Subject: What is my collection missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
A link to my collection ordered by my rating...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/kevintlee?sort=...

Based on my highest ratings I would greatly appreciate any recommendation with an explanation.

A few notes...
-not a huge fan of long games (more than 2 hours)
-not a huge war gamer
-to date I've tried to collect a "well rounded" set in order to appeal to many personalities (so if someone says, "I don't really like thinking games" I can rule out 2/3 and suggest a game from the remainder)

Thanks in advance. I'm excited to see what I'm missing out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jay
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* If you like Tikal, I'd suggest that you can't really go wrong with Torres, which has a similar action point system but also incorporates more spatial elements.
* If you're looking for another fun, eye-catching dexterity game, I've certainly had a lot of luck with Bausack
* I notice that you don't have a lot of area control games... You might want to look into El Grande, San Marco or Mykerinos if you're wanting to scratch that particular itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
CarnubaWax wrote:
* If you like Tikal, I'd suggest that you can't really go wrong with Torres, which has a similar action point system but also incorporates more spatial elements.
* If you're looking for another fun, eye-catching dexterity game, I've certainly had a lot of luck with Bausack
* I notice that you don't have a lot of area control games... You might want to look into El Grande, San Marco or Mykerinos if you're wanting to scratch that particular itch.

Quick response. I love it.

1. Although I love Tikal. I think I'm currently maxed out on the development (settler's) type game. I love modular to.
2. Bausack looks awesome. Definitely better than Jenga which is what I'd replace it for. (added it to my wishlist)
3. Nice pickup on the Area Control. The top two games on my wishlist are Area Control (China and El Grande are among the next to buy)

Thanks Chris, great suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers

So you have a party game besides Apples to Apples and a game that will appeal to trivia lovers you may come across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes and Stone Age should fit your lighter crowd.

Thebes is fun with a good use of theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu.

Very popular in Asia, but not widely known in North America (outside us geeks, of course). It will have familiar gameplay for most people you introduce it to (who hasn't played a partnered trick taking game?) but has an air of mystery that should prove intriguing to those involved.

Plus, it's a whole lotta fun once you learn it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Strand
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
You don't really seem to have any adventure type games, like Arkham Horror or Runebound (Second Edition), for example. They tend to be longer than 2 hours but maybe another geek could give an idea in that genre that would be short enough. (I have not played Shadows over Camelot so I am not sure if it is adventure style)

You could probably use another nice classic strategy Euro like Puerto Rico or Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I 2nd Stone Age. I don't see any ratings from you for Knizia games, aside from Lost Cities & Battleline - consider Ra or Modern Art. How about a short 2-player abstract, like YINSH or Hive? Blue Moon City seems to be a pleaser of non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Sobriquet wrote:
Tichu.

Very popular in Asia, but not widely known in North America (outside us geeks, of course). It will have familiar gameplay for most people you introduce it to (who hasn't played a partnered trick taking game?) but has an air of mystery that should prove intriguing to those involved.

Plus, it's a whole lotta fun once you learn it!

I've noticed a geeks with over games in their collection decribe himself as a Tichu Whore. Got to be something to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
pastabatman wrote:
I 2nd Stone Age. I don't see any ratings from you for Knizia games, aside from Lost Cities & Battleline - consider Ra or Modern Art. How about a short 2-player abstract, like YINSH or Hive? Blue Moon City seems to be a pleaser of non-gamers.

I want to try RA. My wife says she won't like any bidding games and hasn't supported this one. Medici was suggested as being preferred to RA by a friend who I play with regularly. I'll look into Yinsh and I've got Hive in the closet for my brother's Christmas present. I figure I should hold off on my own copy to make sure I play with him.

I ruled out Blue Moon City for crystals and dragon stuff. Same for Arkham Horror and Mr. Jack. Don't like the dark themes.

Modern Art didn't appeal to me. Probably read too many reviews that day but I remember someone saying that they figured out the general value of something and couldn't stop telling new players about them. Totally something I would do that would kill a game night. Best to avoid temptation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
kevintlee wrote:
I ruled out Blue Moon City for crystals and dragon stuff. Same for Arkham Horror and Mr. Jack. Don't like the dark themes.

BMC isn't dark at all. MJ is about as dark as Clue.

kevintlee wrote:
Modern Art didn't appeal to me. Probably read too many reviews that day but I remember someone saying that they figured out the general value of something and couldn't stop telling new players about them. Totally something I would do that would kill a game night. Best to avoid temptation.
I can't imagine what that was about. I can't think of any 'big secret' of MA that would ruin it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Mr Jack is based on a dark event/character, but the art in the game is pretty cartoony, and the theme is just window dressing for a fun little 2-player cat and mouse game.

Also I didn't recognize any role selection games on your list, and I recommend Citadels. It's a card game that plays pretty quickly and scales fairly well. It's currently one of our favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
I've noticed a geeks with over games in their collection decribe himself as a Tichu Whore. Got to be something to it.

There's something missing in that sentence, but I get what you mean

I also should mention that, although you're not much of a wargamer, you probably should have a wargame that fits your other criteria yet won't make your non-wargaming eyes bleed. Your current collection includes Battle Line, Stratego, and Risk, but I wouldn't really consider the first two "military strategy games", and Risk isn't the best example of one that is going to satisfy your gaming tastes.

Maybe a pseudo-war style game like Twilight Struggle would do the trick. Should clock in at no more than two hours, is not REALLY a wargame but deals with the cold war, and is just all-in-all an excellent game.

On that note, a politically themed game also seems to be lacking. How about 1960: Making of a President? Very similar to Twilight Struggle, so if if TS isn't going to float your boat, maybe 1960 will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
pastabatman wrote:
kevintlee wrote:

BMC isn't dark at all. MJ is about as dark as Clue.

kevintlee wrote:
I can't imagine what that was about. I can't think of any 'big secret' of MA that would ruin it.

I apologize for my nit-picky dislikes, some are irrational, others more warranted. I'm not sure where these two fall. I agree with your statements though; I don't think that BMC or MJ are dark.

For BMC the involvement with dragons and crystals is just too much. I don't like fantasy art or horror in theme or content.

Mr. Jack, no offense to the game, because it gets all the ravs from the right people; but I know about Jack the Ripper and it takes a gruesome historical event and villian and makes it fun and light. Just creeps me out. If it treated the gruesomness as the enemy that the characters fight, it would be fine.

I also grant that my take on Modern Art is derived but the bidding thing is kind of out for my wife anyway. I'd rather try and convince her to play RA or Medici.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell Santa to send you a Crokinole board for Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are missing a card game of the popular variety, i.e Race for the galaxy, San Juan or the currently hot Dominion.
Also someone else mentioned role selection. While Citadels is good, it's a bit light for me, so I would go with something like Cuba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
you like coloretto... so try zooloretto
I saw we have "common taste" so, recently i bought Ice flow and i like it very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gots to be Citadels.

For gaming value, it almost can't be beat. Price tag is pretty low. Plays varying numbers of players (1-7 if not more) well. Appeals to gamers and non-gamers alike.

If someone's looking for a "well-rounded" collection, and they don't have Citadels, then that's what I always suggest. It always gets play with my gaming group, and is agreed by most that it is the most "solid" game in my collection, meaning that it will always be playable (and that I should never consider trading it). It fits in really well as the 2nd game on a game day schedule. A friend of mine recently visiting from the Philippines had to get a copy for his group back home after playing it for the 1st time.

2nd behind that is Liar's Dice. A game where non-gamers can play with hardcore gamers and everyone has fun. Copies can be found cheap, or homemade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
strandiam wrote:
You don't really seem to have any adventure type games, like Arkham Horror or Runebound (Second Edition), for example. They tend to be longer than 2 hours but maybe another geek could give an idea in that genre that would be short enough. (I have not played Shadows over Camelot so I am not sure if it is adventure style)

You could probably use another nice classic strategy Euro like Puerto Rico or Power Grid.

Nice. Thanks. My good gaming friend has both Puerto Rico, Power Grid and Age of Steam. They're on the wishlist but far down. Currently I could just call him up to play or borrow his copy.

Great suggestions.

Shadows has a little adventure but is definitely more about cooperation. I want Pandemic but its on permanent pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Guantanamo wrote:

It would seem that as Ticket to Ride is to Age of Steam; so is Tikal to Thebes. (taking Tikal to a ho nava level)

Stone Age seems to be in the development (Settlers) type of range. I have Settlers and Tikal. Does Stone Age out rank either or do they have little to do with each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Sobriquet wrote:
kevintlee wrote:

There's something missing in that sentence, but I get what you mean

I also should mention that, although you're not much of a wargamer, you probably should have a wargame that fits your other criteria yet won't make your non-wargaming eyes bleed. Your current collection includes Battle Line, Stratego, and Risk, but I wouldn't really consider the first two "military strategy games", and Risk isn't the best example of one that is going to satisfy your gaming tastes.

Maybe a pseudo-war style game like Twilight Struggle would do the trick. Should clock in at no more than two hours, is not REALLY a wargame but deals with the cold war, and is just all-in-all an excellent game.

On that note, a politically themed game also seems to be lacking. How about 1960: Making of a President? Very similar to Twilight Struggle, so if if TS isn't going to float your boat, maybe 1960 will.

Sorry, edit glich. Saw one geek with over 500 games consider himself a Tichu Whore.

I liked the idea of 1960: Making of a President and Twilight Struggles. I've ruled out 1960 for the time being simply because its a 2-player only game. I can't think of a time anyone who'd play a 2-player game would want to make it a 90 minute one (usually translates to 120 for me)

Twilight seems awesome but heavier than the players I have readily available. I would buy it and see it sit on the shelf for 3 years before it would get played.

Great suggestions, all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
m_r_tyler wrote:
Tell Santa to send you a Crokinole board for Christmas.

Another great suggestion. I recently picked up PitchCar with first two extensions in stead of Crokinole.

I'll get it eventually. Great point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

It would seem that as Ticket to Ride is to Age of Steam; so is Tikal to Thebes. (taking Tikal to a ho nava level)

Stone Age seems to be in the development (Settlers) type of range. I have Settlers and Tikal. Does Stone Age out rank either or do they have little to do with each other?

I think Tikal is much more of a math (abstract) game where thebes is a card collecting time management game.

Have you player Pillars? Stone Age is more compared to that then Settlers. In settlers is more about building in order to collect and trading. Stone Age is a worker placement to collect to use to get points.

They really have a different feel.

All that being said I prefer Stone Age and Thebes over Settlers and Tikal (but not by much). I'm also a 'fan' of 'worker placement' games, you don't seem to have anything in your collection of that nature. Stone Age is a good introduction to worker placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
james_bond wrote:
you like coloretto... so try zooloretto
I saw we have "common taste" so, recently i bought Ice flow and i like it very much

Ice Flow looks absolutely awesome. It's on the wishlist now.

Zooloretto falls in my "previously owned" pile. I thought it was too simple to warrant a board game. I prefer Coloretto. I sold z and ordered c at the same time.

The one thing I'd say Z would be good for is to play with children. I didn't feel like holding onto if for 2-3 years to wait to play with my oldest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
Tichu.

Tichu is virtually unknown in Asia. It borrows features from some Asian climbing card games and adds some features that are completely alien... but the blurb on the box about millions playing every day in China is a joke. The largest group of Tichu players live in Germany, not China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.