Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have just placed my first order with BoardGameClub.

I ordered

Conflict of Heroes
Stone Age

Payment was taken at the point of ordering.

Both were in stock with the supplier when I placed the order but the next day I got a status update

Conflict of Heroes - ordered from supplier - expect in 2-3 days
Stone Age - out of stock with supplier

Today, 4 days after placing the order I get an eMail saying that Stone Age is in stock.

Fantatsic I thought, so I go to my account to check the great news and I'm met with the following

Conflict of Heroes - out of stock with supplier, no firm restock date
Stone Age - ordered from supplier - expect in 2-3 days

I don't know whether I should just cancel my order and get a refund. Conflict of Heroes was the primary game on my order.

I'm a little bemused because 3 days ago it was supposedly ordered from the supplier to arrive at BoardGameClub in 2-3 days. Now it appears it wasn't ordered at all.

I now have the same status on Stone Age but can't see how I can trust it because 'order from supplier' doesn't seem to mean that at all.

Anyone here used them who can offer any advice.

Thanks,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nigel

personally I always use either GamesLore or IGUK. Both tell the truth about whether a game is in stock and both dispatch quickly and efficiently.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel

I have bought stuff from them a number of times (and I should add I've played few games with the two guys who run BGC).

I understand they have been having some difficulties with their suppliers in last couple of months, and I have had a similar issue with an order where items were apparently coming into and going out of stock

I'd suggest that you drop them an E-mail to ask what the situation is. I'm sure they'll give you the best answer they can - and then it's up to you whether you want it quick or whether you want it with a substantial saving (I saw CoH for £57 pounds the other day in Central London - ouch!)

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ordering process is a bit arcane but I have always had good results from boardgameclub. I would recommend an email to the guy who runs it who is pretty helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Burns
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second that. They have had some major problems with their suppliers, but Peter will go out of his way to help you if he can. I ordered a couple of games from them recently - Agricola and Galactic Emperor. After a delay of a month or so (lack of GE stock) they sent me Agricola and Galactic Destiny. I was pretty peeved, and emailed them straight away. Within a couple of days I was refunded for Galactic Emperor and told I could keep Galactic Destiny for my trouble!!!

Of course, they are one of the only British retailers in the current climate who will offer anything like realistic game pricing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_mrholmes wrote:
Hi Nigel

personally I always use either GamesLore or IGUK. Both tell the truth about whether a game is in stock and both dispatch quickly and efficiently.

Mark

I'll second this recommendation. Top quality service from both of these, and good prices too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nigel,

Sounds a bit unfortunate with the orders, but these things seem to happen occasionally & Andy is right in that the ordering process does seem a bit strange at times - often the supplier have told an e-tailer that a game I want isn't out the following week; the next thing I know I'm told on the Monday that it is indeed in stock! Or vice versa; that a game's in stock, but they unexpectedly disappear.

Thankfully, I've not had many problems like this.

Shire Games always seems to be an excellent place to buy from as Nick Fisk always seems to only list the games he has in stock as they appear & pretty much get the latest stuff as they appear in the UK

E-mail boardgameclub, I'm sure they'll come to a reasonable solution for you.

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've contacted Board Game Club a couple of times with queries about whether or not a game was in stock. I've never received a reply and I have decided not to bother wasting any more of my time with them.

I use Shire, IGUK, Spirit and Maddison's quite regularly. The guy at Shire is particularly helpful I have found. I used to use Gameslore quite a bit, but I found the quality of his communication has fallen away, recently.

You could also look at Northumbria and Land of Games. Once again the Northumbria guy seems a decent enough sort of a chap.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romeo wrote:
Of course, they are one of the only British retailers in the current climate who will offer anything like realistic game pricing...

Although on some of the latest games they are currently more expensive than the normal game shops. So I bought my copy of Supernova (and a few other games) from Nick at Shire Games. Unless boardgamesclub offer substantial savings I don't tend to buy from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
Each time I go to make an order (of over £50) I check all the on-line stores for price and every time BoardGameClub has come in the cheapest. Yes their delivery times seem to have suffered recently due to problems with their suppliers, however my orders have always turned up and I've always found them really helpful when I've emailed them.

I've also had great service from Shire Games and Games Lore, as mentioned Shire Games stocks stuff you can't find anywhere else. However, when it comes to price I've not found anyone, and I've checked the German sites too, to be as cheap as BGC.

I have nothing to do with this retailer by the way - as mentioned by someone else I'm just really grateful for cheaper prices! When I see the price the American's pay it makes me green with envy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

It sounds like evrything is still okay but order status a bit screwy.

They have got back to me and said that CoH is okay even though my order says 'Out of Stock'.

And Stone Age is actually 'Out of Stock' even though it says 'In Stock'.

Confusing but as long as CoH is safe I'm comfortable.

It sounds like the suppliers keep are sending them stock update sheets which aren't upto date.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameClub
nheather wrote:
Thanks guys....It sounds like the suppliers keep are sending them stock update sheets which aren't upto date.
Nigel

Sounds more like they hold no stock at all prior to an order, which is why they have good prices, but limited reliability.
Your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had nothing but good experiences from BGC UK but I think if you order from BGC UK you need to not be in a hurry. Great prices, great guys if you email them. I believe it's run as a sideline, they are game enthusiasts passing on great prices from the distributors, and they have real jobs. The stock level system has been very dodgy recently! I always look there first.

If this isn't for you then I always find that Gameslore has the next best prices (just ordered CoH from them myself yesterday!), and Shire Games, IGUK, Green Knight games all have very quick turnarounds and good stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I've always had good experiences with the BGC. I'd highly recommend them. Sometimes it can take a little longer to get the games, but this is compensated by having the lowest prices in the UK.

If you're looking for more certainty about when you'll get your games, why not pop down to your FLGS and see what they can do for you?

Edit: In reply to Alan BGC operates under a minimum stock policy, which they state multiple times throughout their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not in a hurry - games are for Christmas.

Just really bemused by the nutty stock reporting system.

After my report this afternoon, BGC contacted me and assured me that CoH was OK and SA was out of stock (opposite to what the stock status showed).

They corrected that and my order status reverted back to the original

CoH - in stock
SA - out of stock

I've just recieved an automated update from BGC which has just reversed it all again

CoH - out of stock
SA - in stock

But I'm assured my CoH arrives with them tomorrow so fingers crossed and ignorring what the online system is reporting.

Quote:
Sounds more like they hold no stock at all prior to an order, which is why they have good prices, but limited reliability.
Your choice.

Apparently that's not the problem. The supplier\distributer doesn't have any Stone Age stock at all (makes sense as all online retailers are out of stock). But each day they are sending BGC an automated update reporting that they have stock.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.