Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting a few more boosters tomorrow and I'll add to this as more comes. I know people were interested in how the paints look, god knows I was, so here it is.

Let me just make a few notes on my initial figures:

Thrall - Looks f'n terrible for an Epic. I mean, seriously UD... take a bit extra time on the Epics. Really. He looks like absolute dogshit. Bad paint. Paint in places it shouldn't be. Skin color totally inappropriate. Ugh....

Ta'zo - Okay.... Much, much better. The fig is nice and big, the paint scheme is clean and looks solid. It's not layered or overly impressive, but it looks nice.

Azarak Wolfsblood - Poor at best. The armor looks okay... too glossy. His skin looks like shit, and I think someone with the shakes painted his face. Doesn't seem to have eyes to speak of. Also, part of his arm, which should be the shitty green they decided to paint the orcs, is the color of his armour. Disappointing.

Radrak Doombringer - The best of the group. But then again, he's a HUUUUUUGE figure, the largest of all the I got. Colors are clean and appropriate. Nice looking, and again, best of the group.

Ji'lan - She's okay. Unimpressive. The colors are appropriate and where they should be. They painted her eyes where they should be.

Kayleitha - Very much like Ji'lan. She's the smallest of the bunch and is a significant improvement over Thrall. Her armor is painted cleanly and appropriately. Her eyes are painted fairly well, too.

Overall, that's two figures I'm happy with and would show to people that were interested in the game. There are two figures that are decent and that are respectable. Thrall and Azarak, an Epic and Rare fig respectively, look like steaming dog shit. Their skin color is atrocious. It's this horrible snot green color with no shading and makes the figures look really shoddy. Thrall, at the very least, needs to be a showpiece. He's not even close.

*UPDATE*
There's the beginning pictures. I've got a fair amount more now (damn you plastic, collectible, crack) so I'll probably continue to update or post a new paint review. Thanks for the patience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: So, How's the Paint? A Review of WoW Minis Paint Jobs.
TTIUWP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
TTIUWP.

Duly Noted. I'll update when I get home from work, as my digicam was at work last night when I wrote this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwann O\'C
France
Lyon
Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
TTIUWP.

Meaning ? :x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lincal wrote:
reapersaurus wrote:
TTIUWP.

Meaning ? :x

This Thread Is Useless Without Pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said previously: I'm getting a few more boosters tonight and I'll snap pictures of everything, as well as add to this review. I just wanted to get something up ASAP because, with the game coming out yesterday, I wanted people to be at least a little informed about what they were buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I was just answering his question as to what the acronym meant. Take your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Oh, I was just answering his question as to what the acronym meant. Take your time.

Oh yeah, NP. I actually had to look it up myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What did Monsterpocalypse do differently since they actually managed to have "good" painting while the other recent collectible games (this, mutant chronicles and D&D) have made no similar improvements?

Not saying these other paint jobs are horrible, just that they are nothing special and WoW miniatures definitely was talking up their paint jobs prior to release. Especially in relation to the cost of the boosters. So far they just seem to be like every other miniature game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no prepainted miniatures expert, but it has to be the airbrushing technique they used as opposed to just regular hand painting. Couple that with the fact that the in-house PP painters are some of the best in the business...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reedo wrote:
Worst acronym ever.

It's not really an acronym.

It was a joke - in that, I could have put just about ANY reply that hinted at that phrase (even its initials which aren't normally used) and most people could guess it from the context.
laugh

Glad to see the added pics! thumbsup

edit: It would probably aid the reader to make your pictures larger.
Just edit your post and add the word medium in the image tag, like this:

the text looks like this....
ImageID=396933 medium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martinez
United States
ventura
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
When I first heard about these I thought, oh crap, here's another game I'm going to have to get every piece for. But after looking at the pieces I am relieved that I won't have to buy them. I will stick to Age of Ragnarok: Confrontation. Those miniatures are much better painted and have more interesting sculpts in my opinion. Although I might have to get a hunter piece in honor of my old dwarf hunter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
I'm no prepainted miniatures expert, but it has to be the airbrushing technique they used as opposed to just regular hand painting. Couple that with the fact that the in-house PP painters are some of the best in the business...

Privateer is manic for quality. They've made several trips to China to tweak the assembly line paint process and the results come through with the figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I have to say the pictures aren't as bad as you described.

And obviously that second picture tells no story.

I'll have to wait until I see some in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had trouble getting Ta'zo in focus because his sculpt is so dynamic. As much as I've bitched about the paint qualities, I'll make a few additional comments after having opened 6 total boosters:

While the paints are, IMO, subpar, the sculpts look really nice. They're all very dynamic, sturdy where they should be, and really give some nice flavor to the characters

For the most part, your Draenai, Tauren, Male Orcs, Male Trolls, and Night Elves seem to be the best painted. These are, for the most part, the larger figures of them all, which is probably a contributing factor.

UD must have some seriously inconsistency within their paint department for the prepaints. I say this because, where Thrall is very poor, other sculpts (which I've yet to show) look great. Phadaleus the Enlightened, Irana, Lorlai Risingmoon, and Celenias Firemane all look GREAT! I was especially impressed with Celenias. She's a tiny sculpt (not gnome tiny, mind you) and she's very lithe, but her paint job looks very, very good.

I love the decision by UD to stick with a similar formatting to that of the WoW TCG. It looks nice and gives some solid uniformity.

The game is a breeze to pick up and play. It really is. As I'm sure Paul will agree, the game isn't as smooth as Monsterpocalypse; however, I think the game may be a bit more approachable due to the individual cards for each character and the fact that symbols don't need to be memorized. Couple that with the fact that the timing mechanism in the game really stays true to form with the MMO battlegrounds, and I really think this game has the potential to be successful on its own merit--and by that I mean the game could be a good one WITHOUT the WoW license (though that of course helps).

Finally, and here's the real highlight for me: I pulled two loot cards from boosters, which will essentially pay for the booster I purchased. I'm intrigued by the game, and I'll add additional comments as I have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
Thanks for the pics. I'm pretty disappointed that they look about the same as HeroScape mini's, while D&D miniatures and HeroClix look noticeably better. Hope you submit your pics to the BGG database so you can get your geekgold!

Heroclix = dead
D&D Minis= no further game support

To my knowledge the only collectible minis now are WoW, Monsterapocalypse and A&A minis.
Mutant Chronicles aren't collectible since all figures are open buys.

The minis I've seen vary in quality. Some look great, others much less so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of effort do you think would have to go into manually improving them? I mean, is it the kind of base paint job that would be HUGELY improved by a simple ink wash / varnish dip?

I'm tempted... but only if I can make them look nice with a simple dip method or something similar. The sculpts look awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://15mmvsf.bagofmice.com/paint/dip.html

The Magic Dip makes everything look better. I'd dip my cat if I thought she'd sit still for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Schrader
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

To my knowledge the only collectible minis now are WoW, Monsterapocalypse and A&A minis.

Not to split hairs, but SW minis are still rather popular (not with me, but, you know. Trekkie.), unless I missed an announcement about discontinuing them too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Anderson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unfortunate that they don't just let you paint these. Even if they looked great I'd rather paint them to get some variety. And I know you could paint over them but I don't think it would be that great to paint over paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FerretOfTindalos wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

Not to split hairs, but SW minis are still rather popular (not with me, but, you know. Trekkie.), unless I missed an announcement about discontinuing them too...

Are they collectible in the sense that there are different rarities and sell in blind packages? Is there a game system for them?
If so, then by all means add them to the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Schrader
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do indeed meet both qualifications, with the attendant ridiculous prices of certain Jedi in the secondary market. I'm surprised you don't know about them, since you seem informed about D&D minis; WotC does them both and superficially the rules are very similar.

Also like D&D Minis, the earlier sets were decidedly unimpressive, but new ones are great sculpts and, at least over the internet, pleasing paintjobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In regards to the "can we improve paint jobs ourselves" : I don't think it'll be too, too, hard. I'm certainly going to do it with Thrall. I hate how his face looks. The nice thing is that the figures are nice and large so painting them shouldn't be TOOOOOOOO difficult.

My distaste for the miniatures has gone down considerably. Are there some that look terrible. Yes. Are most of them of a decent tabletop quality that someone that DOESN'T paint their own stuff, or HASN'T seen what a well painted mini looks like, would be impressed by? Yes.

I took some to school on Friday and showed a few of my students how to play, and they were very impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Schrader
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:

I took some to school on Friday and showed a few of my students how to play, and they were very impressed.

In other news, the state of Ohio's average GPA plummeted .60 points this week....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FerretOfTindalos wrote:
wittdooley wrote:

In other news, the state of Ohio's average GPA plummeted .60 points this week....

Ignorant and condescending, much?
I didn't realize that I'd need to specify that we played in our games club to appease the elitists from California.
Go hijack another thread, asshole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.