Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing with the 7-row expansion recently. I had previously stuck to the Embassy Rush strategy and averaged about 45 points per game. With the 7-row expansion, I've switched to another strategy which so far seems to average about the same. My most recent game I won with 51 points.

Take wood as the starting resource and build the Sawmill in Spring if able. If unable, don't build in Spring and save it.

Summer, build the sawmill if you haven't already. Transmute your wood into two gold. If you've gotten very lucky you may be able to build the Quarry this season, but I wouldn't expect it.

Build the Quarry in Autumn. If able, build the Guard Tower, but don't sweat it because going into the first battle with 0 military gives you a pretty good chance at success anyway.

For the rest of the game, keep the following priorities:

Always transmute both wood and stone in Summer to give you 5 extra gold. Even if you have to put off building for a turn, this strategy hinges on you getting all those extra resources.

Build the Wizard's Guild row whenever possible and the Cathedral row otherwise. The Wizard's Guild row will be the more urgent one. If done correctly, and with decent luck, you should have both the Wizard's Guild and Cathedral finished by Summer of the fifth year at the latest. Do not build anything else; spend any remaining seasons hording as many resources as possible.

Before the last battle, hire soldiers until you have either a total military of 6 or 7, whichever gets you to an even number of remaining resources. You should get at least 2 extra points from the Cathedral.

This strategy gets you a lot of extra gold, so make good use of the alchemist, which is usually not taken by other players in my experience. You won't need very much wood, and you'll need a lot of stone, so focus on getting stone wherever possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a viable strategy, but quite risky because if you lose a single battle then you're in real trouble... did you tried it with the soldier-tokens or with the basic game rule for winter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldier tokens make battles much harder (with dice you have an average of +3.5 per battle, with tokens only +1,83). Using both tokens and the new rows, I tend to build all four +1 battle strength buildings (including improvised walls), adding the first three buildings of the sawmill line and as many cathedral line buildings as possible. I usually average at about 43 points.
I noticed that I nearly never build tier 4 buildings with the new soldier tokens - they are just too expensive. I don't think the mentioned strategy will work well with soldier tokens.
~20 games played with new rules, mostly against AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 rows? Quarry's? Soldier tokens?

Is there an expansion out I am missing? Where can I find this stuff?

-MMD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MainManDetroit wrote:
7 rows? Quarry's? Soldier tokens?

Is there an expansion out I am missing? Where can I find this stuff?

-MMD

The expansion will be released in Spring 2009, but in the meantime you can have a look to part of it thanks to the java free Kingsburg software (link is in the main Kingsburg page)

Have fun!

ps: of course every single "addendum" in the expansion changes the game in a way or another, so likely the Chatedral strategy is not that good with the soldier tokens, but may become viable again thanks to some of the Governor's powers, or with the help of an alternate building row...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I've been experimenting with several different rush strategies and still can't make the cathedral rush workout. I just recently found that rushing the Mint row (expansion preview) was amazing... after finishing out the mint row, it was piece of cake to race through and snag the Wizard's Guild. I ended this game with an all time high of 57 VPs (!!!). Goldsmith + Mint owns the embassy rush. Mind you, I was playing the "soldier token" variant (best variant IMHO), which can inflate the VPs by as much as 4 at the end with 2 AI (expert) opponents.

btw- I wanted to thank Andrea & Luca for allowing the creation of the Java edition... I was on the fence with this game until I came across the it. After 2 games, I was hooked and grabbed the physical game from my LGS. Can't wait to see the expansion hit the shelves- it's going to be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree, Mint Rush is fantastic! I have been going to Mint as fast as possible. You end up with 3VP and 3 Army every season. With so much gold left over getting up to Cathedral is pretty easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:

btw- I wanted to thank Andrea & Luca for allowing the creation of the Java edition... I was on the fence with this game until I came across the it. After 2 games, I was hooked and grabbed the physical game from my LGS. Can't wait to see the expansion hit the shelves- it's going to be awesome!

Allowing the java version was the easy part.

We (me and Luca) are thankful to Thomas that used his time and effort to create it, and to the players that are downloading it and telling around good things about the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
redOne El Big Daddy
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended this game with an all time high of 57 VPs (!!!). Goldsmith + Mint owns the embassy rush. Mind you, I was playing the "soldier token" variant (best variant IMHO), which can inflate the VPs by as much as 4 at the end with 2 AI (expert) opponents.

Last night had the Mint and Cathedral combo and finished with a whopping 60 points. All time high in my experience

Next time will try to combine the Wizard's Guild and the Merchant's Guild.
Will see what that will come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.