Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No Ogre 6e In 2009

We are closing in on a final schedule for 2009, and Ogre 6th Edition is not on it.

This makes me very unhappy, but I agree with the decision. There are two problems:

First and worst, we set a very high goal for the quantity and quality of boards and pieces. Think of it as the Designer's Edition . . . We'd have to compromise on this goal in order to bring the game in at a reasonable price, and right now printing costs are going up, not down. We will keep working on it, but we're not going to leave the game on the schedule when we don't know yet how we can do it. (This approach may work for GM on the Volt car, and we wish them lots of luck, but we're not going there. And remember, we made more money last year than GM did.)

Second, we are understaffed on the admin side. Until we can hire at least one more experienced game editor, print buyer, or development manager, we'll continue to generate ideas faster than we can get them to you.

-- Steve Jackson

So the question is: Do I buy Munchkin Quest to support SJGames till they crank out Ogre? Or do I hope that they will do ok and wait, sigh... ANOTHER year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as the 8th Munchkin expansion isn't delayed, I'm OK with this classic game remaining out of print. Priorities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are being reasonable and communicative about the situation (no matter how disappointing). If you want Munchkin Quest, get it. If not, get what you do want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The update is appreciated, and the delay is understandable particularly in light of staffing limitations and the need to shop around for cost-effective printing and die-cutting.

That said, I'd rather pay more for a deluxe OGRE that I would play, than support the firm in the meanwhile with a purchase I don't wish to play.

As a constructive suggestion, perhaps the printer who does Asmodee's work would be an option for deluxe OGRE. "Frontiers" is very well-produced for the price. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer.

I thought maybe I'd be buying a SJG product for the 1st time in over 20 years. Guess not.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
License it to FFG or somebody if you're not gonna do it yourself, Steve. Please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this, too. Highly disappointing.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
So sad. A few years ago I started working on my own large scale counter version of this game. Shelved it after this was announced. Looks like we won't see it for over a year at the very least so might resurrect my old version again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heiligmann
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
30 years ago, I was put on the original Car Wars!
mbmbmbmbmb
rackinfrackinblinkinblankincottonpickendingdangmuttergrumblekumquatrutabaga blankety-blank!angryangryangryangryangryangrye

had to edit for a ding-dang and a mutter grumble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
They are being reasonable and communicative about the situation (no matter how disappointing).

Thank you. We're trying to provide information on this project as it becomes available. It's not dead, only delayed.

Rindis wrote:
If you want Munchkin Quest, get it. If not, get what you do want.

I agree. It's better to buy a game you really want than it is to buy a copy of Munchkin Quest and then be unhappy with your purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Total bummer. Guess I'll buy Frontiers or Kriegbot while I'm waiting, or play some more Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 (speaking of nice counters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Usman Mir
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frontiers is an excellent choice. The cardboard pieces are of a good quality and really manage to put in a lot of information without spoiling the art.
The game even has an ogre like scenario that can be downloaded from the developers website, where your team of commandos or custom army needs to defend against a huge alien tank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Major bummer. Was really looking forward to a new version of Ogre to play this year, oh well, guess I just have to be content with Monsterpocalypse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up buying Kriegbot. Sort of thin components, but it totally feels like a 1980s Steve Jackson game, ala Car Wars, but in a good way.

I wonder why the makers of Frontiers can print up an affordable game with counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.