Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Do we need a rating/user purge on BGG?
Should BGG delete users and their ratings if they have not logged on to the site in a certain number of years?
Yes
No
      159 answers
Poll created by fullerbd

While going through the user want list for Age of Mythology, I noticed that many of the users that rated it and have it on their want list for trade have not logged into the site in 2-4 years. These may be people who made multile user names to help a games ratings or just people that lost interest in the site. This may have been discussed in the past but I missed it if it was. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless there is strong evidence that these were shill accounts -- and there is already a shillbuster filter for that purpose -- then we must assume those ratings were legitimate. The fact that they are old does not make them any less legitimate. I rated "Puerto Rico" 2 years ago and haven't changed my rating since. Should that make it less valid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all, because you are still an active member of the site. I am talking about the people who have almost no profile info a few games rated and haven't logged onto the site in years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still make the same argument -- unless we know that those ratings were shills, they would have been valid when they were made. They add some small, useful amount of information to the overall rating, but not so much that it overwhelms the more up-to-date ratings.

The rating system is the collective average of many different people's opinions, made for many different reasons. I don't see that we can make guesses about intent or validity unless the rating is obviously made by a shill. (And in general, I think that coming to BGG, rating a few games, and eventually getting bored probably doesn't mean you were a shill -- maybe, but not usually.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. I realize this would shake up the game ratings quite a bit. It was a bit annoying that almost everybody that had listed the game as a want for trade, no longer visits the site. I know some other message board type sites will delete inactive users after a certain amount of time. I was just curious of the opinions here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
It was a bit annoying that almost everybody that had listed the game as a want for trade, no longer visits the site.

I can certainly the use of BGG auto-filtering "want in trade" or "have in trade" if the user hasn't logged in in a long time -- that's a clear indication that the user isn't going to respond to a trade request. But ratings are independent of being active on the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN! They must be purged!!!

Seriously, why consider this? These folks took the trouble to rate the games. Just because they haven't visited here in a few years is no reason to think they're not still gamers. Not every gamer frequents the Geek! I think eliminating their ratings causes far more problems than it solves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trades and ratings are totally different. Just because a person hasn't logged in for years doesn't mean that they're still not playing that game constantly, and still love it.

Trades, now that's clearly something that interferes with the day to day use by users. By all means I'd support clearing the "for trade" flag if you haven't logged in for a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't answer my own poll for this reason. I was looking for opinions. You all have convinced me that it makes sense for ratings should stay, but I do feel that the other profile info should be removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

People die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that for all places where we want up to date info on them (google map searches, trades) their boxes/names should start out "closed" like spam posts. You would have an option to open up all of them /close all of them. Or at least a grave emoticon next to their names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What preview button?
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Trades, now that's clearly something that interferes with the day to day use by users. By all means I'd support clearing the "for trade" flag if you haven't logged in for a few years.

There's any easier solution than this. Rather than manipulating data inside accounts without any real knowledge of the intent of the user, perhaps the best course of action is to ask Aldie to tweak the functionality a little bit so you can filter queries with a certain log in date for users, or even order the query by last login date or something to that effect. Seems like there is a programmatic solution to this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Dujo wrote:
ask Aldie to tweak the functionality a little bit so you can filter queries with a certain log in date for users, or even order the query by last login date or something to that effect. Seems like there is a programmatic solution to this problem.

YES!!!! PLEASE!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know if there's an easy way to look at a game's ratings by year, or by active user vs all users?

That'd be a cool feature if it's already implemented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
Unless there is strong evidence that these were shill accounts -- and there is already a shillbuster filter for that purpose --

So what does one do when we see a shill account? One that for example was made a few years ago, appears that they've logged in once (or only within a few days of creating their account), and have rated one game (usually a perfect 10, but sometimes a less-conspicuous 8.

Is there a moderator that we can report these accounts to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, just because someone hasn't taken the time to log in recently does not mean that they do not actively use the site without logging in. Such a person might justifiably be annoyed if you deleted his/her ratings.

I mean, why stop at their ratings? Why not their collection? Their contributions?

Before you posit that such people don't exist, I myself created my account back around 2004, rated a ton of things and entered my partial collection, then went into perma-lurker mode for a couple years. Sure, I forgot my password for most of that and finally had Aldie help restore it, but I would have been mighty annoyed to find my recorded information gone once I finally did log back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Long after I have failed to succesfully dodge a coffin and croaked, it will still give me a certain amount of schadenfreude to know that my former musings will haunt you lot for the rest of your lives.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
No.

People die.

Thanks, Randy,

Like I needed reminding?

Jim
Est. 1949

Right enough, some of us just hang around like a bad smell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.