Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Burns
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched the rule book and couldn't find my answer, maybe I just missed it or maybe it's just incredibly obvious and wasn't included.

How do you play curse cards out? I asume you simply "buy" them and throw them in an opponents deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just buy it, then it would go into your hand (If you are trying to run out the deck to end the game)

The normal way is to play the Witch card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:
If you just buy it, then it would go into your hand (If you are trying to run out the deck to end the game)

Bzzt. If you buy it, you gain it as you would any other card (onto your discard pile.

Quote:
The normal way is to play the Witch card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burns
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So besides the Witch card, mostly because it's highly unlikely to use curse cards to end the game (the provinces will almost always run out first) the curse cards are just decoration? Is there any other strategy for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the witch isn't in the game, you can basically leave 'em in the box. They're a penalty you inflict on others via the witch: I'm not sure what else you're looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattburnsey wrote:
So besides the Witch card, mostly because it's highly unlikely to use curse cards to end the game (the provinces will almost always run out first) the curse cards are just decoration? Is there any other strategy for them?

The short answer: The Curse card is only used with the Witch.

The long answer: In the base set of 25 Kingdom cards, the Witch is the primary method for bringing Curse cards into play. But it is perfectly legal to Buy a Curse card, and there are some obscure circumstances in which you might want to Buy one. Some of them are explained here in the Dominion forums on the Geek. According to the rules, Curses are always on the table, but your group may decide to just leave them in the box unless the Witch is in play. The development team has said that there will be additional ways to use the Curse in future expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burns
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalabur wrote:
If the witch isn't in the game, you can basically leave 'em in the box. They're a penalty you inflict on others via the witch: I'm not sure what else you're looking for?

Just a little more justification for them being in the box to start with then to use with only one card.

I may just keep the rule to throw them in an opponents deck, it adds a little value to anything with a +1 buy.

Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not playing with the Witch, may as well keep the Curse deck in the box. Otherwise, the following situations can be done with Curse cards and the Witch in play....

--buy out the Curse deck to end the game quicker. They cost 0. Recall any 3 decks that get depleted ends the game, which does include the Curse deck. The Curse cards will go down naturally with the Witch around (in theory of course, it doesn't always). Copper also costs 0, but there are far more in a deck than curses, so usually Curses getting depelted is easier to do, especially if you have multiple buy actions

--If you have multiple Gardens, it may be worth taking a Curse to get you above the "multiples of 10" card count threshold. E.g., you have 4 Gardens, going from 39 cards to 40 cards means you get -1 for the Curse, but +16 for the Gardens (total of +15) instead of just +12 for having 39 cards. Granted, a Copper would be better without the -1 effect, but that could be done in conjunction with ending the game quicker.

--Remodel a curse into an Estate or some 2-cost action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:

Actually - if you buy it, it will go onto your Discard pile. From where it may end up in your hand, if you happend to draw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T D
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am betting my friends will keep their rule that you can buy a curse and place it in an opponent's discard pile.

They love their games to be as mean as possible. Heck we played with the Barbarians in Cities and Knights being twice as strong as they should be because it just felt right and no one thought to check the rulebook to see if we were doing it right!

Cheers,
Psektos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the curse deck run out because one of the players that I've played with is just a bit overly fond of the witch laugh

Curses are not all that bad, usually though. Remodeled curses are cool, discarding them via the chapel is never bad, &c. I wouldn't have any problem with people actually buying them if it was legal because I think it would usually be a terrible waste of resources. They can be a PITA if the witch cards are flying, but in general they can be dealt with, and often pretty efficiently. The opportunity cost of actually paying currency for them would put the buyer behind the curve with even semi-experienced groups methinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played for the first time last night and I wondered about the curse cards. I knew the witch used them, but the rulebook confused me here:

"The Curse cards are also available in every game. Place 10 Curse cards in the
Supply for a 2 player game, 20 Curse cards for 3 players, and 30 Curse cards for
4 players."

I've only got a few games under my belt, but I can't imagine these would ever get used outside of the witch. Buying out the curse deck to try and end the game seems like a risky proposition since they're -1 VP each. If I were buying freebies with the intent of trashing them I'd be much more likely to be buying up free copper cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
I've only got a few games under my belt, but I can't imagine these would ever get used outside of the witch.

That's because you haven't seen ALL the cards the designer have come up with!
(Not to mentioned those hat still hasn't been thought of)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Mr_Nuts wrote:
I've only got a few games under my belt, but I can't imagine these would ever get used outside of the witch.

That's because you haven't seen ALL the cards the designer have come up with!
(Not to mentioned those hat still hasn't been thought of)

Right, I meant I can't see where how it would be used (apart from the Witch) in the card set it's currently a part of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
We played out first game this evening (my 7 year old won with 39 points, I had 29, my 11 year old had 22) and we simply house-ruled the curse cards since the rules lack the needed explanation "Curse cards are only in play if the Witch card is in play."

Our house rule was anyone could buy one in their buy phase and add it to their discards, and when one came back in your active hand (of five) could play that against another player's dominion as their (usually single) action. Not into your opponent's discard pile though, simply as a marker that remained in their lands and counted for -1 VP at the end for them. Mind you, if you were caught with one in your own hand at the game end, it counted against your own VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
the rules lack the needed explanation "Curse cards are only in play if the Witch card is in play."

The rules lack that explanation because that explanation is not part of the rules (neither as printed nor as intended).

The Curses are always in play. They're seldom added to anyone's deck, though, unless the Witch is in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Pape
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about a possible use for a curse in a game without a witch. What if it had a cost of -1 instead of 0. That way on the turn that you buy it, you would have one more gold to spend that round. That would make a big difference near the end of a game, if you had an extra buy from your action, and only 7 gold to spend. You could still buy a province if you bought a curse also. It would also make it less valuable then copper when using the Remodel card, which makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psektos wrote:
I am betting my friends will keep their rule that you can buy a curse and place it in an opponent's discard pile.

Huh. Well, money on Free Parking may be one of the worst house rules ever, but some people still play with it. So, heck, you and your friends have plenty of company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartolbe wrote:
I was thinking about a possible use for a curse in a game without a witch. What if it had a cost of -1 instead of 0. That way on the turn that you buy it, you would have one more gold to spend that round. That would make a big difference near the end of a game, if you had an extra buy from your action, and only 7 gold to spend. You could still buy a province if you bought a curse also. It would also make it less valuable then copper when using the Remodel card, which makes sense.
Interesting point on using Remodel with a Curse card if the latter were to cost -1. However, it seems that would "disrupt the flow" of building up to buy Duchies and Provinces by making those available too soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.