Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of images of the insides or backs of rulebooks coming through GeekModding lately. My understanding based on previous posts on this topic is that rulebook covers are acceptable to approve, but that by default we should not be approving any other part of the rulebook. Many of the publishers do not want their rulesets made public, but even if they approve their distribution, they should be available in the files section - not photos. Besides which, they make for less than interesting images.

However, most of these recent photos of the insides or backs of rulebooks have been approved by GeekModders (myself not included). Can an admin confirm that these should not be getting through?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backs should be fine as well unless they contain rules.
I've also scanned and cropped setups and parts inventories from rule books.
These are useful without including the actual rules. What limitations exist about rule books I believe, are to keep the actual rules from being published without the creator/owner's consent.
Rules should always be used in conjunction with common sense when available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all text content like that should be submitted as files only. Not images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I think all text content like that should be submitted as files only. Not images.

And if its not available that way? Are you suggesting scanning and using OCR? Have you ever done something like that with a rule book?

The intent is to avoid people scanning rulebooks and posting them. That is a violation of copyright by stealing content. The intent is not to prohibit scanning of covers, backs or similar in a rule book for illustrative purposes (such as ToCs). Moding involves common sense people. Work on not approving images that are so small as to be useless instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pictures of the cover and back page of rulebooks help you identify them, but don't give away enough information to constitute a copyright violation. (Unless there are only 2 pages of rules!) I think this is OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Pictures of the cover and back page of rulebooks help you identify them, but don't give away enough information to constitute a copyright violation. (Unless there are only 2 pages of rules!) I think this is OK.

I completely agree with this. It's more of a "This is what's in the box" picture than a scan of the rules. Now, I'd definitely decline pictures of more than that (say each page, etc), as that should go in the files section. Just my interpretation of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Pengelly
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually accept front covers and reject back covers, especially when there's no information on the back to indicate to which game it relates to.
(Provided that the images are good enough to be accepted in the first place).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Sipe
United States
Troy
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps someone can answer this question that has nagged at me for a while now...Why is it acceptable to post pictures of pieces, cards, boxes, etc. when it is not acceptable to post scans of rules? The bits, cards, boxes are just as much a copyrighted part of the game as the rule set is (at least to my understanding), so what is the difference? I don't have any axe to grind, I'm simply curious what the rationale is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cwsipe wrote:
Perhaps someone can answer this question that has nagged at me for a while now...Why is it acceptable to post pictures of pieces, cards, boxes, etc. when it is not acceptable to post scans of rules? The bits, cards, boxes are just as much a copyrighted part of the game as the rule set is (at least to my understanding), so what is the difference? I don't have any axe to grind, I'm simply curious what the rationale is.

For the same reason you can post a picture of your car or sofa.
The pieces of the game won't let you play the game without the rules. So mere pictures of game parts can't circumvent buying the game, while having the most important part, the rules, could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Finfrock
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwsipe wrote:

My understanding is that only textual information can be copyrighted. The rules pamplets can (and are) copyrighted; the board, box, and bits can not be copyrighted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Copyright protects “original works of authorship” that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device. Copyrightable works include the following categories:

1. literary works;
2. musical works, including any accompanying words
3. dramatic works, including any accompanying music
4. pantomimes and choreographic works
5. pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
6. motion pictures and other audiovisual works
7. sound recordings
8. architectural works

These categories should be viewed broadly. For example, computer programs and most “compilations” may be registered as “literary works”; maps and architectural plans may be registered as “pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works.”

In other words, the entire "expression" of the game is protected; but not the mechanics explained in the rules, unless the rules are patented. The reason BGG may publish photos of games--a derivative work that requires the permission of the original copyright holder--is that most publishers allow it. Some don't, and their games have placeholder entries. Unlike trademarks, copyrights don't have a, "Defend it or lose your rights," legal requirement.

An example of copyright differences in game companies is while most game companies allow rules to be uploaded, RGG does not, so you find links to their rules in the links section instead of the actual rules in the files section.

The quote above might be a violation of copyright if it were from a game manual--fair use is pretty slippery--except, "Works by the U. S. government are not eligible for U. S. copyright protection."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.