Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just love Navia Dratp and have done since I found the game a couple of years ago. Since then I've been collecting the pieces and now I finally reached my goal of getting 2 full sets of all Maseitai.

However, during these two years I've hardly ever played in real life. My wife hates chess and is intimidated by the fact that I used that comparison when I introduced the game, and my competitive friends don't want to play since they think I'd have too much of an advantage since I've known the game for so long.

Just recently I managed to convince my closest gaming friends to come over for a tournament. Hoora! I spent many nights at work (yes, I work shifts) thinking about what format to use for the tournament and I finally decided that we'd have a Draft Tournament.

I was expecting 5 of my friends to show up, so I prepared by setting up three boards and lining up all 88 Maseitai from my collection on my kitchen table. It was an awesome sight. Two of my friends however cancelled but Niklas, Rasmus and Samuel showed up ready for some Navia.

Only one of them had played before, so we started off by introducing the rules. Fortunately they're pretty simple, but I also wanted to explain several of the Maseitai's abilities since we were going to draft our armies. When they all were ready we started the draft. We used a simple draft scheme since we're all old CCG-ers and ended up with an army of 10 Maseitai each (7 are used in the game and we had a small sideboard for tweaking the army between rounds). Everyone got to pick the Navia that they thought was coolest as well.

At this point we were eager to get started. The draft was a great way to select armies but it took quite long, especially since my friends wanted to think long and hard between all choices since they weren't familiar with the pieces. I felt pretty confident with my army that had a good mix of control (Midrah), cheep/mobile (Viskunmateus), and heavy Maseitai.

Since there were only 4 of us we decided to play everybody against each other. We randomized the game order and set off. My first game was against Rasmus who had played the game with me before. We both played a very disciplined game without anyone making any mistakes. In fact, we were fighting for every inch of the board for a LONG time, but finally after two and a half hours he got my Navia cornered on one side of the board and could eventually close me down.

Niklas won his first game against Samuel with an army of two Gyullas Turtles bringing home the crystals.

At this point we realized the games took a lot longer than expected. We decided to just go directly into a final between Niklas and Rasmus and I played Samuel for third place.

Samuel suffered from inexperience in the draft because he had selected an army that was a bit weak. Each piece was good individually but together it was just a bit light-weight and I took the game fairly easy.

In the grand final Niklas muscled down Rasmus' army for the glory. Niklas final army was:
M003 - Hamulus Garuda
M007 - Tiny Kiggoshi
M010 - Moses
M012 - Gyullas Turtle
M012 - Gyullas Turtle
M023 - Hansa
M024 - Kapinahs

WHAT I LEARNED FROM HOSTING THIS TOURNAMENT
1) A draft is a lot of fun, but takes time.
2) Plan for long games (1.5 - 2 hours).
3) Inexperienced players can quickly learn the game and compete in a tournament.
4) Playing the game IRL is a whole lot more fun than playing the game online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Koff
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Deebs, I enjoy playing the game over skype.
As for the draft, you need but one set of Maseitai for two boards:
1-Deal out 10 cards to each player.
2- Each player discards 3 cards face down to the player accross from them.
3- Add these 'new' cards to your hand and discard final three from your hand of 10.
Now each player has 7 different Maseitai on the board. It looks cooler, and plays better
-Dude

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion dudical. I chose to include all maseitai in order to make it possible to have two of the same piece. I also enjoy playing with skype, but I think there's a certain feel to staring at your opponent that you can't get when you're not face to face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Koff
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm,
True, you can have two of the same figure on either side but the game looks and works better when every figure is different as the designer intended. The doubles rule was made as a marketing ploy which worked to a certain extent but ended up pulling the game down
But I too sometimes do like playing doubles.
-Dude

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beginners certainly can play, and win, tournaments: I've seen it happen too. A strong Chess background is the usual explanation, at least in my experience. Where that can fail is when Navia Dratp-unique trickery is used, like bouncing Hansa, destruction, teleportation... or Gyullas Turtles.

For myself, I'm a chess hater like your wife. Fortunately, I'm willing to try most games once, and am an anime fan to boot. Equally fortunately, good army design and trickery can get you quite far in this game: I was able to compete with several Chess players quite well, until they learned enough of my tricks to shut them down...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.