paypal and ebay fees in the shipping as best I can, so I can keep the minimum bid (and thus the insertion fee) lower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Ebay is probably comparing items by category, so a boxed game shipping is high if you are comparing it again individual CCG shipping (which is almost always extortionate, considering it often just one card). I think the problem is that the comparison tool isn't very sophisticated. Ignore the warnings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joewyka wrote:
I think Ebay is probably comparing items by category, so a boxed game shipping is high if you are comparing it again individual CCG shipping (which is almost always extortionate, considering it often just one card). I think the problem is that the comparison tool isn't very sophisticated. Ignore the warnings.

Hmm, seems to me like Aldie has a profit-center opening if he upgrades the sales mechanism here. Honestly, I think just implementing a currency auction system along the same lines as the existing GG system would probably dramatically increase the volume of sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:

You could at least auction your games here. They'll go to BGG'ers, and you'll only have to pay 3% to Aldie, plus whatever PayPal fees you accrue.

BGG users don't tend to pay as much money for 10 copies of Guesstures as eBay users do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dspitzle wrote:
joewyka wrote:

Hmm, seems to me like Aldie has a profit-center opening if he upgrades the sales mechanism here. Honestly, I think just implementing a currency auction system along the same lines as the existing GG system would probably dramatically increase the volume of sales.

I would definitely agree with upgrading the marketplace...I find it difficult to use, give feedback, etc. Also, the 'make an offer' option is great but is a bit lacking as you sometimes what to 'make an offer' on multiple items together and there's not support for that (or I'm missing it). I'd rather get more than one item and combine shipping to get the best deal possible, and that in turn gives more sales to the seller.

I think it would be great if the focus was on trading/bartering rather than 'selling' per se as that's really what this community is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rocketkiwi wrote:
I would have thought the "money order" would be the sticking point, since new EBay selling policies indicate you can only accept Paypal or payment via merchant account. Maybe the policies haven't come into effect yet. The fees are getting absolutely brutal, to boot.

Yep, I don't recall the specifics but I think they were banning money orders or checks from being used in most (all?) cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.