Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a weekly gaming group where coöperative games are very welcomed.
Seeing as to how high this game scores compared to the others. Is this one worth going for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me give you a resounding, wholehearted yes. By any and all means. If they like cooperative games, they will eat this up with a spoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Pandemic plays in 45 minutes pretty much every time, and is just as thrilling as any of these games in that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ditto what Jack said.

The most realistic element in this game is placing the shuffled Infection 'discard' pile on top of the Infection 'draw' pile, thereby giving the appearance of an intense and relentlessly re-occuring epedemic in previously infected cities. Very, very cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j s
United States
washington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your asking preachers if you should go to church here man.
Just saying.

For what it's worth I think Pandemic is the best of the lot, so go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just add to what the others have said... I also love LOTR and Shadows Over Camelot, but Pandemic is unique and very compelling and engaging in its own way. And it's definitely shorter than those other games, typically, at least, so you'll likely get more plays out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of the very few who wound up being disappointed with Pandemic.
So much so, that I just traded it away.
I don't think it's bad at all; I just would MUCH rather play the aforementioned coop games...by far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't listen to the heathen above. cool

Great game, and I don't think it overlaps at all with the others you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hoffman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Absolutely! It is by far my most played coop game, and I have most of them because I love that genre, as do my friends.

As others have mentioned, it fits perfectly in that short but still very strategic (with a little randomness) category. It's very unique compared to the other two.

In fact, LotR was the first one we played, and I now cannot play it anymore after having played Shadows and Pandemic so much. It's too long, too random, too mechanical, and I find it broken in that you can play so well and then get 3 bad tile draws in a row and die, or simply draw 6 event tiles in Mordor and not have a chance of winning even if you've played a perfect game. It was an early entry in the coop genre and much better games have come along.

Pandemic has none of those issues. Buy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Doctor
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Woohoo, an overtext!
badge
Woohoo, a second overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is better.

LotR sucks all on it's own, needs no help at all... I'd rate it with a 2(out of 10).

Shadows is great fun, but feels a bit too random and the traitor is either useless in some roles or too powerful in others. Rates about 7 for me.

Pandemic will have your group on the edge of it's seats every game, as you are racing to the end of the game, with just a ffew turns left and not being sure whether you will get that 4th cure in time. If we win at all, we usually win in the last few turns available... And then play another game

Also there's no traitor, so you are truly cooperating, in comparison to Shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost stories joined the ranks to. still deciding what to get next

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories just didn't do it for us. Very repetitive, every turn is "turn up a ghost, I'll attack this one, roll dice, say 'yay' or 'crap' if you killed it or not, rinse, repeat 50 times in a row.

Just didn't seem to be any future planning at all, any variance in turns. My skill was re-rolling dice, so I attempted to kill ghosts each turn. Deb's skill was using the tile as well as killing ghosts, so, surprise, she was attempting to kill each turn. All four of us every turn were attempting to kill. There were so many ghosts showing up and bringing friends that you just couldn't afford to do much else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.