tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When was it changed to allow sellers to list multiple copies of the same game?

I don't like retail sellers selling games in the marketplace. I know it supports BGG and I'm all for that but I don't like having to wade thru the spam listings to find good deals from fellow geeks. Especially now that it appears they can list multiples. In the first example of this I've seen one is a pre-order and the other is the game in stock (for $10 more). Is this supposed to be allowed?

It's bad enough pre-orders are allowed. But for a seller to list a pre-order price next to an in stock price as 2 otherwise identical listings seems like it shouldn't be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    The thing that I recently saw that really disappointed me was an exceptionally low price on a game, to find out that it's only available at that price if you agree to pre-order a different game along with it. When I asked the vendor offering it they indicated that it was their strategy to combat the price floor on the second game. Given that you would need to order the games through their web page to get the listed price, it appears that BGG is left holding the bag.

This would appear to be the end of the Marketplace being a useful way to locate used games, and likely a dent in BGG's ability to raise funds in a mutually agreeable way.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

The thing that I recently saw that really disappointed me was an exceptionally low price on a game, to find out that it's only available at that price if you agree to pre-order another game along with it. When I asked the vendor offering it they indicated that it was their strategy to combat the price floor on the second game. Given that you would need to order the games through their web page to get the listed price, it appears that BGG is left holding the bag.

This would appear to be the end of the Marketplace being a useful way to locate used games, and likely a dent in BGG's ability to raise funds in a mutually agreeable way.

Sag.

I had not seen that but any listing that requires them to purchase from their website instead of from BGG seems like it would be a violation of the rules of the market place and the seller should be blocked from listing.

I have previously seen sellers selling combo deals here that had a very good price on a hot game require the purchase of another not so hot game but both games were only listed on bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I would imagine they could honor the BGG cut by requiring that the user purchase both through the marketplace and then they would reassemble the order on the far end? I was just disappointed to see a game I was interested in buying being leashed to a dog that I didn't want.

Everyone games the system. I think maturity and honesty on the Internet peaked around 1996.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty easy to spot CLS Games listings - they always end in .95, the condition is always listed as "new", and they will often list games (as preorders) before they are generally available. The worst thing that would happen is that you end up clicking on a couple more listings, so I don't really have a problem with it. If they're willing to give BGG 3%, what's the difference between a high volume seller and a private individual?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought this up a number of months ago when I went to the marketplace only to find a pre-order instead of the game (and on top of that it was from a "warehouse business", not a fellow geek).
I'm all for promoting a business, but not on the marketplace.
Design a retail window for the site, but keep the marketplace a way for me to find a game-in stock and not from a business, but from a fellow geek.
Other sites use the small window under the game on the individual page (such as funagain offering Tinner's Trail, or Toad and Troll having Tactics for sale). I am able to click on the box and go to the site and look at their game if I want. However, they do not list on the marketplace, so why do other businesses get to do such? I don't care for it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
It's pretty easy to spot CLS Games listings - they always end in .95, the condition is always listed as "new", and they will often list games (as preorders) before they are generally available. The worst thing that would happen is that you end up clicking on a couple more listings, so I don't really have a problem with it. If they're willing to give BGG 3%, what's the difference between a high volume seller and a private individual?
My personal dislike of sorting thru the listings of commercial sellers vs. private sellers or that pre-orders are allowed is not what this thread is about. It's about the posting of multiple copies of the same game by the same seller. Whether they are a retailer or not. I probably should not have muddied the discussion by expressing my opinions on retailers in the marketplace. The example of it I saw was from a retailer but my objection to it would be the same if it was not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

If someone has two copies why not list both? Or is your problem with the pre-orders?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eightbit wrote:
My personal dislike of sorting thru the listings of commercial sellers vs. private sellers or that pre-orders are allowed is not what this thread is about. It's about the posting of multiple copies of the same game by the same seller. Whether they are a retailer or not. I probably should not have muddied the discussion by expressing my opinions on retailers in the marketplace. The example of it I saw was from a retailer but my objection to it would be the same if it was not.

Either way I don't really have a problem with it. I saw an instance of what you refer to recently. There were two copies of Pandemic, one was in stock now, the other was a preorder for the eventual reprint. It makes total sense to me that one could charge a little extra for a game that is not otherwise easily available at the moment.

I've seen CLS/rsolow do what Sag referred to with their FRED stock, involving different price scales when buying game combos. Again, it's common enough that it's pretty easy to spot these listings and ignore them if you don't want to be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

If someone has two copies why not list both? Or is your problem with the pre-orders?

Sag.
Personally I don't like pre-order listings. When watching for sales on an OOP title its annoying to get a geek mail that is just a pre-order for a game that may not be available for months. That is a seperate issue to what I wanted to discuss in this thread. It's my fault for bringing that up.

The problem with someone, especially a retailer making multiple listings for the same game is the signal to noise ratio. If you have a couple sellers listing multiples of the same game with the same description you are rapidly go to make it that much more difficult to find other listings. So if you have 3 should all 3 be listed? If 2 is allowed why not 3? If you have 10 or 50 should they all be listed? I'm not a retailer but say I bought a case of Jericho off tanga could I post 20 identical listings to get list my extra copies?

I thought multiple listings weren't allowed but I think that was more a limitation of the system not allowing you to have multiple listings in your "collection". Now that multiples in your collection works it appears you can list multiples in the marketplace.

My question is, should that be allowed? I can see a use for it if say I'm selling a used copy, an unpunched open copy, and a shrink wrapped copy. 3 different conditions of the same game could be 3 legitimate listings by the same seller. What if I then posted 3 shrink wrapped copies for another game? Should that be allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
eightbit wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Sag.
Personally I don't like pre-order listings. When watching for sales on an OOP title its annoying to get a geek mail that is just a pre-order for a game that may not be available for months. That is a seperate issue to what I wanted to discuss in this thread. It's my fault for bringing that up.

The problem with someone, especially a retailer making multiple listings for the same game is the signal to noise ratio. If you have a couple sellers listing multiples of the same game with the same description you are rapidly go to make it that much more difficult to find other listings. So if you have 3 should all 3 be listed? If 2 is allowed why not 3? If you have 10 or 50 should they all be listed? I'm not a retailer but say I bought a case of Jericho off tanga could I post 20 identical listings to get list my extra copies?

I thought multiple listings weren't allowed but I think that was more a limitation of the system not allowing you to have multiple listings in your "collection". Now that multiples in your collection works it appears you can list multiples in the marketplace.

My question is, should that be allowed? I can see a use for it if say I'm selling a used copy, an unpunched open copy, and a shrink wrapped copy. 3 different conditions of the same game could be 3 legitimate listings by the same seller. What if I then posted 3 shrink wrapped copies for another game? Should that be allowed?

That's a good post.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.