Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Variation: Sequential actions by units, by APs remaining, and no Opps fire rules necessary.

Baffled? Well my chum and I came up with this, and found that in scenarios with fewer units, it better represents the passage of time during a turn, and the movement of all forces sequentially across the battlefield, rather than a series of actions by one unit that can lead to, for example, a T34 doing a massive spurt from one side of the Board to the other, with no-one wanting to Opp fire and flip. This variant simulates APs as time portions. So a unit that has used 5 APs to fire at the beginning of the turn, has to wait for other units on both sides, to get down to the same number of APs it has left (2) before it can take another action. To do nothing costs 1 AP.

We created a number of small tokens with numbers 1-6 them, to slip underneath individual units with the part of the token with the number on it protruding to show how many APs it has left. A “fresh unit” had no such token, because it has 7 APs (we used the basic AP rules for simplicity). A unit with no APs left is flipped as usual.

All CoH rules apply, except with the following variations:

1. The side who won the initiative roll performs ONE action with a unit which has 7APs, then the other side does the same. Alternate in this way. This is a sub-round. The new, reduced number of APs for each unit that undertakes an action is shown by placing the appropriate AP token underneath it. So a unit with full 7 APs that does a rally, has a token for 2APs placed under it. There is then a sub-round for all units with 6APs showing, then another for those with 5APs etc down to 1 AP. A unit that fired its gun for 5AP in the first round has to wait until the 2AP sub-round before it must take another action (exception: cards and CAPs- see below). When a unit has no APs left it is flipped as normal.

2. When alternating sides during a sub-round, if one side has no units that have higher APs than any of the remaining units on the other side, then the side with the units with the higher APs performs an action with all those remaining units with the higher AP showing. Then the next sub-round then begins. So in the 5 AP sub-round, you can never move to the 4AP sub-round while there are still 5AP tokens showing. All must be 4AP or lower before moving to that sub-round.

3. Either side can use cards or CAPs as usual, and in this way can perform actions with more than one unit before passing to the other side, and can also can make a unit take an action out of sequence (ie the unit that used 5APs in the example above, could use a card or CAPs to perform an action in the 6AP round, rather than wait till the 2AP round).

4. When both sides have flipped all their units (and has no CAPs or cards that they wish to use) the turn ends.

5. A unit that is eligible to take an action in the sub-round, must take an action (to represent the passage of time for that unit). To the available actions there is an “Idle” action which costs 1AP.

And that’s about it. Because you can only undertake one action, there is a much more realistic opportunity to “opportunity fire” except that you wait till the appropriate sub-round, and don’t have to flip your unit, but just reduce the number of APs accordingly.

Group commands just mean that you have to make sure the units you wish to group all have similar APs, so as to meet the requirements of Rules 1 and 2.

Hidden units don’t take actions or have APs while hidden. When revealed, to represent the passage of time in the turn, the unit will appear with APs the same as the unit with the highest AP of either side on the board. So if there is a unit with a 4AP, and units with 3 and lower on either sides, the hidden unit appears with 4APs.

That’s it in a nutshell. Try it. You get a slightly different flavour to the game, a more slowly evolving and smooth one, not so “jerky”, and doesn’t take much longer than a normal game. Arguably some sacrifice of excitement but for me, more satisfying.

If you’re going to criticise this (and I know some will) I challenge you to give it a try first!

The AP tokens I made from card the same size as the actual unit counters, but with a small “tab” protruding beyond the counter with the AP number on it, so as to be on show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Colin,
I had a similar idea but never followed through on it by making home made AP counters. In my version I pictured units using any APs desired for Opportunity fire and recaction moves and then marking the unit with the number of APs used. Then when the unit is activated it can use the number of APs it has remaining for its activation.

Great minds think alike! Now I will have to go home and try it.

Dean Halley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean

Thanks- Excellent! That could work as well.

The game system is so good, but I always strive further for that elusive excellence that makes it still simple, realistic, and fun. But I realise that too much tinkering could also bring the whole edifice crashing down. However, in my games, I rarely take the pain of flipping a unit for a one off shot of opportunity fire, whereas if some crazy mother russian unit is charging at you, you should get more than one shot as it comes, regardless of cards and CAPs, and in the meantime, other units away across the board, are not just sitting there watching and waiting, but doing their own thang!

Honestly it took me 30 minutes to do the tokens, and later we tried it with really small die and it still worked fine.

Each to his/her own, but my mate and I have had two blasts now doing it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan West
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Colin,

Have you been able to play any of the scenarios with larger forces using your method here? I really think your idea holds some promise. Of course I really like the game as is but I have that 'house rules' gene in me somewhere that loves to tinker with a game no matter how well it plays on its own!

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alan, and fellow tinkerer

I'm currently trying the Bug River scenario. However it gets a little bit tedious only moving (for example) foot unit one action/one hex at a time, when they're not in the line of sight of anyone, so we agreed that you could, if both players agreed, take one action, OR take actions up to the cost of 2 APs. So foot units could advance 2 hexes in the open. However the opposing player could still stop them after one hex/action and fire.

That seemed to speed the game up quite a bit.

See also the simpler variant posted... a compromise between the standard game and my variant... "Realistic Opportunity Fire Variant"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.