Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: ASLSK Compatability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I have ASLSK 1 & 2. I understand the pieces from the starter set are compatible with ASL (can be used).

My question is am I going to be dissapointed when/if I buy the ASL 2nd edition book and the 1st module that I'm going to have a small mountain of extra/ duplicate pieces. One does not need 64 US 6-6-6's and 16 German LMGs. I am wondering whether buying the ASLSK#3 makes sense if I think I may buy the ASL manual + module.

I guess too by just getting ASL manual and using ASLSK scenarios, I will be missing only the new game pieces like barber wire, blazes, sniper, etc.

Thanks - looking for comments .. keep e'm coming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
As Gygax intended.
badge
“It is a trivial grammar-school text, but yet worthy a wise man’s consideration. Question was asked of Demosthenes, what was the chief part of an orator? he answered, action; what next? action; what next again? action.”
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get into ASL, you'll find you can never have too many counters. You'll always want more whether you use them or not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwirlingTF wrote:
When you get into ASL, you'll find you can never have too many counters. You'll always want more whether you use them or not...

He ain't jokin'. I think when all is said and done, I have at least 12,000 ASL counters here and found myself with an urge to buy 5 extra sheets on ebay solely because I just HAD to have a set of black Waffen SS counters to replace the blue ones that you find in all the AH/MMP product released before the A Bridge Too Far HASL module.

It's kind of pathetic actually, but I just hated seeing a mix of blue and black counters [from other 3rd party products]--even though they all had identical specs--I had previously used in SS-related scenarios....

Plus, you *will* loose a counter here and there. Children, pets, and vacuum cleaners all have an uncanny ability to make counters disappear

EDIT: Merric makes a good point though about the maps--unless you plan on getting the map packs, the additional maps are handy [and there are a number of new scenarios using the SK maps beyond what comes in those boxes]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
KentZ wrote:
I have ASLSK 1 & 2. I understand the pieces from the starter set are compatible with ASL (can be used).

My question is am I going to be dissapointed when/if I buy the ASL 2nd edition book and the 1st module that I'm going to have a small mountain of extra/ duplicate pieces. One does not need 64 US 6-6-6's and 16 German LMGs. I am wondering whether buying the ASLSK#3 makes sense if I think I may buy the ASL manual + module.

It does, because you get eight fun scenarios and three new boards. Oh, and an introduction to the Vehicle rules (even if they're not quite as good as I'd like).

When you eventually move up to full ASL, you will need Beyond Valor 3e. 24 scenarios, 10 mapboards, ten countersheets... the amount of stuff dwarfs that in the SKs (although it is expensive).

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh you will need 64 6-6-6 US counters if you buy the Rulebook and the 1st module

Beyond Valor only has the Germans and Russians, plus the multitude of marker counters , you will need Yanks! for the US Army OOB , and Gung HO! for the USMC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
Ahh you will need 64 6-6-6 US counters if you buy the Rulebook and the 1st module

Beyond Valor only has the Germans and Russians, plus the multitude of marker counters , you will need Yanks! for the US Army OOB , and Gung HO! for the USMC

And, then of course, you'll need to bang your head into the wall or superheat your credit cards if you want to play the IJA and British OOB [you'd think a For King & Country reprint would have popped up on the P500 by now. shake It's can be mighty hard to tell the difference between "out of stock" and "out of print" when it comes to MMP's product line]

And then there are those Allied and Axis minor allies sets that will eventually call your name....and that's how you end up with enough counters to fight the entire war 1 50m-hex at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KentZ wrote:
My question is am I going to be dissapointed when/if I buy the ASL 2nd edition book and the 1st module that I'm going to have a small mountain of extra/ duplicate pieces.

Not at all. You may have some extras, but you'll also be getting a whole lot of new counters that aren't in the SK's at all. The SK countermix, while quite adequate for many scenarios, only scratches the surface of all the goodies in the full game. Also, many people (like me, for example) never mix the SK counters in at all. Instead, keep all your SK stuff together in one small box and you have a convenient package that you can pick up and play with a new player or take to a game night. Once you start getting several of the full ASL core modules, you'll end up needing a pretty significant storage system that doesn't really travel easily. So the SK stuff is very handy for quick games with new players, especially if you don't want to intimidate them with stacks of 50+ boards, 500 pages of rules, and 10 cases containing 15000+ counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hill
United States
spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I started playing SL awhile ago(we're talking early 80's and stopped when I moved out of the town of the group that owned the game) and recently (approx 1-2 yrs ago) started playing ASL(call it a non-sports car type of midlife crisis).

I made a conscious decision, after doing a fair bit of reading webpages and consulting "real ASL" players I was torn...do I SK or not.

In the end I settled on going the SK route (worked my way thru 1 to 3) as an attempt to re-intro to the system before going the "full" SL route and before buying the "full/real" rules-set. I got a few boards that weren't available elsewhere, quite a few extra counters, and I was able to teach my nephew how to play along the way (well actually we (re)learned together).

I recommend the route from a learning experience point of view.

If you have a few hardcore or "real" ASL players to help you learn the system then you can bypass the SK's (though I still think the counter-mix and boards are worth it, as well as having a "starter" version available for newer players) and go full-bore...

And yes I did end up buying the full manual/binder as well as every darn ASL product MMP has put out since, as well as quite a few that were still "in-stock" at the shops (yanks, paratrooper, partisan, etal).

for what it's worth hope this helps.

thanks,
eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Finding Opponents, espeically beginners
Thannks for all the responses - I think I'm in for ASLSK3 for many of the reasons posted .. and that leaves finding opponents.

What's the best site for opponents, ones I've found appear out of date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
dogmatix wrote:
[you'd think a For King & Country reprint would have popped up on the P500 by now. shake It's can be mighty hard to tell the difference between "out of stock" and "out of print" when it comes to MMP's product line]

MMP changed its P500 system for ASL - it only goes up there when it is almost ready to print. They ran into lots of problems (lots and lots) because of delays getting things like the map pack into production.

There are a bunch of older P500 ASL products up there (Doomed Battalions reprint, SK Mapboards, J2 reprint) which will be done sometime, and then you have products that are pretty much ready to go, like AP5 which is just up.

With the non-ASL products, they're looking for enough interest to even get started on them...

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
As Gygax intended.
badge
“It is a trivial grammar-school text, but yet worthy a wise man’s consideration. Question was asked of Demosthenes, what was the chief part of an orator? he answered, action; what next? action; what next again? action.”
mbmbmbmbmb
KentZ wrote:
What's the best site for opponents, ones I've found appear out of date.

A lot of the hard-core ASLers hang out at the GameSquad forum.

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

They have an Opponents Wanted board there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I have ASL 1st edition.. how different is it from 2nd edition? I have bought all of the squad leader stuff over the years.. SL, CoI, CoD, GI Anvil.. advanced ASL.. Now I am thinking about getting back into it and I really do not want to buy another rules manual..

In addition I have an early copy of Beyand Valor.. Do I need a new one of those also?

I acutually want to spend less money on this game than my son's magic card collections.. :)

regards
FF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Your 1st edition rules and early BV are fine. In fact, all of your old ASL stuff is still perfectly usable.

The latest version of BV comes with extra boards and counters that you probably already have from other modules, and extra scenarios that were first published in The GENERAL. Nothing brand-new was added to the latest BV (although some of the scenarios have been adjusted for better play balance).

The 2nd edition rules have a larger typeface, more examples, have all of the 1st edition errata incorporated... and a very few rules were rewritten for clarity or slightly modified. So the 2nd edition is better, but ASL is still the same game that you were playing with your 1st edition rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
hey thanks for the response. The thought of spending another 60 bucks or so scared me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.