Subject: Looking to bolster my Christmas list... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Nielsen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I want to get something besides clothes or video games this year, and that means I have to ask for something besides clothes or video games. I'm a pretty big fan of theme, and I'm looking for a card game, kind of. I want stuff that's anywhere from short filler to 45 minutes, maybe 1 hour long tops. I'm preferably looking for card games or games in small to medium boxes. I want at least one of the games I ask for to have a back stab factor. Then I want something with some depth or complexity too (although they don't have to be in the same package).

I'm thinking something along the lines of Red November, Cutthroat Caverns, The Red Dragon Inn. I've also been looking at stuff like Fairy Tale or Dominion, Games with cool drafting I guess. For the record I've got Blue Moon shipping as a present to my brothers. And for the deeper game,Race for the Galaxy seems like it might be what I want. Obviously tell me which of these games are good, as well as others along these lines.

Really, the biggest restriction for what I want is the size, as I'm running out of space in my closet, and I've found that those sort of games tend to be bigger hits with my friends.

Thanks in advance!!

Edit: PS is Shadow Hunters any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Everything in your basic list looks good, but Citadels is a must - major backstab factor, takes about as long as you're talking about, nice small box.

Also Hex Hex, For Sale, Landlord!, Friday the 13th, the original Coloretto.

As far as small box games go, you also have Fantasy Flight's entire Silver Line, out of which I'd recommend Magdar, Atlanteon, Wreckage, Arena Maximus, Kingdoms, Scarab Lords and Minotaur Lords - all have some kind of element where one player slams the other, though ATLANTEON and the LORDS games are 2-player, where that sort of thing is expected. I've played all of these and think they're interesting enough and very solid 'filler' material.

There's also the Kosmos 2-players, like Hellas, Lost Cities, Hera and Zeus, etc. I haven't played any, but they're supposed to be good.

Heard good things about SHADOW HUNTERS, haven't played yet myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WHile they are card games, Red Dragon and Dominion have absurdly large boxes (you'd might as well get a full size board game). Obviiously you can ditch the box to compress it, but the same could be said of most board games. So if size of box is your biggest criteria then you need to make that clear.

Big games in small packages:
Colossal Arena (plays well with 3 or 4)
San Juan (a little lighter than Race, in a much smaller box)
Fairy Tale

Have a look at those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roma is a great game in a little box. It's like some of the other games you mentioned in that there are different cards with different powers. But it uses dice in a pretty interesting way.

Glory to Rome is a great card game with some complexity. Kind of like Race for the Galaxy with more direct interaction.

Both games fit your game time requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.