Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manowarplayer's FIFTH ANNUAL Christmas Game Give-away Contest

The Contest has Officially Ended!

I'm making a list...checking it twice... gonna find out who's wrong and who's right!

Look for the Winner announcement in a GEEKLIST sometime in the 2nd week of December! (Man I have a LOT of replies to do this year!)

Twas the Month before Christmas and all through the house...

A Magical Christmas Story....

Once upon a time (before people had digital thumbs), there was a simple idea for a Christmas Contest.

There were many wonderful geeks that played, but only one lucky geek guessed correctly and he received some holiday cheer under his Christmas Tree. The following year, there was Another Christmas Contest, along the lines of the first.

Now our winner from the previous year nearly missed out on that year's contest but he made it in at the last minute and then he decided to share with BGG the Magic that had happened the year before. This special story had been unknown to all but those involved to that point...

Upon reading this, a very well known guy here at the Geek got the idea to start the Secret Santa Exchange(s) here on BGG:

2008 Secret Santa Exchange

2007 Secret Santa Exchange

2006 Secret Santa Exchange

2005 Secret Santa Exchange

With over 1000 (Again!) people participating in this year's Secret Santa, this looks to be the biggest year yet. Unfortunately, I personally can't afford to do both this contest and Tom's and since I don't want to stop my own little tradition, I'm continuing it again this year!

Welcome to Manowarplayer's FIFTH (yes, FIFTH!) ANNUAL Christmas Game Giveaway!

I'm giving away a game in my collection as a Christmas present to whoever correctly guesses which game it is. Really!

That's right, a game, not geek gold. It's the Holiday season and I wanted to do something appropriate and what could be more appropriate than a gamer getting a game for a Christmas contest? Right?
I can't tell you which game because that is for you to figure out.
I’m not going to say whether it is a brand new shrink wrapped game or an opened game from my collection.
I’m not going to give you an idea of the dollar value of the game.
I’m not going to say if it is a boardgame, miniatures game or a CCG. You’ll just have to wait until I announce the winner!

As a side note, I also use this contest to find a few new Geekbuddies in addition to keeping in touch with my old ones. The idea is that maybe you'll look through my list of games, see that we are Geekbuddy compatible and let me know! Of course, you may just get a great game out of it too!

Don't think we are a good Geekbuddy match? SO? I want you to make a guess anyway! This is the best time of the year and I want to spread some Christmas Cheer! So check out my collection and let's see if I have the perfect Christmas Present for YOU.

Here are the rules:

1. Go to my profile and on my Rating Distribution Chart and click on any of the groups of games I've rated a 7 or HIGHER and look through them to see what I have. I could be giving away ANYTHING and your job is to pick the correct one. That's right, I'm giving away something from my collection that needs a good home. Maybe it's something I don't play anymore. Maybe it's something I have more than one copy of. Maybe it's something I grabbed at a convention or a flea market. Whatever you think it is, just be sure to make a guess of something you WANT!

2.You only get ONE shot at it so make it a good guess!

3. People who make more than ONE guess will get COAL in there stocking!

4. Make a reply to this post stating which game you think it is - hopefully you'll also get a chance to compare some of the games that I like and see how we match up as Geekbuddies. If you think we should be Geekbuddies, let me know! I really enjoy reading all the comments about how people came up with their guesses, so feel free to elaborate a bit on your guess when you make your post.

I take the time to respond personally to everyone's entry, so the more you elaborate in your post, the more I have to work with. Because of this I reserve the right to end the contest at any point - mainly so I'll have enough time to write up the responses!

5. I'll cover any shipping costs to those here is the US, but if you live outside the USA and want to play too, feel free to guess as long as you are willing to pay the shipping costs to get the game to you.

6. By the way, EVERYONE is entitled to play, BGG Admins and sponsers are more than welcome to make a guess.

Previous Christmas Game Giveaway Winners:

2004Dane Peacock (Sky Knight X)
Dane found a copy of Galaxy: The Dark Ages under his Christmas Tree!
Winner's Announcement

2005 Jeff Adair (adonismayhem)
Jeff found a copy of Blokus waiting for him under his Christmas Tree.
Winner's Announcement

2006 had TWO Winners:
Patrick Barringer (Patticus)
Patrick recieved a new copy of RA in his stocking!

2006 Todd Sweet (TMJJS)
Todd found a new copy of All Wound Up under the decorations.
Winner's Announcement

2007 Dave Blizzard (davebliz)
Dave found a new copy of Die Macher in his stocking.
Winner's Announcement

[b]2008 YOUR NAME HERE (bgguser)[b]
What will be this year's surprise?

[b]Please be jolly with your thumbsup so this thread can stay active/hot and more people can participate![b]

Here is some Christmas music to get you in the Holiday spirit!

[COLOR=#FF0000]Whew! Hope you picked a song or two to play while you make your guess!

Good Luck!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simplified Rules for those that don't want to read all the above...

1. Go to my profile and look at my game collection.
2. Of the games rated 7 or HIGHER, pick the one you think I've selected to give to some lucky Geek!
3. Make your post.
4. Give this thread a thumbsup to keep it active and hot!
5. Await my Winner's announcement where I tell you you were correct!

Merry[/BGCOLOR] [COLOR=#009900]Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Circus Maximus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's most definitely Samurai!
Why? Well, it's a game I've been wanting to try for awhile, but never wanted to buy and it may be one you'd be willing to let go of as well as you state you don't get to play it enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking Ivanhoe. It's a good little GMT card game but not quite good enough to see the table when there are so many great games in the collection.

Merry Christmas Manowarplayer and thanks for the Holiday Spirit!

PS - Where do I get me a cool bookcase like that?

How did I choose it? (Ivanhoe)

Well it was simple math really (and I'm not normally mathy).

You see I did some letter analysis. There were 4 letters that featured in the title Ivanhoe that also featured in Manowar. That left 3 letters in Ivanhoe that were not found in Manowar. Multiply these together and we get the answer of 12.

I then found a strange anomaly in that you posted 6 Christmas clips and you have logged 2 plays of Ivanhoe. Multiply these together and we get 12! A coincedance...I think not. ninja

You also wrote in your Ivanhoe Comments that it is a great family game and one the kids can enjoy too. Amazingly I too have a family and I think the boys would love to play this with me and my wife.

So members of the Jury I feel that the proof is undeniable. Manowarplayer has indeed chosen Ivanhoe for this year's contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to guess Railways of the World. You clearly love it -- maybe you have two copies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll guess Pandemic because you want to share the love for this great game.

Wish I could give more thumbs for your amazing generosity each year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Gervais
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects

Ok, here are the reasons that I think you'll pick this one.

1. It's a game you clearly enjoy and you want to spread the love of a good game.
2. Despite your affection for it, you haven't played it this year.
3. It's in a nice price range that makes it a good gift, but if you decide to get it again, you'd still be able to replace it.

Reasons you might not pick it:
1. You forgot you haven't played it this year and want to get it played again.
2. It's possible the components have gotten warn in that many plays, and you want the game you send out to be in great shape.

Well, I hope that gives you some insight into what how I thought about what you might pick.

Thanks again for running this great contest each year. Even participating is a lot of fun, and it must really be a blast for the person who wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate's Cove

Reasons: It's not a 7 and it's not a 10. It is a game with Pirates and everyone knows Pirates and Manowars fight so he'd want to give it away to some good little pirate children Aaarrrr.

Either way, Merry Christmas awesome gift.

Shieldwolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Firth
Australia
Greenwood
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle

why? well I kept picking random games from you 7+ list until I got one that

(a) I liked / thought I might like
(b) I did not already own
(c) It was not the expansion for a game where I didn't own the base set
(d) No-one else had already picked

It took until the 8th such selection for all criteria to be satisfied.

Great Tradition ... Merry Christmas from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaroslaw Kuczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately Java due to "A little" comment There has to be something about that

Merry Christmas manowarplayer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing Aladdin's Dragons, because

1) It would be a spectacular giveaway , being OOP
2) You would naturally want other people to try your variant
3) Santa has mind-reading powers and that's the one that would light me up with the biggest smile!

Cheers, and thanks for running this and providing endless but enjoyable speculative entertainment yet again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting my money on Pitchcar, it's a game I've been dying to try, and what better way to spend the holidays than having some Pitchcar fun with family and friends!

Have a merry xmas manowarplayer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pick Antike, because...I don't know why

Thanks for running this giveaway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula (second edition).

I didn't bother to come up with a reason, so instead, I decided on interpretative dance:

ninja sauron goo
snore angry wow zombiezombiezombie
cry ninja
surprise surprise surprise meeple sauron

Poll
How good was the dance?
HARDCORE AWESOME TO THE EXTREEEEEMMEEEE!!!1111!!OneonON1!eleven1
It was awesome! Marry me!
It was okay...but I secretly hate you.
It sucked.
INTERROBANG‽
      39 answers
Poll created by OldestManOnMySpace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Verdonck
Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing ... Colosseum.

Thanks for running this and have a Merry Xmas manowarplayer !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be La Citta for sure. It's been on my radar for a while but not yours.

Happy holidays and keep up the good work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Merry Christmas, manowarplayer!

I'm thinking you'd pick Ticket to Ride: Europe redtrain

Reason? It looks like you haven't played it in a while, even though the original still seems to hit the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reyner Vito
Indonesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I`m guessing : Agricola, because I think you want to share one of the mega hyped game on BGG, so the winner will have a chance to enjoy this game like the others. :D

Thanks for running this ... Merry Christmas !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeey, it's here again!

Oh, that does remind me to keep thumbing! I keep thumbing all the good stuff, I only forget to thumb pictures this year..

(oh, and we're down in Correlation! 0.62-0.66-0.63-0.59. Still high, though)

My first two guesses are already taken! Ehm... how about: RoboRally?

Now, start another My Eyes! My Eyes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Pips
United States
Lititz
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Merry Christmas, Geeks!

You will be giving away 1960: The Making of the President.

I know this because you gave away a few hints in your comments:

"All in all, this is a fantastic game that I just want to keep playing. After 4 games or so, I've yet to win too." - Manowarplayer

First of all, you say this is a fantastic game that you just want to keep playing. If that's so, then I'm sure you would want others to share the joy.

Secondly, you say you have yet to win a game. Well, all the more reason to pass it on.

Of course, this choice of yours has nothing to do with the historic election that just occurred ...

There's no other possible reason to give away a game about politics ...

2008: The Making of the President, also known as 2008: Nice Political Christmas Gift from Manowarplayer.

Merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Pengelly
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its going to be Nautilus.

Merry Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
badge
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vegas Showdown!

Played this only online so far, and really enjoyed it. Wouldn't mind to own this game, so I can play it with my gaming friends! I know they will like it as much as I do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Zehner
United States
Saint Cloud
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing your Christmas give away again this year. You certainly have one of the most, if not the most, comprehensive game lists on BGG.

I've read through your game comments and I think it comes down between Doom: The Boardgame and Colossal Arena. I'm an intuitive guy, so, I'll go with Doom: The Boardgame. Not that my intuition has ever won me the lottery or anything!

Take Care,

Gene Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.