Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've played Scarab Lords and enjoyed it. I'm one of those nuts who was even happy enough with how Scarab Lords played that I ended up trading away all my Blue Moon sets for better stuff and have enjoyed the younger sibling of this game design. Yeah, I'm an apostate.

That said, I've only played single match games. So as my boy Chance wants to play a game late on a Friday night, I pull out Scarab Lords determined to change my trend towards this game. "We've going to play the advanced rules, my buddy!" He's game for it so we shuffle through and I end up with the blue deck and he plays the red.

First Match
I start as first player and go with a quick phase 2 power card in upper region's religious sector and play a God card in supremacy. We bicker back and forth over the upper region while Chance resigns the lower region to me. I put up some resistance in the upper region - specifically in the religious sector but Chance is just pegging me away with curses. I've got somewhere of eight scarab tokens on two power cards on the upper region religious sector. Suddenly I play the Mass Purification card that removes all scarab tokens in one region and the tide is turned. Chance's refreshing his hand a couple times is now a weakness to his draw pile and I deck him out soon afterward.

I felt pretty good as I had probably 8 or so cards in my deck when Chance decked out. We go to the customize phase between matches and Chance likes what he sees in the deck. We both had discarded four cards so he takes a few minutes to figure out what he wants to replace. I had tossed Plague of Ash and tow of my The Seven Sphinxes in order to go after more 0 and 2 phase cards. I get a few good things and actually snag Khamal the Eternal the 0 phase leader from Chance's Red deck. I'm surprised he had dropped him but I wasn't going to complain.

Second Match
To be honest, I thought that with my pick ups that I wasn't going to have any issue with the second match. Hmmmm.... That didn't turn out to be the case. I got one God card out in my first turn and then Chance walked all over me. He preceded to replace my God and keep that center square for the rest of the game. He had Khema out that allowed him to take off a scarab token every turn as a free action. He never relinquished that power. He quickly took both military sectors and proceed to somehow surgically strike all my gods out of my deck every time he used military supremacy. When I made what I thought was going to be a good counterstrike, Chance played timely Servant of Shadows to selectively eliminate the minions that were about to give him any trouble. He had this game in hand and with a few strategic Retribution to double his military discards, Chance quickly decked me out.

So I got a lesson in humility and knowing that acknowledging the Gods had some great benefits. I discard my other two The Seven Sphinxes plus two other cards and still concentrate on getting 0 and 2 phase cards - albeit with an emphasis on balancing the favor of the Gods.

Final Match
I start with an interesting play of The Great Pyramid with two scarab tokens on it in the lower religious sector and the God Ahtu to get a second phase 1 action. Chance counters with two cards for 8 power against my The Great Pyramid and takes over the God sector with Khema again. Oh... boy.... Well, I came down with Mass Purification to get the Pyramid going again and we struggled in a hard fought battle. I pretty much had the lower region under control but Chance had resistance in place and was contesting for the upper region in all due respect. We battled it out but I finally got a few things going when my own Servant of Shadows showed to make some assassinations while Chance couldn't respond. I was soon sitting at total control of the lower region and then followed up with playing a card from each phase during one turn with one card going in each of the upper region sectors to garner me control. Chance struggled a bit and was on the verge of decking out but got beat through Supremacy check when he only had one card left in his deck.

I AM THE RULER OF HEKUMET! PEOPLE OF THE TWO REGIONS BOW TO THE CHOSEN ONE! No, I didn't really say that. Though it was a good game and Chance enjoyed the tweak builds between matches. I like this aspect of the game and its a much easier way to customize and respond to the decks than what I saw with Blue Moon. I'm liking this game and enjoy the area control emphasis over the almost pure trick taking nature of Blue Moon. This was session to re-emphasize that for me through enjoying the advanced rules finally.

Thanks for the read. Hope you enjoyed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! How old is your boy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report for an underrated game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good and pretty thrilling report! Thanks!

Got my copy of Scarab Lords yesterday. Can't wait to play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.