Popular Tags: [View All]
Celso Távora
Brazil
Cruzeiro Novo
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone.
This is my first post, so please be nice.

I've been teaching English for 17 years, and I love it.
I use games on a regular basis in class (all levels, all kinds of students) and I usually get great results. So, what I'm asking here is suggestions for games which can improve my students' vocabulary and speaking skills. Keep in mind that I've already tried Scrabble, Taboo, Guesstures and Pictionary.

Thanks in advance,
Celso Távora.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mb
I think Word Blur might be a good choice. it's a bit like pictionary with words. Players are divided into teams. One player on each team reads the word, then the clue-givers start arranging words to try to get the other members of their team to guess the word they're pointing at. A good vocabulary helps, but being able to envision the clues can also be useful.

To just encourage fluency, I think Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game might be a good choice. Players tell a story and play cards from their hands as elements of the story match their card. The goal is to make a coherent story and arrive at your happy ending. Other players can interrupt the story if they have a card referencing one of the elements you use or if the current storyteller gets stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celso Távora
Brazil
Cruzeiro Novo
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion Jensen
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to teach English to Russian children. I think what you want are not games with words, but games that teach basic phrases. For example, one of the phrases we would teach the kids were to express wants. I want, he wants, you want, etc. So we would color, but I would hold all the crayons. If they wanted one, they would have to ask. This taught them colors as well.

So you want a game that requires interaction in a certain way. Lost Cities is a great game, but my wife and I will sometimes play for 30 minutes without saying hardly anything. A game like Settlers of Catan, on the other hand, requires a lot of talking. "Who has sheep," " I need stone", etc.

Just a few 'talking games' off the top of my head.

Bang!
Pandemic
Shadows over Camelot
Pirates cove
Wits and Wagers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celso Távora
Brazil
Cruzeiro Novo
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game would be my first choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that so far no one has mentioned:

Apples to Apples Junior

or possibly even

Apples to Apples

(although the former removes some of the more unusual words

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried this thread already?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/150/forum/1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All great suggestions above! I'd also look at My Word!...

Can I also suggest checking out the Games for Educators website - they have a competition running at the moment, you might be interested!

I write for them as well as run the Teaching Strategies Podcast you can listen to over there - so of course I am biased But I still think that if you are a teacher, homeschooler or interested parent it is worth checking out (and of course I would love to see some of your stories in the forums over there too)!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Pauwels
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Taboo?
It will force players to use non-standard words to describe something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca G
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Come to the dark side - we have cookieees.
mbmbmbmbmb
custom golf clubs wrote:

Seconded. I also use Aye, Dark Overlord! The Red Box for teaching how to apply arguments. You will learn a lot of "useful" words not very often applied in everyday life (elves, trolls, swamps etc ) but it is a fun way to blame someone else or defend yourself without getting on a personal level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celso Távora
Brazil
Cruzeiro Novo
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Iced One wrote:
Have you tried this thread already?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/150/forum/1

Gonna take a good look at it. Even though I'm seeking more language-school activities, this thread must have something I can adapt.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celso Távora
Brazil
Cruzeiro Novo
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonBlue wrote:
What about Taboo?
It will force players to use non-standard words to describe something.

Taboo is a classic in the language school I teach. I want different things.
But thanks, we've had lots of laughs so far with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celso Távora
Brazil
Cruzeiro Novo
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cookieeemonster wrote:
custom golf clubs wrote:

Seconded. I also use Aye, Dark Overlord! The Red Box for teaching how to apply arguments. You will learn a lot of "useful" words not very often applied in everyday life (elves, trolls, swamps etc ) but it is a fun way to blame someone else or defend yourself without getting on a personal level.

Looks wonderful. Do they have it in English? My Italian too bad.

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen which has recently been reprinted (with a kids version) is a game which requires a fair bit of speech. It may be OK for the more advanced students.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca G
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Come to the dark side - we have cookieees.
mbmbmbmbmb
celsotavora wrote:
cookieeemonster wrote:
custom golf clubs wrote:

Looks wonderful. Do they have it in English? My Italian too bad.

Thanks a lot!

We have the German version which I use to teach conversational German, but I have the mayor terms translated so that I can use them in English trainings as well. I only do 1-1 trainings so far but I assume this could be good fun in a larger circle as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
When I worked with HS/College age Russian ESL students, one of the activities that went over well was using one of the How to Host a Murder sets. You can often find those used or cheap. It was a good activity for more advanced students and felt like a real reward for them as they played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.