Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wong
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the rules explicitly state anything about this, but can you count the cards in a deck to determine if you want to end the game or not or maybe to see how many more rounds it could go?

My group doesn't allow counting but it gets brought up once in a while. BSW tells you how many cards are left in a stack. Do you or your group allow counting or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
We always allow counting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be able to count the decks so you know whether you may use the Observatory or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with counting the remaining cards in each stack, though I suspect in practice this isn't done until one gets a sense that one or more are getting low.

Eric Brosius wrote:
You must be able to count the decks so you know whether you may use the Observatory or not.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

He must mean that you cannot take the last card by using the observatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnaut wrote:
He must mean that you cannot take the last card by using the observatory.

Yes. If there is only 1 card left in a stack, you cannot take it with the Observatory. If there are 2 or more cards left, you can take the top 1. Hence, it must be legal to count how many cards are left in a stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Favaretto
Italy
Casier
(TV)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Yes. If there is only 1 card left in a stack, you cannot take it with the Observatory. If there are 2 or more cards left, you can take the top 1. Hence, it must be legal to count how many cards are left in a stack.

Well, actually this only proves you can know when a deck contains just one card (you should draw the card using observatory without looking at it, if you see no more cards are in the deck then you put it back in the deck face down).

That said, we allow players to count the cards, too. Actually, in the italian translation of the rules we learned the game from, there's a note explicitly saying that any player can count the cards anytime (don't know where that note came from).

Ciao
Marco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.