Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Valor & Victory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does close assault vs only pinned units cause the attacker casualties? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider a stack of infantry close assaulting a woods hex that contains only pinned units. Rule 15.7 says that all pinned defenders are automatically eliminated; in the above scenario, nobody remains to defend against the assault, so the attackers successfully take the woods hex. Do they still incur the casualties that would normally be caused by entering woods (per rule 15.8), i.e. two Casualty Points? Or does the fact that no actual fighting took place mean that the attackers remain unscathed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Andrew,

No, pinned units do not cause casualties to the assaulting units. In the example you describe, the units would take the woods hex with no resistance or casualties.

As per the last sentence (and I'll change it to add emphasis on "before"):

Pinned units are automatically eliminated when close assaulted, and are immediately removed before the close assault is resolved against any unpinned units.

-Barry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
In the example you describe, the units would take the woods hex with no resistance or casualties.

In other words, the attacker doesn't take any terrain-related casualties as they would if the assault had been opposed, which answers my question.

While we're on this topic, what's the basis for the "terrain casualties" rule? It seems capable of creating some weird situations. For example, consider a stack of 3.5 squads attacking a lone leader in a building. Assuming the attack succeeds, the attackers will take Casualty Points as follows:

1 CP because there was one defending unit, plus
3 CP because the defender's hex provided +3 cover

... for a total of 4 CP, which seems like a lot. It will either cause all four attacking units to become pinned, or a squad to be reduced, or the half-squad to be eliminated, etc, which seems like a high body count for a platoon-strength attack on one guy in a building. Or have I misunderstood how the rule is applied?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The basis for the rule arose from my experience with previous games, where the assaulting units either eliminated the opponents completely or not at all, and then were also either completely eliminated or not at all. It just didn't feel right. Assaults are risky - very risky - for both sides. You're throwing yourself at the mercy of your enemy, often in the open, against an opponent who may be very well hidden or entrenched (as is the case in a building or bunker).

A good historical example would be the British assault on the Merville Battery - where over half the British Paras were killed or wounded, but after heavy hand to hand fighting eventually took the battery.

Your example is probably the most extreme situation. If you assault with the right squads, say a stack of 6-4-5 German PGs, you could apply the 4 CPs to one squad; 3 to reduce it to a half squad, then 1 more to pin the half squad. You've lost roughly 4 or 5 men (not necessarily KIA, but wounded as well), and the rest are seeking cover. Not entirely impossible for one determined man in a building - and especially since leaders are considered the "cream of the crop".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a minute - how did I get the Game Designer badge? I just noticed that... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By helpfully answering questions, I expect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.