Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

A House Divided» Forums » Rules

Subject: GG Tips for quick concisce answeres - Many rules q's after the first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some have been answered, but I think we need a FAQ (of which there is one and I'm probably missing it)

Questions:

1) Let's say I'm in Atlanta, and my opponent moves in to fight. I bring in units in the second and third rounds to reinforce a battle and so does my opponent. I lose the battle by losing all my units.

Question: Do my opponents forces which were reinforcing return to their original city or do they remain in the new city

My guess: Yes they do since they came down the road to hear what all the goldarn noise was about.

2) Recruitment
Question: When a unit is lost in battle, it ONLY goes into the recruitment pool if it's a militia. Veterans and Crack veterans are LOST To the stock.

Guess: This is true.

3) Entrenchment
Question: I'm in a city with a permanent entrenchment and I bring in units to reinforce. These units are NOT ENTRENCHED (edited from reinforced) during the battle, but after the battle (assuming question 1 is answered as I guess) they are entrenched since all units in that square are.

4) Promotion:

It's my turn and I battle in two cities. I win one of them and my opponent wins one. We each get to promote one unit involved in the battle, and then I get to promote any other unit on the board ANYWHERE, correct?

Guess: Yes

5) Marches:

If I have a stack with 3 units on it (all foot units) they can all "Go their own way" as part of the march (one can go on road, one can go on railroad, one can go on river). Each unit can only participate in 2 marches per movement phase.

6) The numbers in the recruitment squares:
If I understand correctly these not how many units can occupy the squares or anything, it's just a number which you have your army total lowered by if you lose the square (i.e. you can't recruit as many units since the opposing side owns your center now).

Question: Do the neutral recruitment centers count for adding to your recruitment total if you occupy them? If so then I'd guess if you lose them and the other side gets them they move up and you move down.

Is the # of total armies at the beginning of the game based on the total of all the numbers in the recruitment centers each side OWNS in their color,or is it an arbitrary number. (I know I could count, but I'm assuming someone knows)

If I can get these questions answered, I might be able to produce a video tutorial on how to play the basic game which I think would help SO many people! :-)

Thanks so much! GG tips for quick concise answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) They remain in the new city.

2) True

3) You are correct that they are not entrenched when they move in. To entrench them you would have to spend a march on a future turn. They do not automatically become entrenched after the battle.

4) Yes, promotion is a separate action conducted after all battles are resolved. Any unit on the board may be promoted except for crack units which are at the top of the food chain.

5) True

6) Yes, you get the value added to your army size if it is your color. The other side does not get the added recruitment if they occupy unless there is also a number for them in the same space. There a couple of spaces on the map that can be recruitment centers for either side. You do lose the recruitment center (which reduces max army size) if your opponent occupies a center that belongs to you, but they do not gain from it other than preventing you from recruiting there. Another note on this, Cavalry can only effect a recruitment center while on the space. When they leave, it reverts back to the original owner, unless foot soldiers are also present.

Yes, the starting total number of armies represents the active recruiting centers available at the start of the game. Obviously, the number will adjust up or down when recruiting centers are gained or lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Websteria wrote:
Some have been answered, but I think we need a FAQ (of which there is one and I'm probably missing it)

Questions:

1) Let's say I'm in Atlanta, and my opponent moves in to fight. I bring in units in the second and third rounds to reinforce a battle and so does my opponent. I lose the battle by losing all my units.

Question: Do my opponents forces which were reinforcing return to their original city or do they remain in the new city

My guess: Yes they do since they came down the road to hear what all the goldarn noise was about.

Not sure I understand your question. You bring in reinforcements only if the battle is continuing at the time of reinforcement. If all your units in the battle are destroyed in the second round, you don't get to bring more troops in at the end of that round to continue the battle.

Quote:
2) Recruitment
Question: When a unit is lost in battle, it ONLY goes into the recruitment pool if it's a militia. Veterans and Crack veterans are LOST To the stock.

Correct.

Quote:
3) Entrenchment
Question: I'm in a city with a permanent entrenchment and I bring in units to reinforce. These units are NOT reinforced during the battle, but after the battle (assuming question 1 is answered as I guess) they are entrenched since all units in that square are.

Not sure what you mean by "not reinforced during the battle", but yes, they would be entrenched after the battle since the entrenchments are printed permanent ones.

Quote:
4) Promotion:

It's my turn and I battle in two cities. I win one of them and my opponent wins one. We each get to promote one unit involved in the battle, and then I get to promote any other unit on the board ANYWHERE, correct?

Guess: Yes

Each battle allows the winner to promote one unit that participated. In addition, on each player's turn, they get one free promotion anywhere (think of it as intensive training).

Note that there is a popular house rule that the free promotion cannot be from Veteran to Crack; Crack troops would only be available through battlefield promotion.

Quote:
5) Marches:

If I have a stack with 3 units on it (all foot units) they can all "Go their own way" as part of the march (one can go on road, one can go on railroad, one can go on river). Each unit can only participate in 2 marches per movement phase.

Correct.

Quote:
6) The numbers in the recruitment squares:
If I understand correctly these not how many units can occupy the squares or anything, it's just a number which you have your army total lowered by if you lose the square (i.e. you can't recruit as many units since the opposing side owns your center now).

There is no stacking or occupation limit in any square. The recruitment numbers just determine your maximum army size (on the whole board).

Quote:
Question: Do the neutral recruitment centers count for adding to your recruitment total if you occupy them? If so then I'd guess if you lose them and the other side gets them they move up and you move down.

Recruitment numbers in your color apply to your army maximum while you occupy them. If a recruitment city only has a number in your opponent's color, you can only deny him those points, they don't count for you.

Quote:
Is the # of total armies at the beginning of the game based on the total of all the numbers in the recruitment centers each side OWNS in their color,or is it an arbitrary number. (I know I could count, but I'm assuming someone knows)

Your maximum army size should equal the total of your recruitment points controlled. However, under some optional rules the Union gets +4 army size when it gets the draft units each April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott is right about the 'permanent' entrenchments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Websteria wrote:

Questions:

Not sure I understand your question. You bring in reinforcements only if the battle is continuing at the time of reinforcement. If all your units in the battle are destroyed in the second round, you don't get to bring more troops in at the end of that round to continue the battle.
[/q]
What I meant was if you do bring in reinforcements while the battle is still raging, when the battle is over do ALL units which were brought into the battle as reinforcements and survived (and won) get to stay in the new city or are they returned to their original cities?

Quote:
3) Entrenchment
Question: I'm in a city with a permanent entrenchment and I bring in units to reinforce. These units are NOT reinforced during the battle, but after the battle (assuming question 1 is answered as I guess) they are entrenched since all units in that square are.

sdiberar wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "not reinforced during the battle", but yes, they would be entrenched after the battle since the entrenchments are printed permanent ones.

I actually mean "not entrenched" during the battle. So the question would say "These units are NOT Entrenched during the battle, but they are afterwards"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Websteria wrote:
What I meant was if you do bring in reinforcements while the battle is still raging, when the battle is over do ALL units which were brought into the battle as reinforcements and survived (and won) get to stay in the new city or are they returned to their original cities?

Any reinforcing units MUST stay in the battle city, assuming they survive.

Quote:
I actually mean "not entrenched" during the battle. So the question would say "These units are NOT Entrenched during the battle, but they are afterwards"

From the 3.1 version of the rules available here: http://www.alanemrich.com/Games_Archive_pages/AHD_pages/ahd3...

"Defending units that reinforce a battle fought at a Permanent Entrenchment (e.g., Vicksburg) are not considered entrenched during that battle."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Websteria wrote:

Any reinforcing units MUST stay in the battle city, assuming they survive.

Quote:

From the 3.1 version of the rules available here: http://www.alanemrich.com/Games_Archive_pages/AHD_pages/ahd3...

"Defending units that reinforce a battle fought at a Permanent Entrenchment (e.g., Vicksburg) are not considered entrenched during that battle."

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. You guys all rock and have been given the geek gold I can afford for your answers. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.