Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that if you use a thief on an opponent with 1 card in their deck (and no discard pile), and the opponent doesnt moat, then the game will be messed up and become uncontinuable.

This can happen in a chapel game where one gets their deck down to 6 cards and then the opponent thiefs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cantrell
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the problem here. If you play a thief and your opponent only has one card in his deck (and no discard pile) then he flips over that one card and that's it. If it's a coin the thief can take it.

I don't see why the game becomes uncontinuable because of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Scamp wrote:
I don't see the problem here. If you play a thief and your opponent only has one card in his deck (and no discard pile) then he flips over that one card and that's it. If it's a coin the thief can take it.

He's playing the computer version. It crashes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
I have found that if you use a thief on an opponent with 1 card in their deck (and no discard pile), and the opponent doesnt moat, then the game will be messed up and become uncontinuable.

Did this happen to you today, by any chance? If so, I was totally going to win. :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Happened to me last night and, if you were the opponent, you were totally going to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Isn't playing a slim chapel deck against a thief ... suicidal? I mean, aside from the BSW computer implementation committing seppuku at the circumstance... for Chapel to work, you're purging the Coppers from your deck and running slim and trim with a few Golds, right? And if the Thief takes your Gold (odds are pretty high!)... aren't you thoroughly pooched?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
donaldx wrote:
Scamp wrote:

He's playing the computer version. It crashes.

Still... despite being reported 3 weeks ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your going to lose and your opponent is thiefing you...chapel away your deck!

Then they crash the game and you dont lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Isn't playing a slim chapel deck against a thief ... suicidal? I mean, aside from the BSW computer implementation committing seppuku at the circumstance... for Chapel to work, you're purging the Coppers from your deck and running slim and trim with a few Golds, right? And if the Thief takes your Gold (odds are pretty high!)... aren't you thoroughly pooched?

That's a tough one. In most cases, by the time they buy the thief and draw it and actually manage to steal something, you can be up to 3+ gold cards, in which case you can usually just buy more gold. At that point it just becomes a question of how many gold cards to buy/replace, what other action cards to buy, and when to start going crazy with the 6 point cards.

I bigger threat to the Chapel plan, IMHO, is the Witch. Sure, you can Chapel away those -1 cards, but you spend too many turns doing that and being short on cash instead of being able to buy 6 or more VP a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

If you have one Moat, the odds become pretty low, but not zero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A similar bug is playing the library when you have no cards in draw/discard. I saw this today playing against someone doing a hard chapel game who only had 4 cards in the deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be the same type of bug as in the BSW version of San Juan:

A couple of years ago my wife and I deliberately kept the game going by Chapel stuffing and not constructing the 12th building (to see how many points we could get). Same crash happed when Councilor was chosen and it couldn't fill the selection amount.

It appears with the BSW interface that when you deck cycle and both the draw and discard are empty, it goes gulp

I still don't know if they fixed the SJ bug, but maybe they can hit 2 birds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.