Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
After playing Separatists Colony in our series of "grudge" matches vs my friend Eurogamer, I think a basic strategy comment needs to be mentioned.

Separatists Colony has a +2 look explore power that I am beginning to like more and more. It may be better than an extra military (that would be New Sparta), or consume any good for a VP and a card (EE).

Pulling an E+1/+1 is now much more effective; selecting two out of five is significantly better than two out of three. The research labs lets Separatists Colony explore to pick three out of five or two out of nine, with three out of five being a great choice.

Playing against Separatists Colony isn't as easy as you would think.

Although you may say "I'll explore because he is already exploring", the times SC isn't exploring he can pick one out of four and draft your explore quite effectively. Sadly, if Separatists Colony is not exploring in two player advanced, he is usually doing something quite good.

I think Separatists Colony in multiplayer may be able to pull the speculative trade/consume off more than any other homeworld. Opponents of Separatists Colony should be more biased against the temporizing explores and may have more incentive to pick settle.

Also playing against Separatists Colony in 2 PA, the double explore seems to be a better play. Picking two out of eight should cure you need to explore for a while and only give them one chance to leech or draft an explore. Funny, someone asked a question about drafting or leeching an explore in another thread. With SC this is now a reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find the most effective play against SC is to get a trade / produce cycle early. If he explores, you keep pace with drawing cards. If not, you leech. If he sets up his own consume / produce cycle, he is no longer exploring and you regain your advantage.

This works very well if you are Ancient Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree and explore bonuses will become increasingly beneficial as the deck size increases through expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.