Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to ensure getting something on your wishlist is by signing up for the BGG Secret Santa. Plus you get to make another geek's holiday a little extra special!

I have heard from several veteran geeks that Catan expansions aren't worth the trouble. They either do little except extend # of players and the game time (silly & unnecessary), or turn it into a completely different game. I'd rather play vanilla Settlers with 4P and get other games for playing more players, and different games for playing different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:

I have heard from several veteran geeks that Catan expansions aren't worth the trouble. They either do little except extend # of players and the game time (silly & unnecessary), or turn it into a completely different game. I'd rather play vanilla Settlers with 4P and get other games for playing more players, and different games for playing different games.

The only expansion I've played is Cities and Knights, and while it's a fine game in its own right, it does transform the game into an entirely different beast. Settlers is one of my favorites partly because it feels kind of laid back for me. I can relax and play a game with friends. Cities and Knights has many more things to worry about and try to keep up on. It's not a bad game, but it doesn't feel like Settlers so much to me. There are many games you can get out there for the same price as one of the Settlers expansions, and unless your game collection is huge or you are in love with Settlers, I think the money is best spent elsewhere.

Of the others you listed, I've only played Ticket to Ride and Power Grid. I like both games quite a lot. TtR is fun and easy to teach, it makes a nice, light change of pace game for our group. It also gave me a board game I felt I could sit down and teach my parents, which was nice. I hadn't played a board game with my parents in probably 20 years until we played TtR last week. It's very accessible.

As for Power Grid, I've only gotten 2 plays in, but I feel like Power Grid is a special game. I'm looking forward to playing it more once I get the rules down well enough to teach the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

The only expansion I've played is Cities and Knights, and while it's a fine game in its own right, it does transform the game into an entirely different beast. Settlers is one of my favorites partly because it feels kind of laid back for me. I can relax and play a game with friends. Cities and Knights has many more things to worry about and try to keep up on. It's not a bad game, but it doesn't feel like Settlers so much to me. There are many games you can get out there for the same price as one of the Settlers expansions, and unless your game collection is huge or you are in love with Settlers, I think the money is best spent elsewhere.

Of the others you listed, I've only played Ticket to Ride and Power Grid. I like both games quite a lot. TtR is fun and easy to teach, it makes a nice, light change of pace game for our group. It also gave me a board game I felt I could sit down and teach my parents, which was nice. I hadn't played a board game with my parents in probably 20 years until we played TtR last week. It's very accessible.

As for Power Grid, I've only gotten 2 plays in, but I feel like Power Grid is a special game. I'm looking forward to playing it more once I get the rules down well enough to teach the game.

One thing nice about the Catan: Traders & Barbarians expansion is that it's actually a collection of small expansions that you can pick and choose from as well as a couple of large and slightly more complex scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not really Ryan Leaf
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm going to disagree with the above posts, and highly recommend Cities and Knights(CaK). Sure, it transforms Settlers into something much different, but that's a major selling point for me. I got CaK when I was starting to get burned out on base Catan, and it hooked me for another 2 years (playing multiple times a week). The nice thing about CaK is that it opens up several new options and paths to victory, and the new cards add a whole new level of cut-throatednesss. I just like how CaK transformed Settlers (while staying true to the successful mechanics) and gave the players more options... this is a must have in my opinion.

Seafarers isn't bad, but it's not spectacular... it adds very little to the base game other than a bigger board, some boats (roads on water), islands, and a wild card hex (the gold mine). I'd recommend it, but it didn't capture my interest like CaK did.

As for your other games.... what are you looking for?
How many players?
How "heavy" of a game?
How long?

Here's a few games that I suggest:
Stone Age - worker placement
Galaxy Trucker - just plain fun
Pandemic - co-op
Ingenious - abstract

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
One way to ensure getting something on your wishlist is by signing up for the BGG Secret Santa. Plus you get to make another geek's holiday a little extra special!

Settlers being the first euro game I owned and have played thoroughly. I can confirm that the expansions are well worth owning (value might be a different matter). I cannot play Settlers without Cities and Knights and Seafarer expansion. Seafarer is about a must! it doesn't change the game much, but adding the random board makes the game much more dynamic, changing the economy and feel of games, keeping it fresh.

Once you played enough of the base game (with Seafarer) you can graduate to Cities and Knights, which gives the game more depth. I recommended Cities. I know there is some tension with Cities, I did read the boards before buying it. I bought Cities once me and my fellow players were already veterans of Catan, so Cities built on that very well.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

I'd consider Ticket to Ride: Märklin - it's generally agreed that it offers the most strategy.

Also, if you get CONQUEST, carefully consider the Assassin card - some keep it is as is, some modify it or take it out, but most people have some reaction to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.