Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Rayburn
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this game and love the theme, but after five or six solo plays, I have only lost once. I have played with either three or four gnomes every time. The last few times I have used the more difficult variant where "respite" cards are discarded permanantly. I have had a few close calls, but most of the time, things never really get out of hand. It almost feels like there should be more cards that increase pressure and heat. On top of that, with three or four gnomes, the Kraken rarely comes into play. So is it just me or is my experience fairly common? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I really don't think so. One rule that I am unclear about is the "faint check." Are those only made in the round that a grog card is played, or are they made at the end of every round in which you are still intoxicated? Thanks in advance for any comments or help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
Well I certainly hope this is not the norm because I just place an order for this game today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You make the check every round that you are intoxicated. (The only way to remove intoxication is by the one coffee tile)

Personally I think you need more than one player to have enough events to make things difficult just because you won't have enough of one type of event for it to matter much otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Beni
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a quick solo game with 3 gnomes and won (just barely). I then played 3 five-player games and we lost all 3. One time we lost before 1/4 of the time had elapsed.

Still too early for me to determine if we were just doing something stupid, if it was a lot of bad luck, or if the game is just really, really difficult.

I also wonder if the number of gnomes has anything to do with it.

And as I recall (I don't have the rules in front of me), faint checks are only made on the round you drink grog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, you make a faint check only on the turn you drink one more grog. That's largely enough.

And, no, I don't think the game is too easy. It's easier with less players, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
Yes, you make a faint check only on the turn you drink one more grog. That's largely enough.

Damn. I was taught incorrectly at GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rowdyray wrote:
I really like this game and love the theme, but after five or six solo plays, I have only lost once. I have played with either three or four gnomes every time. The last few times I have used the more difficult variant where "respite" cards are discarded permanantly.

So is it just me or is my experience fairly common? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I really don't think so.

Hmm. All the general experiences so far have been about the game being very hard (like Spencer, above).

Check those rules carefully, it's easy to miss something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We played a 7 player game and were within 10mins (game minutes) of winning. I was the first to hit the 0 min square on the time track. Just had to wait for everyone else, but none the less they didn't make it so I met the same demise as those dorks that didn't finish - helps if you don't play with morons. just kidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it true that once the middle star has been reached on the oxygen, heat and/or pressure tracks that it can never return to the beginning of the track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tygo wrote:
You make the check every round that you are intoxicated.

This should be an optional rule. It makes the game VERY hard to beat.

Another thing we played wrong initially is to resolve the events before making skill checks. I.e. you want to completely repair the reactor from the middle star, but you draw another reactor failure card - well bad luck you only repair one box (putting the marker on the middle star again). This also makes the game a little harder.

FiddlersGreen wrote:
Is it true that once the middle star has been reached on the oxygen, heat and/or pressure tracks that it can never return to the beginning of the track?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:

And, no, I don't think the game is too easy. It's easier with less players, though.

Shows what I know. No wonder gnomes were fainting all over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've lost two three-player games, the first handily, the second at about the two-thirds mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Tygo wrote:
You make the check every round that you are intoxicated.

This should be an optional rule. It makes the game VERY hard to beat.

Another thing we played wrong initially is to resolve the events before making skill checks. I.e. you want to completely repair the reactor from the middle star, but you draw another reactor failure card - well bad luck you only repair one box (putting the marker on the middle star again). This also makes the game a little harder.

FiddlersGreen wrote:

No.

Huh. My thought was with Simon Mueller.
So when is it possible to reset the blue, green, and red tracks to the first star once the marker has passed the second star?

Tygo wrote:
faidutti wrote:

I've played this incorrectly too. I thought as long as a gnome was intoxicated, a faint check was necessary.
Interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
We played a 7 player game and were within 10mins (game minutes) of winning. I was the first to hit the 0 min square on the time track. Just had to wait for everyone else, but none the less they didn't make it so I met the same demise as those dorks that didn't finish - helps if you don't play with morons. just kidding.

LOL....we had the same experience. We all made it to the zero mark…last card was flipped and we overheated and died….
Stupid gnome next to me pushed the RED button and not the GREEN button to open the hatch.

Eak God! We forgot he was color blind….D’HOH!

robot We all went blub blub blub…now we are YARD GNOMES! Sucks to be a gnome sometimes.

Edited for BOLDNESS sake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

This is not correct! If you reach the 5th (star) point, you can return the marker to the first (star) on the track if you successfully fix the problem. Once passed the 5th (star) mark, your sub is screwed!

See page 13 first paragraph. It states, "Successfully performing a Fix Reactor, Fix Engine, or Fix Oxygen action brings the corresponding Disaster Track Marker down to the next lower reset point on the Disaster Track."

See the I.E...to the fifth (star) space if it is on the 6th or higher position, or to the first (star) if it is on the 5th or lower position on the Disaster Track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
FiddlersGreen wrote:

It can, but it's difficult. Once the middle star has been passed over, you must fix the problem once to bring the track counter back to the middle star. Then, iyou can bring it back to the beginning of the track only if it's fixed again before any event moves it forward, which is not that easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tygo wrote:
faidutti wrote:

Could you edit your previous post? It's confusing since you were the first person to answer the op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe my friends and I just suck, because we haven't won once. We played 3 three gnome games and 1 four gnome game. In both play sessions, we played a final game where we removed some of the event cards (not respite) and the game was then too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Batista
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
It can, but it's difficult. Once the middle star has been passed over, you must fix the problem once to bring the track counter back to the middle star. Then, iyou can bring it back to the beginning of the track only if it's fixed again before any event moves it forward, which is not that easy.

Really!? We always played not allowing the full reset of the disaster tracks. Well, nothing like the word from one of the designers himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.