United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I played GBoA for the first time today. My opponent was playing the Macedonians and would move a unit then Recover Cohesion hits per rule 10.14.

10.14 says 'A unit that has “Recovered” may not do anything else that Phase.' I interpreted that to mean that a Recovery is the only Order that may be given to a unit in that Phase. My opponent insisted that a unit could be ordered to move (taking Cohesion Hits) then Recover. Then, after the Recovery, do nothing else for the rest of the phase.

The use of "Recovered" indicates my opponent was correct (and that's what we played with).

Which is the correct interpretation?

Thanks,
Kris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played solo and thus haven't checked my play against others, but I'd absolutely agree with you. Recovery requires an order - a Recovery order specifically. You can't just tack a recovery onto the end of movement. That would make Recovery far too powerful and cohesion hits for movement mostly irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
I've only played solo and thus haven't checked my play against others, but I'd absolutely agree with you. Recovery requires an order - a Recovery order specifically. You can't just tack a recovery onto the end of movement. That would make Recovery far too powerful and cohesion hits for movement mostly irrelevant.

I think you misunderstood; the interpretation was that it would cost one order to move, then one additional order to recover up to 2 cohesion hits per the restrictions in 10.14:

"During an Orders Phase;
1. any unrouted unit
2. with cohesion hits
3. which is not in an enemy ZOC
4. nor adjacent to any enemy unit
5. nor within range and LOS of an enemy missile unit
A.that is not "Missile No"
6. and is in "Clear terrain"
may remove two cohesion hits by being given and Individual Order to do so. A unit may not remove more than two cohesion hits per Orders Phase, and neither Line nor Contingent Commands may be used to do this. A unit that has “Recovered” may not do anything else that Phase."

So, my interpretation was that any unit that met those 6 criteria were eligible to receive a recovery order as long as they didn't try to recover more than 2 cohesion hits in one phase, (nor received it via line command or contingent command) because then it says once a unit has recovered, it may do nothing else in the phase. Thanks again for the game too Kris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Todd got it right. If you're recovering cohesion, then your order is for the unit(s) in question to spend their time running around, reforming lines, etc. and aren't moving.

Plus, if you've moved, you've already violated the "may not do anything else that phase," right? They've already done something else. It's not "may not do anything for the remainder of that phase."

Think you played this one wrong, but it's been a long time since I've had this on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skars wrote:
I think you misunderstood; the interpretation was that it would cost one order to move, then one additional order to recover

Ah... that's OK, I think. Nowhere do the rules state that a unit can receive only one order per Orders Phase. They only state that a unit is limited to one move/missile per phase. So you could spend two orders and do a move/recover, provided the other recovery conditions are met.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posed this question on CSW starting here:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@260.kQDheM8Fy2K.68@.ee6b...

The official word (from Alan Ray, the developer) is that you may not use a Move order and then a Recover order in the same Orders Phase, or vice versa. An erratum is provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks for getting the rules clarification Todd. Try as I may, I just find csw to be completely unintuitive, I can't make heads or tails of threads there...so I'll take your word for it. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhp I figured it out...there are no "threads" really just a pile of posts. Thanks again. heh and we can from this day on call this the "Holy smokes those Macedonians are Fast Erratum" laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skars wrote:
...this the "Holy smokes those Macedonians are Fast Erratum" laugh

Good name.

Thanks for the help, Todd.

See you in a few Mondays for another game, Thom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.