Subject: Teaching AGot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
After seeing this game and wanting it for a while, I picked up at a 20% off sale ( along with KiY and BGotW for Arkham) and I'm just wondering if anyone has any good tips for effectively teaching this game.
It does seem like a pretty straight forward game, but there are a lot of Important sub goals that lead towards the main goal of capturing and holding the most castles/forts. My group is pretty good at grasping games fairly quickly, but I don't want anyone to be put at a disadvantage by me leaving something out.
any tips would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical points for new AGOT players [IMHO] include the following:

MECHANICS
1) Order tokens are resolved only one per player at a time, in the order on the Iron Throne track, even when the orders are the same type; not all of a player's at once
2) Emphasize that Raid orders can cancel other Raid, Support, and Consolidate Power orders, but NOT Move or Defense orders
3) Although Units that start in the same area can split up and move to more than one area using a single order, a Move order can initiate a maximum of 1 combat
4) Raid and Support orders work only Sea-to-Land, never Land-to-Sea

TACTICS
1) Units can move more than once per turn by appropriately cascading move orders
2) Ships can be used to move units to any area that reachable by a connected string of ships (love that strategic mobility)

STRATEGY/PLAYBALANCE
1) In five-player, failure of the Lions and the Squids to come to an immediate accomodation usually gives Baratheon an early victory. There's too many easily accessable cities in the Southeast and Martell can't hold off Baratheon without help from the Lions at Harrenhall, especially with an early muster. And the Lions can't help if they're struggling in the arms of the Kraken.
2) Playing with the Ports from the first expansion helps balance the game for noob Lion and Stark players. Otherwise they're too often Squid bait, especially the Mangy Fleabags at Winterfell.

ERRATA
1) Ensure the Squids are last on the Raven track at the start of the game

Enjoy the game - it's one my top five favorites!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool,
thanks for the reply, I'm excited to give it a go. Some good tips there.
[q1) In five-player, failure of the Lions and the Squids to come to an immediate accomodation usually gives Baratheon an early victory. There's too many easily accessable cities in the Southeast and Martell can't hold off Baratheon without help from the Lions at Harrenhall, especially with an early muster. And the Lions can't help if they're struggling in the arms of the Kraken.[/q]
?
Should I tell the group this or let them fig it out on their own?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ca_squires wrote:
Cool,
thanks for the reply, I'm excited to give it a go. Some good tips there.
[q1) In five-player, failure of the Lions and the Squids to come to an immediate accomodation usually gives Baratheon an early victory. There's too many easily accessable cities in the Southeast and Martell can't hold off Baratheon without help from the Lions at Harrenhall, especially with an early muster. And the Lions can't help if they're struggling in the arms of the Kraken.

?
Should I tell the group this or let them fig it out on their own?

Chris

[/q]

I'd explain it to them. I usually tell them that treaties are huge. Lannister either has to make happy with the Squid or needs to be prepared to not give up the easy mark and try to get help from Tyrell. The other houses are generally able to feel around for what they need to do.

One thing that I have discovered that is needed with new players or even ones who haven't played as much - remind them about city count for victory. Don't have a roll call anouncement but at the start of each round just say, "Remember to count the controlled cities." This helps to keep players from going in to a defensive 'turtle' mode at the cost of letting someone waltz to an easy victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
well,
since posting this I got the game out twice, first game 5 players all new, second 5 player only one new guy the rest played the first time.
Teaching went pretty smoothly, not real problems here.
During the second game, we forgot totally about the routed units but it had only a small impact on the game. most of the fighting early on was confined to Tyrell and Greyjoy. while the rest of the families just eased their way around the board.

The reaction to the first outing of the game was mostly positive. The second outing brought much more enthusiasm. The war stories part of the clean up was much more excited. After the first game, mostly it was just talking about rules and corrections, this time it was about how such and such territory was vital to so and so's plan, and alot of cursing on the raids.
The raids saw little action during the first half of the second game. Until it was fully evident how much damage they could do to plans, and every one like raiding consolidate power orders.
I'm quite pleased that this one went over so well, it'll be seeing table time when the five man group is around. Problem is now the expansion is calling out to me to enable 6 man warfare. Oh well, guess I'm going to have to start buttering up the Girlfriend so my next purchase is as smooth as possible.
"Hey babe, look how much I could save by ordering this right now online than waiting to buy it at the comic store!!! I can't not buy it!"
Thanks
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey again,
So we played a another 5 player and a 4 player game, both went over great. Some of the group find it a bit of a chore with the book-keeping aspect, ie the number of armies and the supply chart management. But everyone else thinks it is great, as do I. I love the fact that you have more than one way to cut down an army.
I really like this game. Alot.
So I went and got the expansion. Since our group is usually 6 people, it was an easy choice for my recent order. The next task for me is to make the introduction of Ports, Forts, and Siege engines.
The ports will be the toughest followed by the siege engines.
max 3 ships, counting against the army limit. raid out of, but only out to sea, not to land. Ships can march into or out of, but cannot be attacked. How the Consolidate power action is different with ports. And what happens when a land territory is taken by an enemy containing a port.
But the positives of having Ports in play definitely outweigh the negative in the learning curve increase. If there really is any increase.
Well here Goes,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.