Popular Tags: [View All]
Garry Jackson
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to adverse currency fluctuation wholesale price of games distributed in the UK has been increased by 33%-50%. Companies affected include fantasy Flight, Z-man, White Wolf, Steve Jackson, Rio Grande, Mayfair Games, and a few others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Which is pretty ridiculous given that the UK consumer was already being price gouged before the current economic conditions.

£45 for the likes of Agricola or Chinatown is already high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Riekkinen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
mbmb
well its not that ridiculous when you look the rate of $ to euro and £ to euro. Dollar is very strong compared to the 1.6 it was in may, and pound is very weak now so european games are more expensive than before because of that. 45 for agricola is actualy cheap, that 55e and in finland english agricola is 65e, even milanspiele has it for 57. Same thing with dominion, I could get it From uk shipped to finland almost same price I can buy it from here whitout Postage, so Uk definelty is cheap, its just that youre currency is very crap now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pavone
United Kingdom
Chippenham
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
garryj99 wrote:
Due to adverse currency fluctuation wholesale price of games distributed in the UK has been increased by 33%-50%. Companies affected include fantasy Flight, Z-man, White Wolf, Steve Jackson, Rio Grande, Mayfair Games, and a few others.

Hi Garry,

where'd you get this info from? This is going to seriously curtail my board game habit :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sampavone wrote:
garryj99 wrote:

Hi Garry,

where'd you get this info from? This is going to seriously curtail my board game habit :-(

Hello Sam,

See:

http://www.esdeviumgames.com/newreleasesheets/November11th20...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pavone
United Kingdom
Chippenham
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ah yes! I remember reading this but not fully absorbing the implications written in it. D'oh! I guess it's just a sign of the times - mind you, as Jon said above, it's not like we don't pay a premium anyway for games here in the UK anyway - Conflict of Heroes being the latest game (where RRP for it is now an eye watering £55)and adding 30 - 50% to a game price is a VERY large markup!

According to www.x-rates.com the Pound was worth about 1.95-2 USD for quite a while, starting November 2006 - Esdevium must have been raking it in during that period!

It will be interesting to see if products from the EU rise in price too, and if so by how much. Be also interesting to see what the impact on the Eurozone prices are - it might become (more) viable to buy from Europe in future.

Shame that prices only seem to go one way: When times are bad prices go up, when times are good... prices stay the same!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it is time to check out some of the german retailers and start bulk ordering games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Jackson
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esdevium (UK distributors) have just released their updated price list with over 1200 items increased in price. As an online shop owner, it meant that we sold some games at a loss over the weekend cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B
United Kingdom
cheshire
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Even when we had a decent exchange rate Brits still got shafted on price.
Now it's worse, with the pound taking a dive and FFG jacking their prices up in the middle of a recession i can see lots of independents going under.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangervacuum wrote:
Even when we had a decent exchange rate Brits still got shafted on price.
Now it's worse, with the pound taking a dive and FFG jacking their prices up in the middle of a recession i can see lots of independents going under.

I don't think it would make much of a difference even if the price hadn't risen; a lot of people/businesses are feeling the pinch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillian Joseph
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So instead of substituting the $ for a £ and knocking 5% off the price, they'll be changing the $ to a £ and adding %20. I wonder how much less Americans pay for things because we pay so much more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pavone
United Kingdom
Chippenham
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MattAndGill wrote:
I wonder how much less Americans pay for things because we pay so much more?

Just look at Tanga and you have the answer!

Also, anyone else want to bet that games originating from Europe also get a price hike? At least they can't use the excuse of fuel being mega-expensive any more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sampavone wrote:
Also, anyone else want to bet that games originating from Europe also get a price hike?

Probably. Considering the £ is also weakening against the € there is already a natural increase in the price of games of European origin; if it's costing more to get them from the European publishers/distributors then it's going to cost more again to get them from the British distributors/retailers.

Essen was quite costly too this year (for Brits); but with this news I can happily report it was cheaper for me in the long run (if you discount travel and accommodation costs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, this is bad news for consumers. The BBc are reporting that there's a forecast is for a pretty severe recession. I assume this can't be good for exchange rates, but my economics is not up to scratch - can anyone shed any light on this?

Is it best to do a big order from abroad now, before things get worse, or might the exchange rate improve in a few months?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No denying the fall in the value of the pound and I could stomach that if it weren't so one-way all the time.

When the pound rapidly rose in value from 1.3 to 2.0 I don't recall retailers\distributers dropping their prices. Oil is traded in dollars but did the pump price fall - not at all. It was the same with all the stuff I was buying at the time - boardgames, RC models, electronics.

Now the pounds value is falling the retailers\distributers want to increase prices.

The dollar has strengthened against the euro (by as much as 25%). This means that in the US you will see the prices of your favourite euro games drop - yeah right, perhaps when hell freezes over.

Cheers,

Nigel

What is actually more frustrating is that I'm prepared to pay the hike but can't because virtually every game I've tried to buy is out of stock with the suppliers. Either games are selling so well they can't keep up with demand or they are holding back delivering to the stores whilst they work out their new prices. Either way, currently looking like a cheap Christmas for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.