WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I spent a long time about Germans set up in Dry Ground firefight.
And then I realized the best defense is to attack.

According to the graph above, you just need to spend 5 APs to transport the FlaK18 88mm AAG to H06 and unload it for 2 APs + 5 CAPs.
Then you have a good chance to destroy one T-34 in the first round.

The only problem is the two Mortars.
My solution is to hide your FlaK18 and go outside after the two Mortars fireing the smoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good ideas there!

When I played this my opponet put the Flak gun in the trench - there was no way to get my tanks in where they needed to be without crossing its line of fire, and being on a hill in a trench made it virtually indestructible.

A great use for the Pioneers in this one is to lay smoke in the vulnerable spots that the retreating infantry are passing through.

For the soviets, I found using group movements with CAPs at the beginning of the first turn to make sure my units were on the map and still not activated yet helped, and meant I could get many of my units in range or almost in range of the retreating infantry by the end of the first turn.

Some good thoughts on pressing the attack though! My main worry would be if the soviets broke through the defenses, there wouldn't be much left to protect the retreating infantry. I definitely think you need a unit or two on the hill where you have LOS on a lot of good places and also have the +1 attack and defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silvanus321 wrote:

According to the graph above, you just need to spend 5 APs to transport the FlaK18 88mm AAG to H06 and unload it for 2 APs + 5 CAPs.
Then you have a good chance to destroy one T-34 in the first round.

Thinking about this firefight and your setup some more...

When I played this as the Soviets, I had all of my tanks in the woods south of where your Flak gun is before even activating any of them (I used group movement and CAPs). If I did this with your set up, they would be out of range and LOS of anything that could hurt them. I could then move them along the road, and they would be out of the arc of fire of your Flak (unless you unloaded it as a response, but that would be pretty expensive), and then the main but only real defense you would have would be the gun you have on the minefield, which I have to admit would still be a pain to get around.

I think the whole "offense is the best defense" idea is not the greatest for the Germans in this one. It is already a -very- tough job for the Soviets, and I think as the Germans I would concentrate on making things tough for the Germans to take the road. I think your minefield on the road is a fantastic idea. Having some infantry drop a roadblock somewhere on that road would also be a good idea I think. The truck and wagons I would keep for transporting the infantry. You need to be able to move fast so that the Soviet mortars do not get multiple chances to hit them. As soviets I put the mortars in the heavy woods in the Southwest, and they were able to take potshots at the infantry just as they almost exited the board at the north. If they didn't have transportation to keep them moving quickly, they would have gotten multiple shots at the infantry before they could get off the board.

Thanks for posting, by the way! I think it's great to put out some ideas and get some discussions around the strategy in this game. Every firefight seems to have so many different ways to approach it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:

When I played this as the Soviets, I had all of my tanks in the woods south of where your Flak gun is before even activating any of them (I used group movement and CAPs). If I did this with your set up, they would be out of range and LOS of anything that could hurt them. I could then move them along the road, and they would be out of the arc of fire of your Flak (unless you unloaded it as a response, but that would be pretty expensive), and then the main but only real defense you would have would be the gun you have on the minefield, which I have to admit would still be a pain to get around.

Command Group Movement is a good idea for activate your troop.
You're right. It is a gambling for this setup. If I were Soviet, I would like to chose the south bridge too.
Since when I cross the bridge, my tanks can choose to pass the road or the wood.

BTW, I thought time is an issue for the Soviet. To distract the Soviet focus and slow down the tank movement is another way to defeat them.

Quote:
I think the whole "offense is the best defense" idea is not the greatest for the Germans in this one. It is already a -very- tough job for the Soviets, and I think as the Germans I would concentrate on making things tough for the Germans to take the road. I think your minefield on the road is a fantastic idea. Having some infantry drop a roadblock somewhere on that road would also be a good idea I think. The truck and wagons I would keep for transporting the infantry. You need to be able to move fast so that the Soviet mortars do not get multiple chances to hit them. As soviets I put the mortars in the heavy woods in the Southwest, and they were able to take potshots at the infantry just as they almost exited the board at the north. If they didn't have transportation to keep them moving quickly, they would have gotten multiple shots at the infantry before they could get off the board.

I agree that Mortars are the other problem for Germans and Southwest wood is a perfect position to protect them and support the smoke or fire for tank moving.

How and when to fire the smoke is the key point for Soviet attacking I thought.

Quote:
Thanks for posting, by the way! I think it's great to put out some ideas and get some discussions around the strategy in this game. Every firefight seems to have so many different ways to approach it!

Thanks for your suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silvanus321 wrote:

I agree that Mortars are the other problem for Germans and Southwest wood is a perfect position to protect them and support the smoke or fire for tank moving.

Using the Mortars for firing smoke to protect the tanks is a great idea that I didn't even think about when I played! I used the mortars purely to shoot at the retreating infantry when they hit the small open area at the north end of the map.

I lucked out and got a "Dual Attack" card and used it with a group move to get the tanks over the bridge without a reaction shot. Next time I play this as the Soviets I'll remember the smoke though and use it to make sure my tanks get across to the other side safely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The mortars really are the lynch pin to this firefight. We had a great time designing it and really put some thought into it. As you can see, it is difficult to win with both sides! Of course, Gunter always sets up one or two hidden Germans way up front to pop up and kill mortars when the main Soviet forces have passed him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Only 50mm or smaller may be 'inside' the trench

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Pultorak wrote:
Only 50mm or smaller may be 'inside' the trench

Thanks Steve, I had missed that before!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.