JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not upset or outraged by this, but I do find it amusing. "F" is now considered a cuss word at my kids' school.

No more complaining about these "f'in tests"!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure where "eff" and "effin'" came from, but it fucking annoys me when I hear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
I'm not upset or outraged by this, but I do find it amusing. "F" is now considered a cuss word at my kids' school.

Soon, very soon, Sesame Street will ban the F word.

´Sing along now, A B C D E *beep* G H...'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, but it's ok to say "This sucks", "you suck", "that blows", etc. That would have been certain detention, long ago, back in my day.

I remember when "suck my dick" was a common taunt among friends back in my middle school years. Then I remember saying it to someone in high school and thinking, "What a weird thing to say in casual conversation".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son went through this phase a few years ago. We were playing Fearsome Floors and he was losing terribly. He kept saying "I hate that f-in monster. I hate this f-in game."

Finally, I called him on the carpet for it right in front of the other players, telling him I wouldn't tolerate that type of language (He was 20 at the time).

A few turns later, someone was calculating where the monster would go and Eldest Son said "He'll come through that F-in wall."

I lost it and went ballistic on him. Once I calmed down, my son pointed to the board and said "The monster will go through the 'F' out wall and come in the 'F' in wall."

Needless to say, I was red-faced and my gaming buddies had a really good laugh at my expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
MWChapel wrote:
Not sure where "eff" and "effin'" came from, but it fucking annoys me when I hear it.

FNA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet when someone types WTF do you read it as the initials, or what the initials are saying?

Methinks it's not the letter, but the tone/context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:

Don't joke about something like that!

Ever since they made Cookie Monster eat vegetables and took away his pipe, I've feared for the youth of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That reminds me of a story.

A mother was making breakfast for her kids.

The oldest came down the stairs, rubbing his eyes.

"What do you want for breakfast, sweetie?" she asked.

"Get me some fuckin' Corn Flakes," he said.

SMACK! She knocked him halfway across the room.

The middle child came down the stair shortly afterward, stepping over the oldest kid on the way.

"What do you want for breakfast, sweetie?" she asked.

"I think I'd like some fuckin' Corn Flakes," he said.

SMACK! She knocked him halfway across the room, almost knocking over the youngest child who had come down the stairs in time to witness all of this.

Regaining her composure, the mother asked, "How about you, sweetie? What do you want for breakfast?"

The youngest replied, "I don't know, but I know I sure as hell don't want no fuckin' Corn Flakes."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this "ban" is just a sly way of enforcing a new rule that no student is allowed to fail, regardless how poorly they do.

"Sorry, we don't give F's any more; it's a dirty letter. D's as low as we go. Even though Johnny only got one question right all year, looks like he's going to go onto the next grade!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
[monty_python] Intercourse the school! [/monty_python]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:
MGBM wrote:

Don't joke about something like that!

Ever since they made Cookie Monster eat vegetables and took away his pipe, I've feared for the youth of the world.

Oh man... I learned about the veggie thing on Colbert Report, but not the pipe too!?!

If kids are picking up smoking (or eating only cookies) from this, I got news for ya - it ain't because of the damn muppet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MGBM wrote:
Jatoha wrote:

Yes, this is as silly as some high rise buildings not labeling a floor 13 on the 13th floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
I remember when "suck my dick" was a common taunt among friends back in my middle school years.
Yeah, I remember that too. But I didn't think it was all that unusual until Geena Davis said it in her "Die Hard" style movie with Samuel L Jackson, whatever it was called.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was nothing even remotely "Die Hard" about that movie. Geena Davis never walked barefoot through any glass, and there was no British actor playing the evil mastermind. And it was far more delightful when Demi Moore said it in that "Oh Look I Shaved My Head" movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah "sucks" was an interesting one. As children we knew not to say it in front of our parents who never really cursed. Then as we got older we would say it more freely in front of the parents and in proper emotional context.

Just the other day on the phone with Mom, she was talking about some unfortunate situation and she said that it "sucked" without even skipping a beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb

If you are leaving then I wish you luck
I hope someone can make your heart warm
I was a baby when I learned to suck
But you have raised it to an art form

BNL, Wind it Up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
That reminds me of one of my favorite movie endings. In the last moments of the Costa-Gavras movie Z, the narrator intones, "Concurrently, the military banned long hair on males; mini-skirts; Sophocles; Tolstoy; Euripedes; smashing glasses after drinking toasts; labor strikes; Aristophanes; Ionesco; Sartre; Albee; Pinter; freedom of the press; sociology; Beckett; Dostoyevsky; modern music; popular music; the new mathematics; and the letter "Z", which in ancient Greek means 'He is alive!'"

That aside, like you, Jess, I have no problem like this. I'm sure the students say the sixth letter of the alphabet, but they mean fuck.

I remember being very surprised at the frequent use of the word "frickin" in the Austin Powers movies. There didn't seem to be any question in my mind what word they were really saying. I hadn't realized it had become some kind of euphemism.

I was also a bit shocked at the usage of "suck" when it first became popular, but now it's lost practically all its shock value. Language evolves, even profanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
MGBM wrote:
Jatoha wrote:

Yes, this is as silly as some high rise buildings not labeling a floor 13 on the 13th floor.

I've seen at least one building here in Toronto which has also skipped 4 and 14, which are unlucky in Chinese culure IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
jjloc wrote:
MGBM wrote:
Jatoha wrote:

I've seen at least one building here in Toronto which has also skipped 4 and 14, which are unlucky in Chinese culure IIRC.

Good gosh! Skipping 3 numbers will only lead to massive confusion. Just use letters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

Good gosh! Skipping 3 numbers will only lead to massive confusion. Just use letters!

But not "F".... and maybe "G".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

I was also a bit shocked at the usage of "suck" when it first became popular, but now it's lost practically all its shock value. Language evolves, even profanity.

Yes it does. The languages referred to as the Indo-European family of languages (most of the languages that originated from Ireland in the west, the Sahara in the South and India in the East) of today are descended from a language linguists call Proto-Indo-European. Apparently, all words referring to a person's body in that language were considered taboo.

Today, only certain of our body parts are considered taboo words and are often replaced by words used for animals. But then, all body parts, even the words for "arm", "leg", "ear", etc. which led to various distortions (euphemisms) which in turn came to be considered taboo words, which then needed euphemisms which then, well, you get the picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like your school is run by farging iceholes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
sounds like your school is run by farging iceholes.

or some other truckers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My school system doesn't use Fs in grading, actually, and we have even banned the word "gang." I still have not received confirmation on whether "gangbusters" is included in that ban or not, because if it is I will need to find a new way to describe blizzards and torrential rainfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.