David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Does anyone know of a geeklist (or other resource) listing what games from Essen will not be released in English, and/or those that won't be coming soon to an online store near me?

I'm hoping to place an international order soon, and don't want to end up buying something that is going to be released in English in six weeks (or that I will be able to order more easily from Boards & Bits in a month).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough question to answer but here's some guidelines I use. Boards & Bits and Thoughthammer both list pre-order pages with a pretty good list of what they expect to get. Between the two of them I get a pretty good feel of what won't be coming over anytime soon from Essen.

Funagain goes to Essen and buys up new items in bulk along with lots of used games that will show up later on their website. They're the one that I find gets lots of games that won't show up at other retailers albeit at a much higher price. But it would be pure speculation on my part which games they get that I don't think will see an English version. Right now I'm guessing Bushido, Landgang, and Wind River will not see English versions but may make it out through distributor like FRED. I just ordered Le Havre and Wind River from Funagain since I haven't seen them on any other pre-order lists yet, though I can't imagine everyone not getting Le Havre at some point.

Emailing the online store with an inquiry as to whether they'll be getting a game is also a way to go. Tom at B&B and Jim at Bouldergames are pretty good about letting you know if they have plans to get a game or not.

RGG is pretty good at announcing in advance the games they will release in English from the Essen bunch.

Are there any in particular you're interested in? With very few exceptions, most of the Euros this year seemed to be language neutral. It would be a good geeklist to have though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
That's a tough question to answer but here's some guidelines I use. Boards & Bits and Thoughthammer both list pre-order pages with a pretty good list of what they expect to get. Between the two of them I get a pretty good feel of what won't be coming over anytime soon from Essen.

Funagain goes to Essen and buys up new items in bulk along with lots of used games that will show up later on their website. They're the one that I find gets lots of games that won't show up at other retailers albeit at a much higher price. But it would be pure speculation on my part which games they get that I don't think will see an English version. Right now I'm guessing Bushido, Landgang, and Wind River will not see English versions but may make it out through distributor like FRED. I just ordered Le Havre and Wind River from Funagain since I haven't seen them on any other pre-order lists yet, though I can't imagine everyone not getting Le Havre at some point.

Emailing the online store with an inquiry as to whether they'll be getting a game is also a way to go. Tom at B&B and Jim at Bouldergames are pretty good about letting you know if they have plans to get a game or not.

RGG is pretty good at announcing in advance the games they will release in English from the Essen bunch.

Are there any in particular you're interested in? With very few exceptions, most of the Euros this year seemed to be language neutral. It would be a good geeklist to have though.

Before anyone (and everyone ;) decides to start emailing with requests, I have a request of my own.

We have started the busy season with Christmas on its way, so answering too many "will you be carrying this" emails can be very time-consuming.

We'll do our best to carry any and every game we can get our hands on as soon as possible. The best thing to do is to just keep checking back on our site.

Now that we're so busy, finding time to complete MyInventory is getting tougher. MyInventory would help in a situation such as this by allowing us to add items to our site without any information and still let customers add them to their buy list.

Unfortunately, for now, we're stuck with the current system of waiting until we have items available in stock or for pre-order. And imports are tougher to set up for pre-order because we usually don't know all of the costs involved until the products actually arrive at our warehouse.

If you do have requests, feel free to email them to us. We will add the game(s) to our system and do what we can to get them here in a timely manner.

Thanks!

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, thanks for the great information. Your pre-order list was pretty impressive and didn't lack much IMHO. Keep up the great work and I hope you (and all the online retailers) have a great holiday season! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Tom, thanks for the great information. Your pre-order list was pretty impressive and didn't lack much IMHO. Keep up the great work and I hope you (and all the online retailers) have a great holiday season! :meeple:

Thanks Walt!

With all of the new games coming out this season, I wish I could spend all of my time tracking them down and bringing them in (Tom the Bounty Hunter? ;)

But we're doing all we can just to keep the games we already stock coming in and going out. I hired some extra help for the holidays, but unfortunately he received an offer he couldn't refuse, so we're down a man at the moment, which certainly doesn't help. And also explains why I'm posting here at 11p, and answering customer emails at 9a ;)

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom has come through for me fantastically!
Highly recommended.

If you absolutely must get an import in and you want to request it, http://fairplaygames.com is also very open to requests. They are who I got Space Dealer and Factory Fun from, by special order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.