Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
With all the new games coming out week to week - month to month. How often do you revisit some of the good games from the past?

Me for example I always have a hard time getting the oldies but goodies back on the table because everyone wants to play the latest and greatest, and I stupid enough to just keep buying games so that I set myself up for failure when I want to get an older game on the table.

I have thought about having a "Retro Night" on our game night, meaning the only games that we will play are games that have been out a year or more.

Has anyone else had this dilemma, how did you handle it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have a retro night. We did that one night and had a blast. Played games that came out 1982 and before. Fun and there are some real good ones too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
We have done just that on various game nights. Where we just select games that are X years or older. It has been fairly successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Invest in BreaKeys. The game is literally destroyed upon each play, meaning you have to buy more. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear what you are saying. In our group it seems a game becomes 'retro' after a month, never mind a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I need to quit buying new games so we're forced to play stuff we've already played. Typically in my group, a long new game (2+ hrs playtime) gets played twice before it sees the shelf. The shorter new games get played a lot more often because, well, they're short. So lately I've been concentrating on shorter game purchases just to keep the value for my dollars high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I'm SO glad I'm not part of a group that is just a Cult of the New.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I noticed early on that I was starting to play games just the once and then wanting to try something else. So I've stopped that now and make an effort to play only a handful many times so I at least get to know and understand them properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group regularly play games that are not 'new' but we rarely play anything more than 10 years old. I have a large collection of games and we tend to play something different every session.

The only 'old' game we have played recently is Aquire.

At the moment we are busy playing all the Essen releases and so far I have to say that none have grabbed me. We still have to play Le Havre, Dominion (although the only player in my group who bought it has already sold his copy) or the expansions to Galaxy trucker or Race for the Galaxy all of which seem to have promise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Of the top 10 (being that all are a year or older) how many times have you played these games.

Poll
1. Puerto Rico?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21+
Not at all
2. Agricola?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21+
Not at all
3. Caylus?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21+
Not at all
4. Power Grid?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
20+
Not at all
5. Twilight Struggle?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21+
Not at all
6. Tigris & Euphrates?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
20+
Not at all
7. El Grande?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21+
Not at all
8. Race for the Galaxy?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21+
Not at all
9. Princes of Florence?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21+
Not at all
10. Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21+
Not at all.
      59 answers
Poll created by jjloc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
I have thought about having a "Retro Night" on our game night, meaning the only games that we will play are games that have been out a year or more.

Wow! Pretty soon Retro is going to bypass us completely!

Since I bring all of the games to my regular group, I teach everything. That means I bring at least something we've played before so we can just play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to get a good strategic game, play it to death, and move on. All the new games are interesting and tempting, but in the end I most enjoy learning a good game inside out and getting to my best level of play. Even with wargames, I prefer to play the same scenarios repeatedly, trying different strategies and the like. That makes my need for new games small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Oh, I'm SO glad I'm not part of a group that is just a Cult of the New.

Out of curiosity, what games does your group play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main gaming group is large enough that we usually have 2-3 tables going, and we have enough fans of older games (5+ years) that at least one old standby usually hits the table each session. In the past few months older games have included Acquire, Princes of Florence, Circus Maximus, Ra, Taj Mahal, Air Baron, Power Grid, Ticket to Ride: Europe, and a bunch more that I'm forgetting. It also helps that we periodically get newbie gamers who are delighted to see so many of the BGG top 50 all along one wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play stuff with Daughter the Elder and/or Daughter the Younger that were part of my games collection when I was their age. Sure some stuff may sit on the shelves for years, even decades, but some of them will keep coming back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.