Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well I have already made a poll about BGG users and their Go rank. Here's another one. Let's find out more about our fellow BGG users and their Go habits!

Poll
1. Is Go your all-time favorite game?
Yes, definitely
No, but it's in my top-ten
No, but I still enjoy it
No, not at all
2. On average, how often do you play Go (online, face-to-face, versus A.I. etc.)
Several times a day
Several times a week
Several times a month
Several times a year
Once a year (or less)
3. Are you a member of a Go club?
Yes
No, but I would like to be
No, I don't want to
4. Have you taken / Do you take Go lessons? (From someone who is good enough to charge you for it)
Yes
No, but I would like to
No, not interested
5. Do you read books about Go?
Yes, everyday
Yes, occasionally
No, but I would like to
No, not interested
6. In one year from now my Go rank will most likely...
have increased significantly
have increased slightly
be the same as it is today
have decreased
7. In your own opinion, what's your biggest weakness in Go?
Too greedy
Too afraid of stronger opponents
Too passive
Not good enough at judging life & death
Too agressive
Unfocused, hard to concentrate on the game
The entire game is too overwhelming!
8. In my opinion, the fastest way for a beginner to improve his Go skills is to (you may only pick one!)
Get a teacher
Read a few books about Go
Play a lot of games
9. What other abstract games would you recommend to your fellow Go players? (multiple answers possible)
Blokus
Checkers
Chess
The Project GIPF games
Hex
Hive
Ingenious
Khet
Othello
Quoridor
Shogi
XiangQi
None of the above
10. How precious is Go to you? If you had to choose between these two options:
I would never play any other game except for Go for the rest of my life
I would play every game in the world except for Go for the rest of my life
11. Just how hooked are you? Pick one of the following
A unique hand made floor Goban made from a 500 year old Kaya tree by a master artisan, together with genuine Clam & Shell stones of any size. Plus free real-life lessons in Asia for a year with Go Seigen & Cho Chihun.
A brand new Ferrari of your choice with free driving lessons given by Michael Schumacher at the Monza race track in Italy.
      127 answers
Poll created by taragalinas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been a member of a go club in the past, but am not currently a member of one.

I didn't think Go Seigen was alive any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
I didn't think Go Seigen was alive any more.

Well, that's not really a problem when it comes to Go. Check out that Animee thingy, Hakuri no Go or whatever it's called...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked the Go-ban etc over the Ferrari because I can'tdrive but I would also recommend the tafl games to Go players above any you mention because the logic is related MUCH more strongly to that of Go than in any of the games listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I can drive, but cars are an ecological and lifestyle disaster in my opinion, and I would not want the Ferrari. Expensive cars are particularly wasteful... I'm usually happy avoiding cars. A year of go lessons from some go masters would be far more appealing to me.

The "weakness" question left out many possibilities. I would have answered "the opening" or "lack of joseki knowledge". Other common complaints I've seen are "mid-game fighting" and "endgame calculation".

There are indeed other go-like games I'd recommend to Go players as well. E.g. Through the Desert and Cathedral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
The "weakness" question left out many possibilities. I would have answered "the opening" or "lack of joseki knowledge". Other common complaints I've seen are "mid-game fighting" and "endgame calculation".

I agree. More weakness options would have been nice. Mea culpa. Note to self: Do not make polls with one hand and put children to bed with the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Engels
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it interesting that the majority of participants suggest playing a lot of games to get better. I voted for the book. Attack & Defense alone added at least 4 stones for me. But I recognize that everyone is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd not get much extra enjoyment of the Ferrari over my current car, especially being stuck in the boring roads of Missouri. Lessons from MS would be nice, but a Goban trumps it. It's a work of art that can be enjoyed for generations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Severian596 wrote:
I find it interesting that the majority of participants suggest playing a lot of games to get better. I voted for the book. Attack & Defense alone added at least 4 stones for me. But I recognize that everyone is different.

There's some books that are great. I've gained a lot of strength from them. But without serious practice it's hard to put it all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
russ wrote:

I agree. More weakness options would have been nice. Mea culpa. Note to self: Do not make polls with one hand and put children to bed with the other.

Perhaps it would be wise not to put children to bed with one hand anyway, no matter what you are doing with the other hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent questions! I was surprised to see how closely my answers align with the majority of BGG'ers, but upon further reflection maybe it shouldn't be so shocking. I think most of us here (like me) enjoy a variety of gaming experiences and thus don't get far enough into Go to be "serious" players because doing so requires all of one's energy. I only get the itch to play a real game a few times per year, but occasionally work some problems out of a book or online. I also like my games with a bit more theme and randomness and thus am not a big abstract fan. But out of the abstracts, Go is unquestionably the king. Or emperor, perhaps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked the car since I could sell it for a lot more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Mine would be "endgame", I guess. Though mine is much, much, MUCH better than the average player on KGS. "Opening" is my strength. And don't blindly follow too many joseki.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
BigBur wrote:
Wow! This was a blisteringly refreshing survey! I'm glad to have had the privilege of taking it. I'm so tired of uninventive polls. It makes me le sad. cry

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't include what we think our strengths are. Mine is endgame. I've won way to many games on KGS because my opponents' endgames were in states of disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and by the way, I would not want to buy a shell and slate, hand-made, old, or otherwise expensive goban for any reason whatsoever. Nor would I want a Ferrari. I'd rather expand my game collection. I'm happy with my korean glass stones that didn't cost much.

And do you know how many games I could buy with that much money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Abstractite wrote:
And do you know how many games I could buy with that much money?

Definitely at least one game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Abstractite wrote:
You didn't include what we think our strengths are. Mine is endgame. I've won way to many games on KGS because my opponents' endgames were in states of disaster.

I know. I just felt bad knowing I personally would have to check the box that said "no strength at all".

It was never meant to be "the ultimate Go survey". I just asked the questions that popped into my head. Perhaps I (or someone else) will do a "BGG Go survey, part 2" at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Severian596 wrote:

I'm with you, executioner. Kageyama added a few stones for me. I expect Tesuji will as well, once I'm through it thoroughly. I've also met/observed people who played tons of games and are static in their suckage. Books can really help you learn to see things in new ways that simply playing may not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sifu wrote:
Severian596 wrote:

I'm with you, executioner. Kageyama added a few stones for me. I expect Tesuji will as well, once I'm through it thoroughly. I've also met/observed people who played tons of games and are static in their suckage. Books can really help you learn to see things in new ways that simply playing may not.

tesuji, life&death, and attack and defense are about 80% of what it took for me to reach 1 dan. I have read those books (and one polish one similar to SecondBookOfGo') at least a hundred times EACH by the time I got there. I still go back to them to read them over every few months.
REALLY imprinting attack and defense in your mind will make you play strategically well even in blitz games, and the other 2 will make you a high dan level tactically. you then just need to play some, watch some games, and fill in slight holes in your play, very solid foundations having been in place.

I remeber when I was still 1 dan, and was watching a game from polish championships being analyzed, and out of all the 4/5/6 dan players I was the only one who knew without reading can a L+1 with both hane be killed... :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.